Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
5/24/13 1:33 p.m.

Just got off the phone with a prospective employer located in WA.

What is there in the way of track days and autocross in that area? Is it active for motorsport?

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/24/13 1:51 p.m.

I think BoxheadTim's query about Seattle is probably applicable?

SEADave
SEADave Reader
5/24/13 2:04 p.m.

Bellevue is an upscale suburb of Seattle, so whatever applies to Seattle applies here.

Autocross is a little bit of a drive, you can either go to Packwood, which is about a hundred miles south by Mt. Rainier, or Bremerton which is across the sound by Ferry. Don't know about track days, but we do have tracks in Kent and another new one somewhere across the sound.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
5/24/13 2:45 p.m.

100 miles for autocross yikes

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
5/24/13 2:53 p.m.

Nice that there is 3 tracks within about 2 hrs each however. I guess I would need to plan on a hardtop for the miata and some rain tires

SEADave
SEADave Reader
5/24/13 3:07 p.m.
Jaynen wrote: 100 miles for autocross yikes

Bremerton is only like 40 miles if you don't have a phobia about putting your car on a boat. Oh, and here is the calendar.

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
5/24/13 3:14 p.m.
SEADave wrote:
Bremerton is only like 40 miles if you don't have a phobia about putting your car on a boat. Oh, and here is the calendar.

the ferries are cool, they serve beer :)

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
5/24/13 4:09 p.m.

Sold! hehe

NA miatas I imagine still work up there :)?

ransom
5/24/13 4:10 p.m.

Yeah, seems screwy that Seattle and Portland share a primary autocross location, huh? I've only made it to Packwood once. It was neat; it's a much larger lot than most I've gotten to run in, but it's quite a haul for an autocross from either city.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/24/13 4:16 p.m.

In reply to ransom:

There's multiple new sites much closer to Portland that will be announced for next season. One of which is larger/flatter/newer than Packwood.

ransom
5/24/13 4:26 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

That's awesome! PCA-specific news, I'm guessing?

Javelin
5/24/13 4:37 p.m.

In reply to ransom:

You betcha! Once we secure the sites for ourselves we'll spread the love to the other clubs. If the bigger/better site works out, I wouldn't be surprised if Packwood gets 0 events (from Portland-area clubs anyway), including the NT/ProSolo.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
5/24/13 4:43 p.m.

PCA being porsche?

Javelin
5/24/13 4:45 p.m.

In reply to Jaynen:

Correct. I'm the Autocross Registrar for the Oregon Region Porsche Club of America (ORPCA). This season we have 8 events at Portland International Raceway. The next one is June 23rd.

Sultan
Sultan HalfDork
5/24/13 4:52 p.m.

I work one town over from Bellevue. There are almost endless mountain roads for driving. And if you take the job be sure to move here before the rainy season starts.....kidding it never ends so it is always the rainy season....

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
5/24/13 5:24 p.m.

I'm still trying to convince the wife that we need to move to that area...

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
5/24/13 5:31 p.m.

I grew up everywhere from Salem, to Roseburg, to Eugene, to Corvallis so I am familiar with the rain :)

You are the registrar but drive a Javelin :P?

Javelin
5/24/13 5:36 p.m.

In reply to Jaynen:

I also have a frozen 928 motor in my shed! (I used to have a 944 and now I'm half owner of a 914)

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
5/24/13 5:54 p.m.

That's cool, I do all my autocross with BMWCCA personally right now and drive a miata. Whoever has the best/most frequent events

Sultan
Sultan HalfDork
5/25/13 10:04 a.m.
The_Jed wrote: I'm still trying to convince the wife that we need to move to that area...

Why? I am trying to convince my wife to away from here...

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
5/25/13 12:03 p.m.

San Diego is awesome (besides cost) just not as many jobs in my field here

Sultan
Sultan HalfDork
5/26/13 11:47 p.m.

Jaynen, I have been looking outside and watching it rain just like it has been all day. It made me think of this thread. For fun look up what next week looks like. Be aware that the rain stops just after July 4th and returns September 15th. Be sure your wife is ready for that.

On the other hand I was talking to a guy who moved here about 6 months ago and I asked him how his wife liked the weather and he said she loved it. They moved here from Connecticut.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
5/27/13 12:46 a.m.

I don't mind rain as long as I still get time to play with cars

AverageH
AverageH New Reader
5/27/13 2:17 a.m.

East of the mountains the weather is very dry. We have property in Prosser Washington where there is only 10 inches of rainfall per year. Eastern Washington is a great way to escape the clouds and rain, and it's wine country. Pretty quick drive from Bellevue I might add.

Rain tires?! What are those?

-Hamid

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oOcihZpRanWI6hg2IVGoe8eN3VrjHiUo6hidQg95dNcHC7gnlUT38S8KtkhfxNxk