wrongwheeldrive
wrongwheeldrive New Reader
2/22/13 3:04 p.m.

So, I'm registered for the NJ ProSolo. I am trying to decide on what car to drive, as I currently have several options. In addition, I'm a poor college student, so I would really like to be able to win some contingency $ in order to help fund some good summer tires to replace the worn star specs on my DD. My options are as follows:

1) Drive my father's Miata in STR. Its 90% prepped right now, but I don't think we will have new tires in time for the event. I'll have to run on either 16x7's with 3 yr old RE-11's, or try and borrow a friends 195 toyos on 15x7.5's. However, 85% of my seat time is in FWD/AWD cars, and I will only have 1 event in the car before the pro. In addition, the class is stacked with 18 drivers, many of whom are top-notch, meaning the chances of me winning are slim.

2) Drive a friend's RTF/RT2 prepped HS mazda 3 in STF/S3. The PSI for STF is generous, and RTF isn't THAT far off full STF prep. I have the choice of running Z2's on 6.5in rims or Z1's on 7 inch rims. S3 is shallower than STR with only 8 entries, and I would most likely fare better than I would in STR, especially since I already have some seat time in this car. Can I hang with FSP, SMF, and GS in a RTF car with STF pax and the torquey 3?

3) Drive a Evo 9 in STU. The car is currently underprepared, and that likely won't change for the pro. It would also mean I have to take the truck and trailer down instead of my fuel efficient DD.

4) Drive a SSM miata. This will be the first real shakedown event for the car, and I will have to supply 15x10's with hoosiers from our SMF car. SSM only has 2 registered drivers right now, meaning no contingency.

5) Drive a HS 1991 civic si in RT2. The car will be on my old, 15,000 mi/115 run star specs, and up against the evil mini. I am however extremely familiar with the EF chassis.

So, GRM, which option would you choose given my options?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
2/22/13 3:08 p.m.

I would lean towards the SSM Miata. Just the feeling I get and sometimes you need to go with your gut.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/22/13 3:08 p.m.

I'd pick the car I can drive in my sleep. You don't want "communications issues" in you situation.

peter
peter HalfDork
2/22/13 3:15 p.m.

Honestly, how likely are you to win that contingency?

My take - unless you're realistically in the running to win the tires, run something you'll enjoy, or help someone out and run something that will "make" a class.

wrongwheeldrive
2/22/13 3:20 p.m.
peter wrote: Honestly, how likely are you to win that contingency? My take - unless you're realistically in the running to win the tires, run something you'll enjoy, or help someone out and run something that will "make" a class.

I won SMF at the toledo pro last year, and took second at the Northeast national tour, running our SMF car in SSM.

N Sperlo wrote: I would lean towards the SSM Miata. Just the feeling I get and sometimes you need to go with your gut.

The car is still in the build process, there is no doubt there will be teething issues around the time of the pro, so that makes this a tough choice to justify. It would certainly be a blast, but the car can't yet keep up with Jake's rx7, and there is not enough entries to have 2nd place contingency.

BoxheadTim wrote: I'd pick the car I can drive in my sleep. You don't want "communications issues" in you situation.

I've autocrossed all of the above except the meotters, so am pretty comfortable in most of my choices. FWD is certainly my "thing", but I adapt pretty quickly to most cars.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
2/22/13 3:24 p.m.

No offense intended, if you're needing contingency money for a set of tires, you might need to rethink what you're doing.

My advice, take something fun.

wrongwheeldrive
2/22/13 3:30 p.m.

In reply to yamaha:

None taken.

By no means do I need it, but it is something I like to keep in mind. Making my hobby cheaper is always a plus.

crxmike
crxmike New Reader
2/22/13 7:05 p.m.

You running a full pro solo season? Then there's the answer. Whatever class you run whole season.

I wouldn't want to shakedown Leafy's ssm car at the pro, no thanks.

I think I would run stf car.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/22/13 7:14 p.m.

