Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
1/13/15 5:51 p.m.

So I am watching the first night of the B/J auctions and they are running commercials pushing their new line of "premium" car care products.......you know like waxes and polishes and that sort of thing. Now I understand that Craig Jackson needs more money and he is probably staying up late at night in the chemistry lab developing new compounds but when is enough enough? Didn't Meguiars use to sponsor the B/J auctions? So they are likely not thrilled. Along with a bunch of Discovery channel car show celeb types as commentators it's all getting a bit over the top. Stay tuned for the official B/J line of housewares and cooking utensils. Having said that the Ron Pratte collection is kind of amazing.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
1/13/15 6:23 p.m.

GETTING a bit over the top ????????????

TeamEvil
TeamEvil HalfDork
1/13/15 6:30 p.m.

Discovery Channel HAS to be getting a piece of all this action ! ! !

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
1/13/15 6:59 p.m.

I'm actually quite disappointed that Velocity/Discovery picked up Barrett Jackson. I like the Mecum auctions better and they now have been picked up with NBC Sports which I no longer have due to a package change.

Oh and Barrett Jackson is waaaay over the top.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
1/13/15 7:07 p.m.
TeamEvil wrote: Discovery Channel HAS to be getting a piece of all this action ! ! !

Ya they need more money too.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
1/13/15 8:13 p.m.

Is it called "Turd Polish"?

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
1/13/15 8:56 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: Is it called "Turd Polish"?

Sounds about right... Overpriced and still don't work worth a damn....

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/13/15 10:20 p.m.

In reply to Feedyurhed:

I suspect that Meguiars is making the products for them, but they probably don't want their brand directly associated.

JKleiner
JKleiner Reader
1/14/15 7:44 a.m.

Craig must have been listening when his late friend Shelby told him "Son, there's millions to be made by selling your name. Don't matter what it is as long as the check is good."

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/14/15 7:47 a.m.

I didn't know I could be bored to death with something automotive-related, until I tried to watch a Barrett-Jackson auction.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
1/14/15 8:26 a.m.

Pratte's collection was amazing. It's hard to believe he's liquidating it.

maj75
maj75 Reader
1/15/15 7:28 a.m.
turboswede wrote: In reply to Feedyurhed: I suspect that Meguiars is making the products for them, but they probably don't want their brand directly associated.

Good for Meguiars. They don't have to pay to sponsor the auctions and move product at the same time. They already have good name recognition. As long as BJ products aren't showing up at the local NAPA, should be a win for Meguiars.

slowride
slowride Reader
1/15/15 9:12 a.m.

This isn't a new thing, is it? I found press releases about it from 2011:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/BarrettJackson-Announces-iw-22290162.html

Also, appears to be only available (outside of the web I assume) at Pep Boys.

D2W
D2W New Reader
1/15/15 2:40 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: Is it called "Turd Polish"?

I would buy this product before I bought anything with the name Barret-Jackson on it.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
1/15/15 6:41 p.m.
slowride wrote: This isn't a new thing, is it? I found press releases about it from 2011: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/BarrettJackson-Announces-iw-22290162.html Also, appears to be only available (outside of the web I assume) at Pep Boys.

That may be but they are pushing the heck out of it now. I was at the Palm Springs B/J auction last year and Meguairs name was plastered all over everything as a sponsor with no sign of B/J car care stuff any where. I might have just missed it but that seems unlikely. I think as others have mentioned its likely the B/J stuff is just re-labeled Meguairs or a similar arrangement with some other manufacturer.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
1/15/15 6:49 p.m.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/16/15 7:39 a.m.

I don't even remember the last time I waxed my car.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
1/16/15 10:07 a.m.

I tried to buy some of their wax at pep-boys the other day. Got out bid by the guy in line behind me.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/16/15 10:19 a.m.

What you guys may not know is that the first bottle of wax produced, lot number #000000001, went for over 1.2 million dollars at auction. It was rumored that the specially made, one of one bottle, is formulated of unicorn excrement and the late Carroll Shelby's tears. The bottle of wax is reported to have mystic properties, namely that when applied to an automotive painted surface, somehow increases the "estimated" value of said automobile by over 500%, according to the owner.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IDgMiKp2cQLvS0c48Ia9X0HQ34CRpWo6vtCdvhxrGm5EmIn8uCUpnHf9hOXSOksn