1 2
ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
3/7/16 8:05 a.m.

While banging on the ball joints on the TooFiddy this weekend my ancient Craftsman 4" bench vise broke off the base. Kind of sad, but it's really too small for the work I've been doing on it and I knew it would go sometime. I need a good 6" bench vise but I'm perpetually semi-broke, so I'll be watching CL for a good used one since all I could afford is HF crap if I bought new. I like HF crap, but the vises have a poor rep for durability when you wail on them - which is how I use a vise.

What brands should I be looking for on the used market? Looking for quality, even if it's old. Actually, I might prefer old.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
3/7/16 8:14 a.m.

I have a 6" HF vice. It hasn't failed yet but I don't really beat on it either.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
3/7/16 8:17 a.m.

I broke an old Craftsman vice many years ago. I replaced it with a Wilton that looks like this:

Can't say it's a great vise, but it hasn't broken yet either.

Zeitgeist
Zeitgeist Reader
3/7/16 8:18 a.m.

I just did some searching for similar needs. I ended up with a 5" reversible jaw vise from Menards. Masterforce brand. I had a Craftsman similar size in my last garage but sold it when I moved to an Apt for a couple years. This is looking as good or better. I have already used it hard with no issues including sanding,wire wheeling and beating out seized bolts in Miata rear uprights. The finish looks almost new. It rotates 360 degree vs some at 180 and the reversible jaw adds versatility for wider needs as well as a larger flat surface for an anvil. It was under $100 with various discounts.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
3/7/16 8:23 a.m.

Bought a Columbian from Sears prolly 20 years ago, it was $275 back then, last vise I'll ever need. Dunno if they show up on CL often but they're damn good vise. Have a pipe vise mounted on the bench too, be surprised how handy that comes in.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
3/7/16 8:30 a.m.

I just checked Northern Tool's website. They are showing a Wilton 6" bench vise for $139. That seems cheap to me for a Wilton, which I though was a higher end brand. Is this a low-spec version I should stay away from?

What about Yost?

Still going to surf CL but it's good to have a backup plan if I suddenly have to have one for a project.

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
3/7/16 8:31 a.m.

I ordered a Yost from amazon, $90 shipped at the time and so much better than the HF junk.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/7/16 9:00 a.m.

Wife tried to buy a mid range one for my for Christmas: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FJXYKCW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Would not recommend

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
3/7/16 9:20 a.m.

In reply to tuna55:

That looks exactly like the one at HF.

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls UberDork
3/7/16 9:21 a.m.

Wilton has a low cost import line that is pretty terrible. Be wary of those.

slowride
slowride HalfDork
3/7/16 9:25 a.m.

I also have the 5" Masterforce. It's fine for what I use it for (not hard use).

My dad has had a small Wilton for as long as I can remember (mid 70s). It's ok, but I would not say better than the Masterforce. But it may not have been purchased new.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
3/7/16 10:02 a.m.

I have a Chinese one that looks just like that blue Wilton in the picture, also like the ones sold at HF now. I bought it at Sams about 25 years ago. It has a lot of backlash in it now, and it is nearing end of life. A few pieces have broken off. I think I got my $30 out of it. I did mod it up by welding the rotating parts so it wouldn't turn under force.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/7/16 11:05 a.m.

Find something made in the USA between WW2 and the Reagan Era.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/7/16 11:09 a.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: I broke an old Craftsman vice many years ago. I replaced it with a Wilton that looks like this: Can't say it's a great vise, but it hasn't broken yet either.

I broke this model of Wilton.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Reader
3/7/16 11:10 a.m.

Wilton (non-China junk) vises. Doesn't get any better. Sometimes I'm a brand snob

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/7/16 12:04 p.m.

In reply to Zeitgeist:

I've got a Wilton like that from HD, no issues

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
3/7/16 1:27 p.m.

I have an old Columbian from I don't know how long ago, maybe post WW2 but before Korean conflict. It's old and it is well made, I would hold out for a good old used one rather than any of the cheaper (sub $200) ones from the big box stores. Maybe search for Old Yost, Columbian, Wilton, Rock Island, Parker, Reed, Athol, Prentiss on the list of Craig and E-bay.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
3/7/16 3:15 p.m.

looked up a Wilton "bullet" vice. 5" machinists fixed base was $849 from a discount supplier. WOWZAH

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
3/7/16 3:45 p.m.

Craigslist something old without a ton of backlash.

pirate
pirate Reader
3/7/16 3:59 p.m.

If you want a really good vise that will last you a lifetime try to find one made in the 50's or 60's in the good old United States. I bought a Chas Parker #984 about 10 years ago on ebay for I think $35.00 and paid almost that much to get it shipped. It was made in the 60's and was in real good shape and built to last. Some cleanup with a wire brush and paint and it was almost like new again. Do a search for vises on the Garage Journal and you'll get more information that you will ever need. Search ebay for vises and look for brand names like Wilton (not new ones made where ever) Reed, Wright to name a few. The old ones are big, smooth threads for opening and closing, tough and some just have the quality you can't find today.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
3/7/16 4:00 p.m.

I have an old Columbian vise that I bought at a swap meet a couple years ago. It just started to rain, and the old guy who was selling it was packing up, and I asked what he wanted for it. $5 later, it was mine! It's old, a little sloppy, but sturdy as a mountain.

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls UberDork
3/7/16 4:04 p.m.
TRoglodyte wrote: looked up a Wilton "bullet" vice. 5" machinists fixed base was $849 from a discount supplier. WOWZAH

The most problematic vise I have ever dealt with was a 10 year old Wilton 4" Bullet. US made and everything. It had to be pulled apart once a month to be cleaned and lubricated. The leadscrew would stick, bind an grind. It never really saw any hard use either. Mainly used to hold pieces to be smoothed with a file.

It must have been missing a seal or something. Gorgeous thing but a pain.

I have a 4" wilton non-bullet from the 60's on my toolbox that is flawless. Paid $25 at a swap meet for it.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
3/7/16 4:49 p.m.
m4ff3w wrote:
1988RedT2 wrote: I broke an old Craftsman vice many years ago. I replaced it with a Wilton that looks like this: Can't say it's a great vise, but it hasn't broken yet either.
I broke this model of Wilton.

X3

I went with a garage sale ancient craftsman this last time. It's done ok.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
3/7/16 4:49 p.m.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62716

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
3/7/16 4:50 p.m.

Sounds like i need to visit some rainy swap meets...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rTxnAYKxpytNNkt6Ybr5fZRmTKepM7M2V6kKkhEwqUMab0i7weh14VL4iaT69aPv