FMK
FMK None
6/23/12 7:25 a.m.

I would like to autocross my 2012 Mini Cooper S Convertible and wondered if any one else has or seen one and how well it behaved? I am not looking to win a national championship, just enjoy my Mini at local events. I have been autocrossing on and off for 30 years in all kinds of cars, but never a convertible (at least not one that wasn't designed to be one). Mods will be minimal, some tires and an alignment, will stay in stock class. Mainly wondered how much flex I can expect? Any other concerns, advice?

thewheelman
thewheelman New Reader
6/23/12 12:14 p.m.

The last season I autocrossed, there was a guy that ran his Cooper S 'vert in stock very successfully. Car was completely unmodified (stock shocks/struts, brake pads, etc.). He'd show up with his top down, and his r comps in the passenger seat and rear seats, swap wheels and race. Do it!

yamaha
yamaha Reader
6/23/12 12:16 p.m.

Probably little to no flex.....the mini is a pretty stiff chassis to start with.

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
6/23/12 12:52 p.m.

I autox'ed our base '07 vert during a number of events. It was also basically stock with 205/50-16 Star Specs. The only upgrade we did was a take off Cooper S rear bar. It did quite well and even beat a couple of cars that were on old r-comps and better drivers (one has since moved to a newer Cooper).

If we had kept the car I was going to lightly prep it for STF, which would have increased tire life a bit.

Go for it. The MINI is a stiff chassis even as a vert. The extra weight will keep it out of the trophies at the national level, but locally it'll be fine.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kMr6WQXbmPsUdX2OFJmYg27jlBpC3Jnggl9COIqpQRgxGWkQhtSXJK0rTEAJQOvS