stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
8/31/12 9:50 p.m.

I read an article in the paper today about how bench seats are nearly extinct - the only car still available in the US with one is the Chevy Impala, and it's an extra cost option.

http://www.mercurynews.com/cars/ci_21443900/threes-crowd-bench-seat-is-benched

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/31/12 10:06 p.m.

This calls for some Cake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkgXArxRxy8

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltraDork
9/1/12 9:13 a.m.

We special ordered a 1994 S10 Blazer with the 60/40 split bench front seat. We liked it when we had to add a little kid but there was no way 3 adults woul fit in the front.

That Impala is similar and if I was buying an Impala I would consider it. I imagine all those airbags pose a challenge with 3 passengers in front.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Reader
9/1/12 11:55 a.m.

New cars manage to be massively wide, yet not big enough inside to fit 3 across anymore.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
9/1/12 12:09 p.m.

What still passes as a "bench" in modern trucks is, to me, a joke. I want a single 6' or longer place to plop my butt that can double as a place to sleep.

Now get off my lawn.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
9/1/12 2:41 p.m.

a few months back we rented a crown vic that had the bench seat up front.... well really it was a split but had a seat big enough for my 7 year old lol.

I liked it... we where able to fit my inlaws and daughter in the back with comfort, my wife and I up front and our son between us... so the entire clan in one car without feeling like we where sitting on each other.

but as mentioned it was no old pick up bench seat... our family had an '82 suburban... now THAT was a bench seat... my now wife used to sit in the middle and my best friend in the passenger seat while I drove that... plenty of room.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
9/1/12 3:14 p.m.

My F250 has a full width bench in the back. 3 adults comfortably belted in. Front isnt bad either, 40-20-40 split bench.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltraDork
9/1/12 6:02 p.m.

The best thing about a bench seat was road head. It really takes a dedicated gal to work around bucket seats and a handbrake.

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
9/1/12 6:21 p.m.

I've never liked bench seats, even as a kid.

Of course as a teenage at a drive in movie I learned to appreciate them in an abstract sort of way.

I was always told NO! but I'd heard the stories and I knew everyone else was enjoying them.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
9/1/12 8:16 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2:
Nearly 20 years ago when I first got the Miata, I had the brief acquaintance of a gal who was talented and un-shy enough for a Miata, mid-day, top down.
She was crazy. The fun-crazy quickly turned in to the just plain crazy, and a little mentally unstable.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
9/1/12 9:35 p.m.

I have a crew cab silverado with the bench in back and the 40/20/40 bench in front. We drive from Texas to Michigan and back in it with all six of us. The front middle isn't the most comfortable position, but it's not bad for a couple hours at a stretch. I wish it was a true bench in front, it would be more comfortable.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WfI21BeRAVj8QnNTJBgvU9jDw3vSuVRLdp4ROs42wTyyqv3qi9h3TOpLP5e9KMEa