arvoss
arvoss
11/17/11 10:05 p.m.

Although I'm sure that many of you learned how to drive through sheer experience, there must be some good educational books out there. So what are your favorite books that focus on teaching good driving techniques and why?

corytate
corytate HalfDork
11/17/11 10:44 p.m.

dmv handbook

arvoss
arvoss New Reader
11/18/11 6:30 p.m.

I've read that, and they don't approve of left foot braking or heal/toe

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
11/18/11 6:45 p.m.

Nice comeback.

Jackie Stewart's Principles of Performance Driving... rules

kazoospec
kazoospec Reader
11/18/11 6:50 p.m.

Ross Bentley's Winning Autocross Techniques. I've read through it several times. Geared towards autocross, but lots of good general info on driving.

1lapdawg
1lapdawg New Reader
11/18/11 6:59 p.m.

Going Faster! [Click to enlarge]

Going Faster! Mastering the Art of Race Driving

by Carl Lopez

Softcover, 7 7/8 in. x 10 3/8 in. 294 pages 308 photographs and illustrations ISBN-13: 978-0-8376-0226-4 Price: $34.95 Add to Cart Bentley Publishing has it as does Amazon. Very good book to learn techniques etc

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
11/18/11 7:04 p.m.

Oh yeah

Drive to win by Carroll Smith

is awesome as well

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/18/11 7:33 p.m.

The aforementioned books are good. I also liked "Sports Car and Competition Driving" by Paul Frere. This was one of the earlier driving books I got, and I like the way it explained some things. I think it helps to get a number of explanations; some will resonate with you better than others.

I've found that books about how cars handle helped with my understanding of how to drive them. Helping to understand weight transfer and what the tires want and so on...

From that standpoint, I'd add Carroll Smith's "Tune to Win" and Neil Roberts' "Think Fast", though there are other threads here probably on books on understanding handling.

arvoss
arvoss New Reader
11/18/11 8:55 p.m.

That's great, looks like I'll have some reading to keep me busy of winter break. I've heard some good things about Speed Secrets by Ross Bentley as well, not sure if anyone has read it.

Ransom, Neil Roberts was at my school a while back, but I didn't get to hear his lecture. I was actually trying to find a book like that but driving orientated. Not that I'd turn down a good book on building or theory.

corytate
corytate HalfDork
11/18/11 9:06 p.m.
arvoss wrote: I've read that, and they don't approve of left foot braking or heal/toe

meh
thought you were speaking of safety techniques like watching traffic around you and looking before you change lanes. lol. which is what I'm scared of while teaching my wife.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
11/18/11 9:07 p.m.

Old Reliable.

http://www.amazon.com/Bob-Bondurant-High-Performance-Driving/dp/0760306036

My copy's so old it's got Fox-chassis Mustangs on the cover.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
w3cYQQtWdQ9CwwaYhXPnFzr6z2CZEExwu4wXEOJEGxsWrI9yzqoKD9yn8teTIGcn