Craigorypeck
Craigorypeck New Reader
11/26/17 3:04 p.m.

My project is running two water to air intercoolers and I've ditched the power steering pump so I have a spot to mount a belt driven water pump to supply the coolers. Trying to avoid electric pumps if I could, just seeing what's out there that can be remote mounted and not part of the engine assembly! 

Just use the power steering pump!!?? 

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/26/17 4:05 p.m.

I think some Chryslers used remote waterpumps. I know original Saab 900s did once they ditched the triumph engine

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/26/17 4:15 p.m.

A lot of cars may have belt driven water pumps, but most are going to be integrated to the head/engine they came from (see any v8 water pump).

Maybe you can use one from like a gsxr motorcycle and see if you can find a way to belt drive it.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
11/26/17 4:22 p.m.

Both Ford and Chrysler have had water pumps driven off the back end of the camshaft on the V6 engines.  I think they are fairly free standing.  Escapes from the previous generation spring to mind.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
11/26/17 4:29 p.m.

Get a water pump for a 1947 Plymouth.  They are belt driven, mount separate and a common pump used on industrial and farm equipment.  $35 on (GRM advertiser) Rock Auto.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/26/17 5:45 p.m.

I have long been contemplating using a Volkswagen or Chrysler 2.2 water pump/housing assembly as an aux pump just for this purpose.  It's separate from the engine and the housing-engine interface could easily just have another water neck bolted to the flange.

Craigorypeck
Craigorypeck New Reader
11/26/17 6:20 p.m.

You guys rock.. 

That's a very decent starting point for me. 

Thanks 

Max Balchowsky
Max Balchowsky New Reader
11/26/17 6:29 p.m.

Another option - The water pump on the Jaguar AJ6 I have in the garage is powered by the front end accessory drive if I recall correctly. My motor came out of a 1988 XJ6. 

Craigorypeck
Craigorypeck New Reader
11/26/17 6:32 p.m.
Dr. Hess said:

Get a water pump for a 1947 Plymouth.  They are belt driven, mount separate and a common pump used on industrial and farm equipment.  $35 on (GRM advertiser) Rock Auto.

Like this??

www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/plymouth,1947,p15+deluxe,3.6l+218cid+l6,1486706,cooling+system,water+pump,2208

That comes with a rear outlet and gasket so it gets attached to something. Have I got the wrong thing?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
11/26/17 7:58 p.m.

Yeah, that was it.  You would have to fab up something for the back, but the whole thing bolted up to the top front of the motor.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
11/26/17 7:59 p.m.

Here it is installed:

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
11/26/17 8:47 p.m.

There is a jag one that mounts remote with two hose fittings on the back.

Craigorypeck
Craigorypeck New Reader
11/26/17 9:13 p.m.
Dr. Hess said:

Here it is installed:

Ah right... thanks for that. It does look rather large. Maybe even bigger than the hole where the power steering pump came out of. 

jstand
jstand Dork
11/26/17 9:32 p.m.

You might want to check out some of the marine pumps.

This one mounts to the harmonic balancer on a gm engine, but could be a good starting point, since it won’t add a lot of weight:

jstand
jstand Dork
11/26/17 9:36 p.m.

Or this one ( model JPR-YM08IH2):

Craigorypeck
Craigorypeck New Reader
11/26/17 9:42 p.m.

I did stumble upon those marine type pumps but they'e quite expensive. I'l have a look for that jaguar item. 

Craigorypeck
Craigorypeck New Reader
11/26/17 9:53 p.m.

The jag one looks the biz.... 

ChasH
ChasH New Reader
11/26/17 10:12 p.m.

I think any engine driven that is gonna work will be expensive and complicated to mount.

Why not use an electric pump?

Craigorypeck
Craigorypeck New Reader
11/26/17 10:24 p.m.

So this unit with the in/out stepped down to say 5/8 ID hose will still pump sufficient liquid to run a heat exchanger and intercooler? I presume pressure will be very low. . 

Craigorypeck
Craigorypeck New Reader
11/26/17 10:31 p.m.
ChasH said:

I think any engine driven that is gonna work will be expensive and complicated to mount.

I'm trying to make it simple and fail proof. 

The jag unit is actually cheaper than the Bosch pump, mounting the mechanical pump won't be a problem. 

I may end up with the leccy pump but just seeing what alternatives there are. 

ChasH
ChasH New Reader
11/26/17 10:47 p.m.
Craigorypeck said:
ChasH said:

I'm trying to make it simple and fail proof. 

The jag unit is actually cheaper than the Bosch pump, mounting the mechanical pump won't be a problem. 

I may end up with the leccy pump but just seeing what alternatives there are. 

An electric pump is quite simple and easily turned on/off. Fail proof maybe not, but a failed intercooler pump isn't a catastrophic failure.

Be cautious trying to adapt a pump to automotive use. 

But good luck whatever you do.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/17 8:20 a.m.

+1 for running electric pumps. They're pretty reliable, packaging is much easier, and there are performance benefits to being able to run the pump at a different speed to the engine. Some modern cars come from the factory with electric water pumps now, so you can get them cheap from a junkyard.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
11/27/17 11:15 a.m.

A lot of engines, mostly older ones, have the separate pump.

Just look for one with the back plate.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cEP88b3pg696oZZkYS8t941x68LrUFpvuvh1yRRTk2AJ8ld2V9HCk8TWhaR1iVTY