docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
12/31/23 10:12 a.m.

So I need a set of carbide bits and they're surprisingly hard to find in stock.  None of the Lowes/Home Depot/Ace carry them.  The Hammer Store had one set of 4 for $70, which seems uncharacteristically expensive for the Hammer Store.

Where are people buying these?  TIA!

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/31/23 10:48 a.m.

For actual good quality burs I would go to McMaster or msc or similar suppliers, they aren't cheap.

If you just need to do a small amount of grinding you could risk a cheap Amazon set but i would imagine they wouldn't last long.

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
12/31/23 10:56 a.m.

In reply to EvanB :

In looking at McMaster seems like a set of 8 is $133.  So maybe that set of 4 at the Hammer Store for $70 wasn't as expensive as I thought.  Although I'd imagine the quality at McMaster is much higher than the Hammer Store...

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/31/23 12:36 p.m.

I have the single and double cut versions of this brand and they have worked pretty good for me.  Double cut for steel, single cut for aluminum.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074SHHB39

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/31/23 1:01 p.m.

https://a.co/d/btH4HEt

I've been reasonably impressed with that set for the price. Enough so that I bought 2 of them (1 for the home shop, 1 for the warehouse). 

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
12/31/23 1:36 p.m.

Take the "s" out of that link for it to work - I would get that set too.

http://a.co/d/btH4HEt

I bought a set from HF about 30 years ago and have used them extensively (still do) and they've held up great......but I seem to remember them costing about $10 - no idea where they get $70 for them.

2 in. Double Cut Genuine Solid Carbide Burrs, 4 Piece (harborfreight.com)

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
1/1/24 9:49 a.m.

Thanks, I bought that set from Amazon.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
1/1/24 10:38 a.m.

I buy from mscdirect, Grainger, or summit. Probably more expensive but at the same time the first two cater to the business customers.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
1/1/24 10:40 a.m.

I've discovered that China seems to have a hard time making crappy carbide.

Even the cheap stuff seems to work very well for the price you pay.

They can make tool steel that's absolute garbage but any carbide tooling has been fine. I guess there's only one formula and it's hard to make it poorly.

Grainger can't find their ass with both hands, at least the ones I've dealt with can't. I call for something, give them the number from their catalog and I get "not a good number". Really? it's from your website. I've also given them the page number from the current paper catalog and they can't find it.

There's a reason McMaster is taking everyone's lunch money.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
1/2/24 7:33 a.m.

I'll echo Shawn, the Amazon China set I bought worked shockingly well.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dq6B03DMeIJSsQogTFY77zVbmFVE0AvtozAkxjIsnw2JrbJcRC5AXg931zkGIPZD