1 2
bigmackloud
bigmackloud New Reader
1/9/15 11:21 a.m.

I won't bore you with the ongoings in my life that made me have this thought but right now I've got a DD truck and then a semi-dedicated track car and trailer. If I needed to consolidate that down into one vehicle... that I could DD and track/HPDE... and my wife could drive... what would it be? Sure a Corvette/Cayman/Mustang could check that box, but my wife doesn't drive a manual, and every so often we have to swap vehicles for the day.

So the question: Are there any cars with a flappy-paddle gear box that works well enough that you could track it... for say under $30k?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/9/15 11:28 a.m.

EvoX?

GTI w/ DSG?

E46 M3 with the SMG trans?

Any Porsche PPK cars that cheap yet?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/15 11:31 a.m.

Toyobaru?

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
1/9/15 11:34 a.m.

Saab 9-3?

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/9/15 11:35 a.m.

Miata?

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/9/15 11:36 a.m.

Z4 M coupe

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
1/9/15 11:47 a.m.

E46 + SMG + CSL reflash for the SMG controller = Pure Win.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
1/9/15 12:06 p.m.

cayman with the flappy paddles. Stay AWAY from the E46 M3 SMG transmission, it's horrid.

Evo Evo X flappy paddles overheat on the track.

Love all the suggestions for cars that only come MT. Reading comprehension FTL! LOL...

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
1/9/15 12:15 p.m.

Have heard amazing things about the vw DSG in the GTI, fun car as it is.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
1/9/15 12:17 p.m.
docwyte wrote: cayman with the flappy paddles. Stay AWAY from the E46 M3 SMG transmission, it's horrid. Evo Evo X flappy paddles overheat on the track. Love all the suggestions for cars that only come MT. Reading comprehension FTL! LOL...

Plenty of companies that make transmission coolers for the EVO X.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
1/9/15 12:33 p.m.

Evo and Porsche are the only that come to mind. Maybe the newer Vettes?

bigmackloud
bigmackloud New Reader
1/9/15 12:46 p.m.

Yea, there are a number of car that come with some sort of a flappy paddle gearbox... but that doesn't always mean they actually work in a track environment. (slow, overheat, etc).

I don't think the Cayman got the PDK until 2009. And those appear to still be well above $30k.

The new C7 has flappy paddles, and despite not being a dual clutch setup, I've heard it still works pretty well. But again, waaay above $30k.

I've heard good things about the VW DSG, but I'm not really a VW fan. Then again I wasn't a Miata guy until I bought one, so who am I to cast stones, haha.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
1/9/15 12:47 p.m.

You can get a PDK cayman non S under 30K if you look.

For track work though the Evo is really hard to beat. You would need to do the transmission cooler but that is peanut in the scheme of things.

DanyloS
DanyloS New Reader
1/9/15 1:08 p.m.

Best Bets:

GTI w/DSG

Cayman w/ PDK (will likely take some work searching for this price point)

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
1/9/15 1:15 p.m.

C6? There is probably some tuner so you can make it shift however you like.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
1/9/15 1:19 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: C6? There is probably some tuner so you can make it shift however you like.

This is my guess as well.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/9/15 1:21 p.m.

When the PDK was new, Porsche did a press event at Barber featuring all of the cars. We got plenty of track time. Even in the standard mode, the PDK can read your mind.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
1/9/15 1:23 p.m.
docwyte wrote: Love all the suggestions for cars that only come MT. Reading comprehension FTL! LOL...

Everything listed above you is available with an Auto of some sort, not sure what you are going on about.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/9/15 1:24 p.m.

One of my fellow SCCA members runs his flappy paddle EvoX at track events. Yes, it needs the additional transmission cooling, especially in 100+ degree dry heat.

Otherwise I think it's mostly stock apart from some carpet removal and I think an intake. The thing flies.

Autolex
Autolex Dork
1/9/15 1:38 p.m.

EVO MR + Active Trans Cooler (read FAN)

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
1/9/15 1:47 p.m.
docwyte wrote: Stay AWAY from the E46 M3 SMG transmission, it's horrid.

LOL, they are if the controller goes bad, otherwise they act like a manual, just much much quicker gear changes.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/9/15 2:11 p.m.

I think that $30K, you're almost to (well, OK, slightly more than half) a Ferrari 355. Whether that would constitute the 'best' or not, I have no idea. :)

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
1/9/15 2:34 p.m.
singleslammer wrote:
docwyte wrote: Love all the suggestions for cars that only come MT. Reading comprehension FTL! LOL...
Everything listed above you is available with an Auto of some sort, not sure what you are going on about.

Not the Z4M.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
1/9/15 2:44 p.m.

In reply to Sonic:

Yep, that one is 6M only.

doc_speeder
doc_speeder HalfDork
1/9/15 2:55 p.m.

370Z with 7spd auto. There's a guy on one of the 370 boards that has detailed his 370z track car very well. There are several issues he's had but the trans has held up well-in heavy, frequent track use. There are reasonably priced valve body mods available that make it very crisp and dual-clutch like even though it's not. It does maintain TC lock in gears 2-7 though so it feels very crisp and direct.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2bOdC6DnpBZGb6DxadCjtYmNFOgOJT4TOMoGh8frqpgRTi1UbRN6AvERst9PH0cW