1 2
belteshazzar
belteshazzar PowerDork
3/7/16 4:55 p.m.

i bought a gigantic wilton off amazon. I love it, so far. weighs around 100lbs.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
3/7/16 4:58 p.m.

I use my great grandfather torco (Wilson's cheap line). It's great!

But small. Too small, really. I've been lurking on Craigslist waiting for the right deal.

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls UberDork
3/7/16 5:02 p.m.

My next purchase will be an offset vise

Fascinated by those things. They make a lot of sense too.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
3/7/16 5:29 p.m.
Jumper K. Balls wrote: My next purchase will be an offset vise Fascinated by those things. They make a lot of sense too.

Dammit that's brilliant. I bet I can't afford those.

Hal
Hal SuperDork
3/7/16 5:39 p.m.

I have an old Columbian that I got when my father died in 1968. He got it from his father-in-law when he died in 1950. It weighs ~30lbs and I have used I enough that it is starting to get a little backlash in it. I really need to do a little work on it.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
3/7/16 6:13 p.m.

Pro tip: people on Craigslist can't spell. Look for vice and vise. Also bench will turn them up.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
3/7/16 9:21 p.m.

I've had no luck at swap meets and Craigslist in my area. Seems anyone that has an old, quality vise thinks it is some sort of collector's item.

I bought a big vise at Sam's Club many years ago. It was made in India. It had held up against a beating for probably 20 years, but I hate that damned thing. The jaws don't align and you have to spin the handle several times before the jaws move. Thing is, a newer low end Yost or Wilton won't be as sturdy, so I'm kind of stuck with it until I can find a quality used one that someone isn't trying to retire on.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/8/16 5:41 a.m.

I have an old blacksmith's vise similar to this one that I've been holding onto for the new shop.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
5/29/18 4:04 a.m.

Zombie thread, canoe removed.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2g2aPNWnDuSLeQnjCMnVgOf5EjYdpmg6mTgetmaFU8x4kerOkBVwrVGkjHtNx6ud