1 2
bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
1/27/16 9:44 a.m.

"DeLorean: Car Company to Resume Production for 1st Time Since 1982

DeLorean Motor Company will build about 300 replicas of its 1982 DMC-12, the model featured in the "Back to the Future" films, in its factory in Humble, Texas, CEO Stephen Wynne told local media."

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
1/27/16 9:48 a.m.

Is this the same company that's been restoring older cars and assembling new ones out of NOS parts?

Will they put a sports car engine in it now? Every ~3.5 liter non-DI V6 now days gives a damn near 300hp/tq.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/27/16 9:52 a.m.

Who wants to go in with me on producing reproduction Flux Capacitors? I bet we could sell 150 or so!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/27/16 9:55 a.m.

150? I don't know if you'll have time to receive that many orders before you get your pants sued off by a movie studio

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 UltraDork
1/27/16 10:00 a.m.

Iirc dmc in Texas bought all the inventory from Ireland and has been selling parts and restoring cars since. My guess is they're using the new speciality manufacturing law to make new cars, if that's the case they have to meet 2016 emission standards. My guess is they'll use Ford drivetrains.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
1/27/16 10:00 a.m.

This is the same company bought the entire stock of parts from whoever had it after the bankruptcy. I used to drive past their shop (maybe the old one), it was cool to see a half dozen Deloreans parked out front.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus Dork
1/27/16 10:12 a.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: Iirc dmc in Texas bought all the inventory from Ireland and has been selling parts and restoring cars since. My guess is they're using the new speciality manufacturing law to make new cars, if that's the case they have to meet 2016 emission standards. My guess is they'll use Ford drivetrains.

Hmm I wonder what the biggest ecoboost they can fit in it is. I've never seen the engine bay if one so I have no clue how much room there is. But that sounds like fun

NickD
NickD HalfDork
1/27/16 10:49 a.m.
nepa03focus wrote:
moparman76_69 wrote: Iirc dmc in Texas bought all the inventory from Ireland and has been selling parts and restoring cars since. My guess is they're using the new speciality manufacturing law to make new cars, if that's the case they have to meet 2016 emission standards. My guess is they'll use Ford drivetrains.
Hmm I wonder what the biggest ecoboost they can fit in it is. I've never seen the engine bay if one so I have no clue how much room there is. But that sounds like fun

Big enough that a Twin-Turbo Grand National 3.8L will fit in it.

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
1/27/16 11:20 a.m.

In that case, a 3.5 Ecoboost motor would be sweet.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
1/27/16 11:35 a.m.

That's awesome. I'd like to have one but I'm sure the pricing will be pretty nuts. We'll see.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
1/27/16 11:43 a.m.

PRV engine for the purists.

3.5 Ecoboost Option 1

LS series engine Option 2

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
1/27/16 11:56 a.m.

Even the 2.0 ecoboost would be a hoot in a 2700lb car: http://fordperformanceracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=25303

That's the engine and controls package by the way.

A quick search and Steeda sells it for $5600. That would be a fun 'bolt-in' for a NC Miata or a Ranger.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
1/27/16 11:57 a.m.

I wish them well! Still a cool-looking car today.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
1/27/16 12:09 p.m.

Well this makes sense, that new law passed that allows them to do this.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
1/27/16 1:21 p.m.

Wow. I assume that making new cars with a modern power train will allow them to offer an engineered swap kit for existing cars. This could move the DeLorean up on my list of cars to own.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/27/16 1:34 p.m.
NickD wrote:
nepa03focus wrote:
Big enough that a Twin-Turbo Grand National 3.8L will fit in it.

You can fit an LS in it with a bit of work. My personal favorite for an engine swap is the one someone put a Mazda Cosmo 20B 3-rotor Wankel into.

DMC-H has been making 'New Build' cars from wrecked frames/bodies and NOS parts for a while now, it's interesting that they can now do it without tracking down a previously-totaled VIN to use.

No clue what they'll use for an engine- there have been lots of swaps for a while ranging from boosted 4-bangers (which sadly are still more powerful than the stock engine...) to V-8 LS's and NorthStar engines. I'll be curious to see if they offer the new engine setup as a stand-alone swap that you can buy...

pres589
pres589 UberDork
1/27/16 2:01 p.m.

It would be amazing to work there and be a part of this project.

mainlandboy
mainlandboy Reader
1/27/16 3:07 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Who wants to go in with me on producing reproduction Flux Capacitors? I bet we could sell 150 or so!

Or just get them at O'reilly auto parts:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/EB00/121G.oap

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
1/27/16 3:25 p.m.

Will it have a speed limiter to keep it to 87mph, 'cause some crazy E36 M3 will happen if it goes any faster.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
1/27/16 3:45 p.m.

The speed limiter was the PRV V6.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/27/16 3:48 p.m.

I'd like to own a DeLorean, but the endless Back to the Future comments would be intolerable.

Ashyukun
1/27/16 3:54 p.m.
RossD wrote: The speed limiter was the PRV V6.

QFFT

Ashyukun
1/27/16 3:56 p.m.
Woody wrote: I'd like to own a DeLorean, but the endless *Back to the Future* comments would be intolerable.

Actually, it's a toss-up between BTTF comments and cocaine jokes. What's most annoying though are the people who claim to know every little thing about the car- and are willing to argue against the guy who owns it and restored it when they're dead wrong.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
1/27/16 4:55 p.m.

I've never really seen the appeal of them myself, but I'm still glad they are going to build them.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse HalfDork
1/27/16 5:39 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

Well, having a bathtub the same as a lotus esprit is appealing. But I'm one of those guys that claims to know everything about deloreans, despite never owning one.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8z33rVKaxzXOTsHTf6bs0fCETo53oBD0YyWRikpqrUWJXkFE3ckbwCiBrEjr1Fhi