Oh it's not a currently "done" ssm miata?

Leafy's car looks like it's going to spend a year getting dialed in. I wouldn't drive that if you have contingency chance in other classes.

crazycanadian
crazycanadian New Reader
2/22/13 8:04 p.m.

I don't see much good contingency chances in all your options... Its hard to say.. I would probably stick with what would be the most fun... STR is a really hard class to compete in..

wrongwheeldrive
2/22/13 8:21 p.m.
crxmike wrote: You running a full pro solo season? Then there's the answer. Whatever class you run whole season.

If I were to run the whole season, it would be in SMF with the CRX. It's not going to be back together in time for NJ.

crazycanadian wrote: I don't see much good contingency chances in all your options... Its hard to say.. I would probably stick with what would be the most fun... STR is a really hard class to compete in..

Yeah, none are ideal options, which is why I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do. STR would likely be the most fun, but also the place I'll probably do the worst. But maybe I should step up to that challenge, the experience certainly won't make me a slower driver.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
2/22/13 8:25 p.m.

I would choose someone I get along with. Or LeMons.

mw
mw Dork
2/22/13 9:42 p.m.

It sounds like the 3 is your best option, but on street tires, it's likely the slowest and least fun to drive.

kazoospec
kazoospec HalfDork
2/23/13 9:00 a.m.
mw wrote: It sounds like the 3 is your best option, but on street tires, it's likely the slowest and least fun to drive.

If the goal is contingency $, this is, unfortunately, probably the correct answer. I'm by no means a top flight driver, but held my own locally in STX with a FWD SE-R. I switched to a Miata two seasons ago and it took a full season before I started to be competitive again. By way of disclaimers, I'm old, and don't learn new stuff nearly as fast as I did in my 20's. The truth is, though, there is a difference in driving theory, lines, braking points, throttle input, etc. between FWD and RWD. If you've done this for a while, you probably already know that. If your goal is to win money, even if your adjustment period is way faster than mine was, you'll probably be out of the "money spots" before it happens. That said, for the fun factor, switching platforms/classes is a hoot and driving in a well populated class makes an event so much more enjoyable. Do it, and forget the "money". So I'm saying drive the STR Miata.

crazycanadian
crazycanadian New Reader
2/23/13 10:00 a.m.
wrongwheeldrive wrote:
crxmike wrote: You running a full pro solo season? Then there's the answer. Whatever class you run whole season.
If I were to run the whole season, it would be in SMF with the CRX. It's not going to be back together in time for NJ.
crazycanadian wrote: I don't see much good contingency chances in all your options... Its hard to say.. I would probably stick with what would be the most fun... STR is a really hard class to compete in..
Yeah, none are ideal options, which is why I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do. STR would likely be the most fun, but also the place I'll probably do the worst. But maybe I should step up to that challenge, the experience certainly won't make me a slower driver.

Yeah at this point I would probably go with STR even though I might get my but handed to me... I think the fun factor/lessons and driving experience will be much higher then any of your other choices...

Hopefully some day I'll see you down at nationals in lincon. I have an SMF mazda 323 I am building..

wrongwheeldrive
2/23/13 10:30 a.m.

After sleeping on it and much thought, I think I am going to stick with STR. Like you guys stated, it's going to be the most fun. Plus, someone who has won national hardware in a STS miata offered to co-drive with me and supply tires. I know I can learn a lot from him, so this option will improve me as a driver the most.

crazycanadian wrote: Yeah at this point I would probably go with STR even though I might get my but handed to me... I think the fun factor/lessons and driving experience will be much higher then any of your other choices... Hopefully some day I'll see you down at nationals in lincon. I have an SMF mazda 323 I am building..

I look forwards to seeing some variety in SMF! Someone has to keep the Honda's in check :)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oDg7LNuxdrlMUV4VZ4o7rgvqc2SJ3dMZ8NrW2kJLGg6xFo5APNSI0zCZAUToPvp1