Nis14
Nis14
6/15/08 2:47 p.m.

With the economy what it currently is, just wondering if this has affected your parts-buying habits.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver Dork
6/15/08 2:57 p.m.

Sure has, used stuff is easier to buy - sellers giving up projects and looking to make a fast buck. Got an SBC for $200 and a Ford 8.8 rearend with LSD and discs for $50 for my Sonoma project.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua Dork
6/15/08 3:05 p.m.

Yup-Just bought a 98 Jetta TDI project. Will probably pursue a biodiesel setup instead of turboing the miata right now. Im also getting really tempted by the cheap tow vehicles available due to gas prices. As far as the actual economy goes-my income is amazingly good for the sumertime, I think all my clients are skipping vacations-means they stay here and pay me!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/15/08 6:00 p.m.

and my saab cost me $900.... all is good in the world of bottom feeding

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/15/08 7:46 p.m.

I've seen all kinds of great deals on parts lately. I'm sort of picking through exaclty what I want to do with my car(s).

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/16/08 9:54 a.m.

on another note.. i have noticed that nice bicycles on ebay seem to br rising in price.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/16/08 11:26 a.m.

Two things:

1 - my avg engine size is way down compared to even 5 yrs ago. The biggest motor in the fleet now is 2.3 liters as compared to 5.7

2 - Tow vehicles are VERY cheap right now. Wow. I'm seeing pickups being sold for next to nothing. I am close to regretting getting an AutoX trailer and tow hitch for the Miata.

MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar Reader
6/16/08 12:01 p.m.

I've slowed down on buying cars and parts A LOT, and yes, it's a direct result of the economy. I plan to take advantage of the housing market slump by purchasing one.

nderwater
nderwater New Reader
6/16/08 1:42 p.m.

totally. i picked up a sa rated helmet and a set of shocks to replace the blown ones on the m3, but the rest of my fun budget has evaporated. i'm on an autocross-only budget at least until the turbo miata sells. good times, considering that my rear tires are practically slicks and my wife's tires are almost riding the wear bars.

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 HalfDork
6/16/08 1:46 p.m.

I'm hoping to find some dirt track guy that's gettin out so I can snag a sweet trailer for my SM 240

confuZion3
confuZion3 Reader
6/16/08 2:05 p.m.

I'm trying to fly through it as if nothing is astray. My income is fixed anyway, and the hope that there are people like me who are able to pump income into corporate America keeps me optimistic that our economy will make a rebound shortly. I don't make much money, but my expenses are low enough that I still have a nice net after my heafty 401K contributions. I just bought a bicycle that was made almost entirely in the United States, for example.

My fuel consumption is as low as it could possibly be, however. Fuel prices have become painful no matter who you are. If we are going to pay $4.00 a gallon, fine. I can afford that. But what I cannot get a grip on (and I think much of America is in the same boat) is the out-of-control rate at which gasoline prices are increasing. Fortunately, both of my cars are capable of about 30 mpg, so I'm still making a tad more than it costs to drive to work.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sTlFELdwCT3VqkFR8dJuQTjEIFUdt4BSGJnULH9r3dNdOXHipl9zFkic17KUHIkY