outasite
outasite HalfDork
8/5/24 8:44 p.m.

My adult son is in the market for a new basic car under $25,000. I suggested a Mazda CX-30 because we presently own 7 of them. However, it may be too small. Car and Driver ranked the Chevrolet Trax as #1 with the CX-#2. Please enlighten me with your experiences and knowledge of the Trax. Thanks

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/5/24 9:56 p.m.

A thread on buying a brand-new appliance car, is this the least-GRM thread ever? cheeky

No experience with either of those cars but you should think carefully about whether an ICE-only car makes sense for an appliance these days. It looks like the cheapest new plug-in hybrids are $30k+, but if the car will see a lot of short trips and can be charged at home, it could make sense to stretch the budget or consider something slightly used.

nderwater
nderwater MegaDork
8/5/24 10:11 p.m.

It won't go on sale for another month or two, but IMHO the new Kia K4 is the most interesting option in the entry-level sedan segment.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
8/5/24 10:20 p.m.

What is a new Toyota Corolla worth on your side of the border? Or a Honda Civic? They are not as small as they used to be.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
8/5/24 10:25 p.m.
outasite said:

My adult son is in the market for a new basic car under $25,000. I suggested a Mazda CX-30 because we presently own 7 of them.

You said too small but I would think a non-car guy would follow all your experience here cause you own seven of them.  

Maybe start a new thread telling us why you own seven of these.....

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/5/24 11:05 p.m.

My buddy has a Trax. He beats on it, mercilessly. Its...a car.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) MegaDork
8/6/24 9:16 a.m.

In reply to outasite :

My local Kia dealer has Fortes and Souls starting just under $21K. Lots of selection for under $25K. Careful shopping for a Corolla can be done for under $25K. Same for the Hyundai Elantra and Venue. Trax is possible with the lower specs for $23-25K. Lots of choices out there.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/6/24 10:26 a.m.

I have not driven (or even touched) the new Trax but...they are everywhere.  They seem to be a great seller. 

Aside from the odd shape to the wrap around tail lamp, I find them attractive. Visually they are not as "low rent" as their price point would imply.   Sure, load up on the options and it's no longer inexpensive but even the stripper model is attractive and and not appearing to be "lacking."

I am also happy to see that they come in colors!  

CyberEric
CyberEric SuperDork
8/6/24 10:35 a.m.

If a CX-30 is too small, and you like them, why not recommend a CX-5 or 50? Mazda does this type of vehicle really, really well. 

I have no experience with the Trax. I have noticed Car and Driver periodically picks a Detroit car over what I believe to be a better car periodically. I remember when they picked a Malibu over an Accord. I would take it with a grain of salt. That said, some people on here work for GM so they may comment and say the Trax is amazing. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/6/24 10:37 a.m.

I default to Nissan whenever someone says "I need a car" and they don't care what it is. 

I don't really know why. 

Maybe keep an eye on the Nissan Versa thread and see what they have to say? Other than mine getting struck by lightning(!) it's been largely problem free, if uninspiring. 

Hoppps
Hoppps Reader
8/6/24 11:04 a.m.

Chevy trax?!? No thanks, drove them when I worked for the rental company and was not impressed 

I'd recommend a 21+ Hyundai Tucson because I am biased. GRM did a review as well, it's great at being a car. No fancy frills or tricks, just easy to use, rides well, and does everything you need from a car. It's also bigger than a cx-30 but not insanely large.

At the very least, I recommend you go to a dealer to test drive it, they're all the same up until 2025 model that has a small interior refresh 

theruleslawyer
theruleslawyer Reader
8/6/24 12:30 p.m.

If I wanted a new NPC car and $25k I'd probably be looking at a Ford Maverick. At least its useful.

outasite
outasite HalfDork
8/6/24 12:41 p.m.

Thanks for every ones input. I had coffee with a friend that is still active in the auto repair industry this am. He confirmed my thoughts (fears) on the Trax. My last new GM product was a 77 Blazer and last previous owned GM product was an 84 Impala police car. I have good history with Mazda and Toyota. My son ordered a Sienna in February and is still waiting. He just decided to replace his 09 Mazda 3 also. Thanks again.

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/6/24 12:42 p.m.

My wife drives a 2015 Kia Soul. Middle aged married woman driver with a clean record.

My daughter drives a 2024 Honda CRV. 21 year old driver with one accident last year.

The insurance on the Kia is higher than the CRV. When I asked my agent why a 9 year old Kia costs more than a brand new loaded CRV driven by a college girl, her words..."insurance companies hate Kias and Hyundais."

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/6/24 3:44 p.m.

Something from Kia seems like the best answer here. Great cars at the price point and good warranty iirc

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/6/24 3:50 p.m.
John Welsh said:

I am also happy to see that they come in colors!  

Is it bad that this is the reason I've seriously considered getting a Trax as our next family car?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jvJjtxe4RygdSu7WrQkJ6Tr2mo3fhPP6IdX1AvxgLfxfwnpxwIw2ull1Vb5bPV5c