foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
12/12/12 9:42 a.m.

My latest inner-web shopping toy.

I'd carefully avoided it, while clinging desperately to SearchTempest.

Dang! Should have switched! AutoTempest rocks! I can hunt ebay, craigslist, cars, autotrader, and a few others I've never heard of, all at one time.

http://www.autotempest.com/

andrave
andrave Dork
12/12/12 9:52 a.m.

search tempest was AWESOMEEEEEE!!!! and then craigslist killed it. and every time I've used it since you had to open each craigslist in a separate window its been a little bit different as tempest tried to tweak it to do something... but its never been the same. And craigslist itself has improved, by giving you results for "nearby" cities on the same page.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
12/13/12 6:02 a.m.

Auto Tempest is the bomb. I was just as reluctant as you, but finally sucked it up and learned to use it. If you're looking for a specific year car like I am, make sure the search option at the top looks for both two and four digit years.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltraDork
12/13/12 7:39 a.m.

Well great. Another distraction in my life.

I did see a Triumph Italia for sale on fleabay!

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Reader
1/29/15 7:30 a.m.

Time to see what the twins are going for used around here, since I don't want to buy a new one!

Contradiction
Contradiction Reader
1/29/15 8:29 a.m.

Autotempest found me my 84 GTI, which to my surprise was right under my nose in Chicago.

I was looking at another 84 GTI that a friend owned and I had known of the car for several years and it was a great autocross car in it's hay day, but it has since gotten worn down and had some rust issues. So I got on Autotempest and typed in "VW Rabbit" hoping that maybe I would find a clean southern shell to swap parts onto.

Low and behold I find my bone stock, 77K mile, well preserved 84 GTI and it's 2.5 hrs away from me! I jumped at the chance to get it and saw it 2 days later and put a deposit down. Very happy to end up with a much cleaner example to start with.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
1/30/15 7:07 a.m.

Maybe AutoTempest is good at finding weird cars, but it comes up practically empty when searching for a Dodge Grand Caravan or a Chrysler Town & Country.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JRugcyhrQy4I35hCr9vDqSUpgi31xGQl5FSMjkHpT7H76oVBqG5W8dXbt0gfUuAO