AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/26/20 3:49 p.m.

So I just picked up a 96' f350, single cab and it's got a full bench seat with built in headrests. Currently red leather, with one pretty decent gash in it. 

Obviously I'd like to get a seat cover for it. I had initially figured that a being a simple bench seat on a very common truck it would be easy to find something, but the results I'm finding are underwhelming. 

I know GRM has recommended the Carhartt seat covers. This is very tempting, but looks like about $340 for the bench. 

I had found a "saddle blanket" style cover from Fia that looked decent, but my wife is not a fan. Haha. 

Wet Okole is another brand I've seen recommended here, but they're looking to be about $250 for the bench I think. Better price than the Carhartt, but I don't have a good feel for what they are like really. I want something fairly durable.

Any other suggestions? 

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
10/26/20 7:39 p.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) :

Glue the gash. Super glue will do a good job of  repairing the gash. 
After that use some leather conditioner to make the leather soften.  If you don't like the color you can change it a lot easier than fitting new seat covers. 
   Leather is remarkably easy to work with.  It can be salvaged when other seat covers are trash. 

In the collector car group we try to salvage leather seats rather than replace them. We prefer a little originality over new. We sand roughness off and resew broken seams. Then respray the color. 

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/26/20 8:12 p.m.

Here's a pic of the seat. It's pretty big. Also some foam is missing too. 

03Panther
03Panther Dork
10/26/20 10:38 p.m.

Uh, 90% sure that seat was made from the "hide of naugs" Takes a bunch of naug to fill in a gap like that, and will NOT hold up well.laugh

The old fashioned mex. saddle blanket covers are about the only cheap bench cover that I know of that will last more than a short bit. Or throw a actual blanket on the bottom half, since the back looks ok. Vinyl does not do color changes well, either.

Get a cloth seat form craigs/ junkyard? Maybe bucket seats?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/26/20 11:22 p.m.

Freebie mover's blanket from Harbor Freight?

Turbine
Turbine GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/27/20 12:25 a.m.

I went with the Mexican blanket style cover from seatcoverman for my truck. I'm pretty sure they sent me the wrong one because the fitment isn't great. At least it was cheap, and the fabric seems like it'll hold up well.

SWMBO calls it a drug rag

03Panther
03Panther Dork
10/27/20 2:31 a.m.

In reply to Turbine :

That fits as well, or better, than I've seen...

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
10/27/20 3:06 a.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) :

Yeh, that's not leather. 
disregard my post. 

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
10/27/20 5:44 a.m.

I looked all over when I had the F250. It's either $50 for ugly and fits bad, or $250 for unremarkable and fits ok. Pick yer poison. 

Danny Shields (Forum Supporter)
Danny Shields (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/27/20 6:26 a.m.

Covercraft Outlet has some seat covers with Ford bench seat listings:

Covercraft Outlet

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
10/27/20 7:53 a.m.

Hit the pick-n-pull and buy another seat. It might take more than one visit to find a seat better than you already have though, and bench seats are getting rarer, even in trucks.

newrider3
newrider3 Reader
10/27/20 1:08 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

Hit the pick-n-pull and buy another seat. It might take more than one visit to find a seat better than you already have though, and bench seats are getting rarer, even in trucks.

Check the junkyard for a crew cab truck of the same vintage, the front and rear bench seats are the same and the rear is less likely to have severe wear on the driver's bottom bolster. When I had a high mileage '97 F350 I swapped the stock back seat into the front since it had no wear (red velour with the headrest), then I got a lowback vinyl bench out of an older truck from the pull-and-pay for the rear.
If you're patient enough to find a nice one the savings will be substantial over a nice cover; my local yards show $43.99 after fees for a bench seat.

Alternately, LMC Truck has reupholstery kits (not just a slip on cover, the actual upholstered seat cover) for around $200.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
10/27/20 1:40 p.m.
newrider3 said:

Alternately, LMC Truck has reupholstery kits (not just a slip on cover, the actual upholstered seat cover) for around $200.

This is the route I would go.  Well, heck, it's the route I did go on my '85 C-30 Silverado duallie.  Re-covering a bench seat isn't that difficult, and it will have the appearance of a new stock seat.

Turbine
Turbine GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/27/20 5:59 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

Yep! It's not too hateful. I was annoyed by it for a second, but it worked out. I love the look

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TAh7abYz6fUei8zKYX1brHoZAytCW6uOq0dqn75I4pSN7ApqpRxOLIhwIKFCQipb