1 2 3
CWR67
CWR67 New Reader
12/21/18 8:21 a.m.

Not necessarily "baddest" but that Volvo was probably the best patrol car I had over my career (spanning 4 decades)....

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/21/18 9:01 a.m.

I like how they did it in Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe).  Cop jumps out of the bushes and pops us with a radar gun.  We laugh because foreigners.  A mile or so later another cop pops out of the bushes about 100 meters ahead holding an AK-type assault rifle up over his head.  We stop and pay our fine.  Who needs a car?  

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
12/21/18 9:09 a.m.

I had one of these behind me in Indiana the other day in white.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
12/21/18 9:31 a.m.

These are sort of the opposite of baddest, but I like them.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
12/21/18 9:38 a.m.

What?   No Buford T. Justice's ride?   You people......."There is no way......no way you came from my loins.   When I get home I'm gonna punch your mamma right in the mouth!"   

Ahh.....the politically correct 1970s!   :)  

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/21/18 9:56 a.m.

Cooter
Cooter Dork
12/21/18 10:15 a.m.
A 401 CJ said:

I like how they did it in Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe).  Cop jumps out of the bushes and pops us with a radar gun.  We laugh because foreigners.  A mile or so later another cop pops out of the bushes about 100 meters ahead holding an AK-type assault rifle up over his head.  We stop and pay our fine.  Who needs a car?  

Type Q
Type Q SuperDork
12/21/18 10:54 a.m.

I was in Yokohama last month visiting my sister-in-law.  She lives around the corner from a police station.  I saw one of these take off on call at full-song one day. 

It was shockingly fast. They also use a lot of mundane stuff like this:

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/21/18 12:00 p.m.

In 1993 I talked to a trooper about his FHP fox mustang. He told me he got a radio call for shots fired and was on interstate 75 running full throttle to the scene.

It was the early morning hours with no traffic. A set of headlights appeared behind him and closed on him over the next couple of minutes.

It was an FHP LT1 Caprice, and in about five more minutes the taillights had disappeared in front of him.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
12/21/18 1:33 p.m.
stanger_missle said:

Dubai says "Berk your roads!"

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
12/21/18 1:57 p.m.

Like I said earlier in this thread, I had a 1990 Mustang ex-Texas Highway Patrol coupe. They really were about the fastest thing around in their day. Until the 4th gen F bodies started to filter in, the 5.0L coupe was top dog in town. Mine had the "certified calibration" speedometer face and the trunk pop button was mounted to the console rather that the glovebox, as well as silicone cooling system hoses under the hood. It was a 5.0L, 5 speed, 3.08 gears. I had a guy I knew with a used car lot here in town buy it for me from an auction for 4500 dollars. This was in 1994.

Funny story, all Texas Highway Patrolmen wear Steston hats. 100% of the time. They all used to cruise those 5.0s around with the full gangster lean going on so their hats wouldn't hit the headliner. They looked sinister as hell all leaned over like that driving those bad ass little cars.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
12/21/18 2:25 p.m.

Doraville used to love their toys:

Gasoline
Gasoline SuperDork
12/21/18 2:26 p.m.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/21/18 2:30 p.m.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
12/21/18 2:46 p.m.

The MA State Police have this sweet C4 Vette: 

It was a seized drug dealer's car and they re-painted it with the MA State Police livery. I actually saw it putting around some back roads in my home town a few years back. 

I wonder how amazing the underhood mural is on this thing? 

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/21/18 3:12 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
12/21/18 3:17 p.m.

In reply to Woody :

PERFECTION. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/22/18 8:57 a.m.

I always liked the the Ramcharger from Lone Wolf McQuade.

If only for the siren.

D2W
D2W HalfDork
12/22/18 9:29 a.m.

My local department has one of these, though it seems like overkill in a town of 30K

Related image

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
12/22/18 10:21 a.m.

Somebody (OK, I'll do it) should put in a word for Kojak's brown Buicks.  I learn from the IMCDB that one of them had 455 badging, for that Manhattan-worthy torque.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/22/18 1:18 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

It was a seized drug dealer's car and they re-painted it with the MA State Police livery. I actually saw it putting around some back roads in my home town a few years back. 

County Sheriffs here have a hot rod white Camaro with SIEZED as a license plate.  Still looking for a picture.....

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/22/18 1:56 p.m.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
12/22/18 3:55 p.m.

Bowling Green Police with a Corvette that barely pre-dates the Bowling Green assembly plant.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/22/18 4:19 p.m.

Seattle has a pretty cool collection of vintage police cars

https://komonews.com/news/local/vintage-seattle-police-car-turning-heads-11-22-2015

SPG123
SPG123 HalfDork
12/22/18 8:56 p.m.

In reply to slefain :

They have backed way off but I remember that everyone got a ticket in Doraville, Still not a good spot to go zoomin through..

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4Sx0pAhhxgivfPJtiRhYIACIaH71fATmJvDQqykIYbYYCv0AVWyc3WA4yzZ5VBF2