1 2
ls1fiero
ls1fiero Reader
2/3/13 12:54 p.m.

I have decided to start searching for a nice takeout set of seats for a SAAB 900. The factory Recaros in GTIs come to mind as do seats from SAAB Aero cars. Grassroots budget of course...What others should I look for?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/13 1:02 p.m.

Lots of Porsche guys replace the factory Recaros with race seats. They are usually priced kind of high initially, but because shipping seats is expensive, sellers end up getting stuck with them and get frustrated. Check the Pelican forum, find a local pair and make an offer. Just don't expect to find a set of black ones. They go quickly.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
2/3/13 1:04 p.m.

E30 Sport (Recaro) seats. Not the lightest in the world, and used ones typically need new covers, but they have tons of adjustment and usually sell cheap.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
2/3/13 1:06 p.m.
Ian F wrote: E30 Sport (Recaro) seats. Not the lightest in the world, and used ones typically need new covers, but they have tons of adjustment and usually sell cheap.

"is" E30 "sport" seats are NOT Recaros.

The Recaro's have the "hollow" head rest with netting. The sport seats just have more aggressive bolsters than the comfort seats.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
2/3/13 1:08 p.m.

E46 manual sport seats are very comfortable and very adjustable. Dunno about price and availability, though.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon Dork
2/3/13 1:13 p.m.

Early 90s Honda prelude seats are pretty darn good.

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/3/13 1:15 p.m.

Some suggestions here: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/what-carts-have-gthe-best-bucket-seats/57678/page1/

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
2/3/13 1:20 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac:

It's more than just bolsters. The sports also have a ton more adjustments than the comfort seats... Which don't look very comfortable at all... The extending bottom cushions, for example.

I've always been told they were made by Recaro, even if not labeled as such. Recaro made a lot of OE seats back then that weren't labeled. The seats in my ES, for example (which I can't stand). Regardless of who made E30 sport seats, they're comfortable, supportive and cheap.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/3/13 1:57 p.m.

lumina cop car recaros

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
2/3/13 2:30 p.m.
patgizz wrote: lumina cop car recaros

This, you can find them cheap sometimes also!

NA6_MSM
NA6_MSM New Reader
2/3/13 2:36 p.m.

If you're short, then stock miata seats aren't bad at all. I'm too tall for mine so I ditched them, but I gotta admit they were pretty comfortable.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
2/3/13 3:05 p.m.

Not saying you'll find them......

I snagged a set of Volvo 242 GT seats and managed to fit them into my mkI Capri's....

Learned back then that Volvo built ordinary cars, but exceptional seats

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
2/3/13 3:06 p.m.

mrjoshm
mrjoshm New Reader
2/3/13 3:13 p.m.

I've always liked the 2002 WRX seats. They seemed to have the best side support. I think they would be a little too heavy since you do not need the side airbag, I have no knowledge of this, but maybe you can pull the airbags out and sell them? I don't know, it might be part of the side support. Either way, they go pretty cheap since most bugeye guys like to swap to the more inferior IMO STi seats.

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
2/3/13 4:34 p.m.

I absolutely love my 2009 WRX stock seats. Very supportive, very comfortable for long hauls, all manual (so they're pretty light), and they look good.

I hate the Miata seats that I put in the GT6..they're just an odd size.

The Porsche 944 seats I used to have in the e30 were supportive and comfy, just that all the OEM leather (or vinyl, whatever it was) was cracked to hell.

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
2/3/13 4:36 p.m.

Miata seats continue to be the benchmark for comfort, support and durability. They are also pretty accommodating to small spaces.

And cheap.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UberDork
2/3/13 5:25 p.m.

Most comfortable seats I've ever owned

95+ Z24. They don't look like much, but they fit me just right. I paid $35 each from the wreckers.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/13 7:10 p.m.

I have a set of E36 "vaders" i was considering adding to my 900

chaparral
chaparral HalfDork
2/3/13 11:05 p.m.

C4 Corvette (92-on) seats are really good - a pair would be a major upgrade in a C5 if they fit.

duetto_67
duetto_67 New Reader
2/3/13 11:07 p.m.

early 90s dodge diesel pickup - the buckets not bench. 12 hr day no problem. Probably reasonable cost. Close second are the Focus SVT EAP recaros, but worth a small fortune...

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
2/4/13 6:59 a.m.
irish44j wrote: I hate the Miata seats that I put in the GT6..they're just an odd size.

I've been debating Miata seats in my GT6. I understand a little more tweaking is required than when they are fitted into a Spitfire. I don't really mind the stock seats in the car, but the foam is really packed out and I want to be able to drive the car while I rebuild them. Plus, I want to try the headrest speakers (gotten mixed reviews).

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
2/4/13 8:02 a.m.

I was going to suggest P71 seats. I find them comfortable.

Powar
Powar Dork
2/4/13 8:21 a.m.

The 9000 Aero seat swap has been done 1000 times. If you decide to go that direction, it should be painless.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltraDork
2/4/13 8:41 a.m.

My SVT Contour had increadably comfortable seats.

My Saab 900 had totaly trashed leather seats, so I spent a fortune with Powar and bought another set of dark blue velour 900 seats ( No Tom they are NOT purple) that I'm re-fitting as part of my interior resto.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UberDork
2/4/13 8:49 a.m.

Not exactly factory...But very grassroots... Side of the road buy. $50 for the pair.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Cgvq98NfWDg9OPY4kcGgkNOolOjQ0I46zDIELwGBJBfiKhR9K4SyUbeyNyzLWJOP