1 2
jdbuilder
jdbuilder Reader
9/13/13 5:52 a.m.

Not a bible thumper here, but do have to say, there is nothing like a great running car to thank God for. Guess Ive driven enough POS's to where now every time I jump in the E36 M3/4/5 or the CTS-V I cant help but send a shout out to the Big Guy in the Sky. Anybody else go through this?

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
9/13/13 6:07 a.m.

I'm not religious, but I'm thankful to have a reliable daily driver that gets me to and from my job without worry.

My geo is running again, too, and I'm also thankful for that......it gives a wonderful peace of mind to know that you have a backup car to get to work if need be. I know many people who don't have that ability.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory HalfDork
9/13/13 6:08 a.m.

I keep that to myself 99% of the time but yes! I will readily admit to this (and for the family and life I was given).

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/13/13 6:09 a.m.

Yes.

Some of the POS cars I've driven combined with some of the POS circumstances (-15*) often get a thank-you-God! from me .

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
9/13/13 6:12 a.m.

Being an atheist, I prefer to thank the wonderful engineers who create the better cars out there, with a slight nod to the bean counters that allow it to happen.

jdbuilder
jdbuilder Reader
9/13/13 6:16 a.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: I keep that to myself 99% of the time but yes! I will readily admit to this (and for the family and life I was given).

Exactly, I always keep it to myself because I don't want to sound all "who shall ye art thou" but had to ask because I figured I cant be the only one who sits in his car and thinks thank you God

jdbuilder
jdbuilder Reader
9/13/13 6:22 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv:

I can respect that... its still being grateful...

octavious
octavious Reader
9/13/13 6:24 a.m.

I thank God daily for all the blessings he has given me. And when I had a job were I spent 10-12 hours a day in a car, I prayed to God every day that he would watch over my family while I was gone, and that I would make it home safe. When I am out driving, I have on multiple occasions thanked him for the beautiful scenery and creations. (Anyone that has cruised the Blue Ridge Parkway when the leaves are changing knows what I am talking about)

I don't think I have ever thanked him for a car running correctly, mostly because if I worked on the car it probably involved some form of cussing or me throwing things. So I probably should pray for forgiveness for cussing and help with anger management at an inanimate object instead.

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
9/13/13 6:43 a.m.
ddavidv wrote: Being an atheist, I prefer to thank the wonderful engineers who create the better cars out there, with a slight nod to the bean counters that allow it to happen.

Amen!! Oh wait, I'm a stout atheist too, I can't say that, can I? But yes, I'm thankful to the engineers, designers, plant workers who made it possible for me to press a button on my dash and start driving.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
9/13/13 7:20 a.m.
octavious wrote: I don't think I have ever thanked him for a car running correctly, mostly because if I worked on the car it probably involved some form of cussing or me throwing things. So I probably should pray for forgiveness for cussing and help with anger management at an inanimate object instead.

this

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
9/13/13 7:25 a.m.

I usually give the car a hearty pat on the dash and a "good boy!" (comes from years with horses).

Such as last night, moving my MX3 four miles after it's sat for almost two years...

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory HalfDork
9/13/13 7:25 a.m.

I found it funny how this thread and the "O Lord the temptation" thread were #1and #2 when I got up this morning!

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/13/13 7:51 a.m.

Be thankful not just for a car that runs well, but your skills that allow it to continue to do so!

Verthandi, Urdr, and Skuld get regular thanks from me

Luke
Luke UberDork
9/13/13 8:19 a.m.

The other week, I had one of those 'zen' moments of driving in the Alfa. I'd recently given it a tune-up, was running late for work, so set off in the morning with a purpose. Maaaan, I was hitting all the green lights, nailing my shifts, blipping the throttle appropriately, driving a little harder than usual, but not obnoxiously. The car was totally on-song, and it was just a good, satisfying drive. Now it's leaking coolant...but you win some, you lose some.

beans
beans HalfDork
9/13/13 8:26 a.m.
Lesley wrote: I usually give the car a hearty pat on the dash and a "good boy!" (comes from years with horses). Such as last night, moving my MX3 four miles after it's sat for almost two years...

I do this almost every time I get into my car and it's a beautiful day out. "Goooooood Hondaaaaa, gooooooood Hondaaaa, don't spit a rod out the block ol' girl." or "That'll do pig, that'll do."

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/13/13 8:30 a.m.

To me, a good running car costs more than a POS that is unreliable. Since money comes from work, not God, I thank my job skills and hard work every time my car starts on a cold morning. But to each his own, thank Henry Ford or Mr. Daimler if you want to.

hotchocolate
hotchocolate New Reader
9/13/13 11:44 a.m.

I thank Him every time I get into my 95 camry wagon junker on a hot day and turn on the COLD AC.

I bought it late in the fall of last year at night and in desperation. I didn't even think to check if the AC worked and at the time I wouldn't have cared if it didn't. I needed a running car. Spring comes around and surprise of surprise my 217k junker has one of the most effective AC systems I have ever owned. Very thankful for that especially this year and thankful He watches out for me even when I don't have the presence of mind to watch out for myself. Just like a good father does.

The fall drives also make me do that. Looking forward to that again this year.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
9/13/13 12:41 p.m.

The man, the road, the car
A triune spirit, drawing man
Into the eternal heavens
Lifting his thoughts to the Almighty

The purging fire
Transforming death into life
An eternal moment
Captured in time

Hundreds, nay thousands
Come together
Under the tent of the sky
To see what man hath wrought

Creature like Creator
Bending matter to his will
Beauty out of formless mass
Order out of chaos

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Dork
9/13/13 12:48 p.m.

If I think of my self as (a) god, then yes. I'm thankful for my skills and money for keeping the car running great.

I do thank FSM for a fantastic noodley dinner every once in a while though

tpwalsh
tpwalsh Reader
9/13/13 1:18 p.m.
Cone_Junky wrote: If I think of my self as (a) god, then yes. I'm thankful for my skills and money for keeping the car running great. I do thank FSM for a fantastic noodley dinner every once in a while though

I read this as "I do thank the factory service manual for a fantastic nood.. hey! wait! My manual doesn't cover dinner! Is that in an addendum?!"

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Dork
9/13/13 1:23 p.m.
tpwalsh wrote:
Cone_Junky wrote: If I think of my self as (a) god, then yes. I'm thankful for my skills and money for keeping the car running great. I do thank FSM for a fantastic noodley dinner every once in a while though
I read this as "I do thank the factory service manual for a fantastic nood.. hey! wait! My manual doesn't cover dinner! Is that in an addendum?!"

Yes, but you have to have the latest revised addition.

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
9/13/13 2:26 p.m.

I thank God every day for everything.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
9/13/13 2:58 p.m.
tpwalsh wrote:

Jerry
Jerry Dork
9/13/13 3:05 p.m.

I lean more towards Buddhism and Karma, so I'd like to think if I do good things in life I get rewarded with a Scion that's been awesome in it's lifetime.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
9/13/13 3:25 p.m.

Like Lesley, I pat the dash and thank the car. According to my religion, I AM thanking God.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5HZNI6fgcWCoZ5RtFS3j8LaXXTtJ6EzZkpXbzi5sZD0IC31DwUeRZOYJIpgMd358