1 2 3 ... 9
M030
M030 HalfDork
6/11/13 8:43 p.m.

What car related stuff really irks you?

For me, it's referring to first gen Rabbits as Mark 1s & second gens as Mark 2s, etc. a Mark is a Lincoln or a Jaguar.

Oh, and I hate those neon lights some people put under their cars.

Finally, large (18"+) wheels on old cars. They look stupid & make the car drive like crap.

/rant over

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory HalfDork
6/11/13 8:54 p.m.

I hate when in a movie or a tv show, they use car terms that are wrong or never existed.

I REALLY HATE using the name Jeep when referring to anything other than a Jeep like a Scout or Samurai etc.

Carro Atrezzi
Carro Atrezzi GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/11/13 9:08 p.m.

Speaking of Jeeps, their choice to power the newest Wranglers with high HP, low to medium torque engines. Give me 100 less HP and 50 - 75 more lb*ft down in the rev range where a sane person drives and I'll be happy.

Yes, I know I'm a whiney bitch...you don't have to tell me

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/11/13 9:10 p.m.

There are a handful of cars from the early 90's that I'd like to own, but refuse to, because they are equipped with those stupid automatic seatbelts.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
6/11/13 9:12 p.m.

1 Automotive peeve is when people don't understand torque/horsepower and the relation between the two.

Carro Atrezzi wrote: Speaking of Jeeps, their choice to power the newest Wranglers with high HP, low to medium torque engines. Give me 100 less HP and 50 - 75 more lb*ft down in the rev range where a sane person drives and I'll be happy. Yes, I know I'm a whiney bitch...you don't have to tell me

As opposed to low hp, low tq engines?

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory HalfDork
6/11/13 9:13 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
Carro Atrezzi wrote: Speaking of Jeeps, their choice to power the newest Wranglers with high HP, low to medium torque engines. Give me 100 less HP and 50 - 75 more lb*ft down in the rev range where a sane person drives and I'll be happy. Yes, I know I'm a whiney bitch...you don't have to tell me
As opposed to low hp, low tq engines?

Give me a Buick 455 in a CJ!

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
6/11/13 9:39 p.m.

I drove a big v8 CJ once. It had a misadjusted shifter and a 1st-gear lockout eliminator in the valve body. It went into first when it shouldnt have at about 30 mph, the big-ass motor didnt spin up fast enough (dragging the rear wheels), and it spun into a curb and flipped. Ripped one of the wheels off knocking over a fire hydrent. Luckily missed some trees. I was fine, jeep was trashed. All over a misadjusted shifter and a perfect storm of things caused by various mods, foremost being the 1st gear lockout elimination.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/11/13 9:42 p.m.
M030 wrote: What car related stuff really irks you? For me, it's referring to first gen Rabbits as Mark 1s & second gens as Mark 2s, etc. a Mark is a Lincoln or a Jaguar. /rant over

I can see that with VWs.. considering we called the 1st gen Rabbits and the 2nd gen Golfs.. when they were all Golfs in the rest of the world.

I also think the Mk1, mk2 thing is a VW factory thing. That is how they refer to them

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
6/11/13 9:43 p.m.

hellaflush/stance/ultra-stretched tires.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltraDork
6/11/13 9:53 p.m.

" I have a FK with an SB16RBJ."

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/11/13 9:55 p.m.

Oil filters that are in stupid places.

Cars that require you to remove a plastic undertray held on with clips that break as soon as you look at them in order to change the oil.

Putting 12 different little badges on a car to advertise the options it has (this seems to have fallen out of favor)

Cars with no center armrest.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/11/13 9:59 p.m.
M030 wrote: What car related stuff really irks you? For me, it's referring to first gen Rabbits as Mark 1s & second gens as Mark 2s, etc.

You kids and your newfangled codes can stuff it. It will always be A1/A2/A3 to me.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/11/13 10:00 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: " I have a FK with an SB16RBJ."

Dude, you're trollin'. The SB16RBJ was JDM-only, NA only ever got the SB16WTF.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/11/13 10:36 p.m.

My main automotive peeve is the drivers behind the wheel of just about every car on the road. Dealing with the machinery is the easy part.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon Dork
6/11/13 11:17 p.m.

Drivers that have their wipers on full blast during the lightest sprinkle.

People that don't use turn signals.

Neon SRT 4s. They seem to be the bromobile of choice these days.

doc_speeder
doc_speeder Reader
6/11/13 11:50 p.m.

CumminGs...

doc_speeder
doc_speeder Reader

Intake track

doc_speeder
doc_speeder Reader

Disc breaks

doc_speeder
doc_speeder Reader
6/11/13 11:51 p.m.

Manufacturers that refuse to put proper diffs in high power FWD cars. Take a lesson from the SRT4 and Cobalt SS.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 HalfDork
6/11/13 11:56 p.m.

Dumb cars with big wheels (I think donk is the correct term?)...ie, barely running Grand Marquis's with 26" rims, a full vinyl wrap in the Skittles logo, tint that looks like they sprayed black paint on the windows, and a rattling trunk from all the bass in their stupid "music".

M030
M030 HalfDork
6/12/13 12:04 a.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

No it isn't. The factory calls the 75-84 cars A1s, the 85-92s A2s & so on. It got confusing around 2000 when the fourth gen cars were internally A4s but had nothing to do with the cars Audi marketed commercially as A4s. That's when this Matk 1, Mark 2, etc. nonsense started. I first noticed it around that time in a British VW magazine.

M030
M030 HalfDork
6/12/13 12:07 a.m.

You tell 'em, Knurled!

AverageH
AverageH New Reader
6/12/13 12:33 a.m.

When tires make a burnout squeel sound when in the dirt in movies. I always notice it. Oh, and drift charms on fwd cars, and the stick-on Buick badges that people have been putting on their doors lately like a guy down my street.

-Hamid

novaderrik
novaderrik UberDork
6/12/13 12:58 a.m.
AverageH wrote: When tires make a burnout squeel sound when in the dirt in movies. I always notice it. Oh, and drift charms on fwd cars, and the stick-on Buick badges that people have been putting on their doors lately like a guy down my street. -Hamid

cars can and do make squealy burnout noises on gravel. they can even make much glorious tires smoke, too.. i've tested it myself and seen it tested by others on many occasions..

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
6/12/13 1:02 a.m.

I can think of a lot...

People who intentionally ruin a car because they are too cheap/lazy (like buying a neon and driving it until the timing belt breaks 20k miles past when it should have been changed). Then they complain that they need a car and want someone to help them do something about it.

People who would rather scrap a car that is hard to find and could easily be sold for much more than the junkyard paid, even if it wasn't running.

The terms "long legs", "all the money", "fright pig" and a few others I can't remember, mainly seen in bring a trailer comments.

Craigslist ads that read some variation of "PRICE REDUCED FOR QUICK SALE, NEEDS TLC, I KNOW WHAT I HAVE SO NO LOWBALLERS, SERIOUS BUYERS ONLY, DONT WASTE MY TIME. NO PHONE CALLS, PUT(some random word) IN THE SUBJECT OF YOUR EMAIL OR IT WILL BE DELETED"

People who can't negotiate an on ramp in their new BMW nearly as fast as I can in my 30 year old mercedes, or as a good driver in a semi truck.

1 2 3 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZJOmZmxmkeWCVYKOA2AjdqIjjwe6q9X8XIjIo8jxe8ZREvlJW40d7SSovgdDsIQN