1 2 3
pres589
pres589 Dork
9/16/11 10:53 a.m.

In reply to ReverendDexter:

The 03-04 Cobra arms have taller ball joints from what I can tell as well as stiffer bushings with slightly revised geometry, so I was going to go that direction soon. My hope is that with those parts as well as MM's adjustable height outer tie rod ends I can cure out some bump steer. Eventually I want to get CC plates up front as well and throw a little additional static negative camber at the thing. But there's other issues to deal with first.

corytate
corytate Reader
9/16/11 10:56 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
HStockSolo wrote: Yet we don't hear people complaining about how awfully the MKivs handle. Why is this, exactly?
because all the mkiv's are used as drag cars for some reason=]
corytate
corytate Reader
9/16/11 10:56 p.m.

i messed up my formatting lol

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
9/17/11 9:11 a.m.
corytate wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
HStockSolo wrote: Yet we don't hear people complaining about how awfully the MKivs handle. Why is this, exactly?
because all the mkiv's are used as drag cars for some reason=]

A guy I work with was on one of the teams which ran the MKIV in the old Speedvision cup or whatever it was called said the MKIV handles like a Miata.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
9/17/11 3:12 p.m.

I'm glad this thread has taken on a life of it's own but insofar as the OP (me) is concerned, the Mk IV is not remotely a consideration. I think they're overpriced, too rare to feel okay about abusing, and I really don't care for them aesthetically.

bentvalve
bentvalve New Reader
9/17/11 11:04 p.m.

Having had a fox body (93 gt), i will say that decent street handling (7 or 8 tenths) is easy and cheap, but good manners on the track is very difficult. I now have a sn-95 (04 Mach 1) and it is worlds better but still crap. Had a 95 525i 5-speed in between those that was a vastly better car than either of the above, but it just never made me giggle the way the Mach 1 does. Nothing about a twenty y.o. turbo car strikes me as fun.

WhiteLX
WhiteLX New Reader
9/18/11 5:36 a.m.

Merkur XR4Ti with an aluminum headed 5.0L swapped in? (or better yet, an LSx)

similar suspension and weight to an e30 and the power of a Mustang.

depends on the type of track your local autox chapter sets up. i would think on a fast flowing course a Mustang with big sticky tires would do quite well. Tighter technical course the e30 may do better.

If you know your way around a welder, there are plans for improving the Mustang suspension on a budget... Mathis' Mustang Performance handbook has some good info, but it's hard to find these days.

Oh yeah, a notchback Mustang would lose on grocery runs, the trunk freakin sucks.

answer: Miata

The_Jed
The_Jed Reader
9/18/11 9:59 a.m.

Why not spring for an '05 or newer Mustang?

I'm sure you could sell the 'vert on corral.net or corner carvers, maybe even trade for an S197 (with a bit of cash on your end).

If I were in your situation that's what I would do. The S197 suspension (as I'm sure you know) is light years ahead of the FOX based platform.

The wife and I had an '06 GT as a loaner when our berkeleyus was having some warranty work done.

LOVED it!!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jhRsCrjnWGXR6mqDPZ31KMP7yumoV5oS5ZcdHbIZfvLEW4RhXNh2JCvwa36Uy7Pv