G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
2/27/15 3:04 p.m.

Boom.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/27/15 3:21 p.m.
G_Body_Man wrote: Boom.

You dropped that bomb so hard you broke the link!

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
2/27/15 3:25 p.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote:
G_Body_Man wrote: Boom.
You dropped that bomb so hard you broke the link!

Broke what link? The photo displays perfectly for me.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
2/27/15 3:36 p.m.

It's an E39 540i. Here's another pic.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
2/27/15 3:38 p.m.

I can't. I did copy the URL of the BMW E39 that is trying to be shown and opened in a new browser tab just fine, although the hosting site obviously doesn't like people hotlinking like this.

Plus it's wrong anyway and the answer (FD RX-7) has been posted multiple times already.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/27/15 3:42 p.m.
pres589 wrote: I can't. I did copy the URL of the BMW E39 that is trying to be shown and opened in a new browser tab just fine, although the hosting site obviously doesn't like people hotlinking like this. Plus it's wrong anyway and the answer (FD RX-7) has been posted multiple times already.

Agreed. I like some Fd.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
2/27/15 3:43 p.m.

Or is the answer Z32?

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
2/27/15 3:47 p.m.

In reply to G_Body_Man:

No.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
2/27/15 3:49 p.m.

Not even with active 4WS? Okay. But still, I'm not mad it's an FD. I quite like Mazdas.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
2/27/15 3:52 p.m.
G_Body_Man wrote: Or is the answer Z32?

That's not even the best Nissan chassis from the 90s

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
2/27/15 3:55 p.m.
kanaric wrote:

What is?

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
2/27/15 3:56 p.m.

In reply to G_Body_Man:

The problems I have with the Z32 suggestion is that it's not that easy to work on under the hood and it's overweight. I think they're decent cars and when I see one I still admire the styling and wonder what they're really like to own. It just isn't the sports car that the FD is. Kind of like an SC300; very capable, nice place to spend some driving time, and can hustle, but that isn't the goal. They had the Skyline for that stuff anyway.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
2/27/15 3:59 p.m.
pres589 wrote: In reply to G_Body_Man: The problems I have with the Z32 suggestion is that it's not that easy to work on under the hood and it's overweight. I think they're decent cars and when I see one I still admire the styling and wonder what they're really like to own. It just isn't the sports car that the FD is. Kind of like an SC300; very capable, nice place to spend some driving time, and can hustle, but that isn't the goal. They had the Skyline for that stuff anyway.

Not here, they didn't

kanaric
kanaric Dork
2/27/15 4:03 p.m.
G_Body_Man wrote:
kanaric wrote:
What is?

S chassis or R chassis cars. Like 240SX or Skylines.

Those also have 4WS if you like that but it's known to be poor on the track. Skylines are much more like the FD mentioned in this thread and you have AWD and GTR options as well.

Z chassis from them is good, I like them, and they look cool, but they are quite bloated and hard to work on.

Not here, they didn't

You can get a R32 GTS-T for the same price as a 300zx. I did. 300ZX have cratered in price though, i've seen decent ones for like $7000 now. It's insane. People still pick 240SXs over them.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/27/15 5:15 p.m.
Nick_Comstock wrote: In reply to curtis73: He never said anything about being competitive. And in my mind if it's occasional events then it's about having fun. As a previous 96 SS owner, my suggestion was mostly in jest. But there is something special about hustling one of those big cars around.

Amen to that.

carbon
carbon Dork
2/27/15 5:34 p.m.
codrus wrote: Ignoring the $100K+ cars, I'll go with FD. An E36 has struts -- ew. :)

GPS said "so does the 911"

I agree---ew on both counts :)

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
2/27/15 6:00 p.m.
The_Jed wrote: NOT that^

Blasphemer!!!!!

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
2/27/15 7:09 p.m.
rcutclif wrote: by the way, where is the Integra TypeR in those C&D articles? seems like it would've beat the prelude SH hands down, though I am not familiar enough to know if it would have been under the 30K cap. Seems like it would have been. And wouldn't 97 have been exactly the right year? unrelated question: The C&D author is Don Schroeder, related to Per by chance?

ITR beats any factory made Prelude in the history of Honda in all measures of performance. It was a $24k MSRP car.

C&D Test of '97 ITR

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
2/27/15 7:19 p.m.

All I know is that back in the '90's we had pretty much everyone covered in Speedvision Cup with both NA and TT Supras, especially in outright speed. They had to strangle the TT Supra to bring it back to the M3 and FD RX7s, while allowing them all kinds of mods. Of course I'm prejudice also.

If I take Supras out for price, I'd go E36 M3 followed by the Miata.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/27/15 7:56 p.m.

No love for the SW20? Just because a bunch of idiots crashed them because they don't understand the dynamics of a MR car with no nannies didn't make them bad cars. They really come alive at speed.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
2/27/15 10:02 p.m.
pres589 wrote: In reply to G_Body_Man: The problems I have with the Z32 suggestion is that it's not that easy to work on under the hood and it's overweight. I think they're decent cars and when I see one I still admire the styling and wonder what they're really like to own. It just isn't the sports car that the FD is. Kind of like an SC300; very capable, nice place to spend some driving time, and can hustle, but that isn't the goal. They had the Skyline for that stuff anyway.

I thought powertrain was not being considered for this exercise? The Z32 Chassis is a good chassis. It's got good geometry all the way around, aluminum fixed calipers, great dimensions (same as a BRZ - its not a big car), fits a ton of tire, etc. The slicktop weighs less than the M3 that is so loved in this thread. And if we aren't counting powertrain as part of this... it could probably be a lot lighter. The VG30DE is a heavy engine.

Plus, they are dead sexy.

sanman
sanman HalfDork
2/27/15 10:59 p.m.

You know I have been thinking about the z32 lately. 222hp from the NA car vs 240hp from the e36 m3 and they are a similar weight. How are they that different. Really the same dimensions as a brz?

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
2/28/15 6:48 a.m.

Correct, power train is not part of the consideration.

That is why the FD answer seems very plausible.

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/28/15 7:35 a.m.

I agree, the E36 Chassis BMW was the E36 M3 in the 90's. It was chased by auto makers for years and was the gold standard for sport sedans IMO.

Another side question might be, which automaker paid attention and caught the BMW 3-series?
I'm going to throw this one out there (since I was able to drive one on the racetrack)...
Audi RS4
That damn car just felt good doing everything.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/28/15 7:59 a.m.

You know prodarwin, one of those Z32 with a LFX motor in it. Reduce the complexity of engine compartment a lot, lose some weight, and still have a great chassis.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Kn8UHKr93CU4DiQvT1wZDw0DL7hgzmzxqg4rL7OA5OyKzL56eSKQsekAQ77p9CXL