mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/25/11 3:44 p.m.

I have a chance to pick up a nearly free non-running 325e for parts to complement my 318is M50 as well as my friends 2002 project (Old Blue 2002...)

Problem is the only car I can use to tow it is my E30, and it doesn't have a tow hitch! I've been looking at U-Haul options, but I still need a hitch.

What options have I overlooked? What would GRM do?

sachilles
sachilles Dork
1/25/11 3:48 p.m.

How far away is the nearly free car? Maybe rent a truck and trailer? Or just have it towed.

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/25/11 3:58 p.m.

The car is about 200 miles away. Trick is the owner doesn't want random people on the property, so I can't just hire a tow truck!

I'm thinking rent a truck and trailer, but I really don't want to loose money on this! The last 325e my friend parted out went to pick and pull for $95, so that is my towing budget.

unevolved
unevolved HalfDork
1/25/11 4:47 p.m.

If it was me, I'd find a buddy with a pickup truck/SUV and a free afternoon, and offer him a sixer of his choice. Granted, this is TX and we have an abnormally high incidence of trucks here, but still.

Vigo
Vigo Dork
1/25/11 6:55 p.m.

Same here. Id try to lure a friend into doing it. Down here we can rent a dolley for ~$30/day (tho i just own one.. easier).

Trying to find a hitch for cheap is hard, especially when you need it now.

Conceivably you could build a very nice hitch for less than that if you had the skills and a pretty strong welder, but that's one of those things that falls into the category of "if you have to ask".

emodspitfire
emodspitfire New Reader
1/25/11 6:58 p.m.

Flat tow??

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Reader
1/25/11 7:04 p.m.

What would GRM do? Pull all the seats out of your car,Load up some tools,Go gut donor car of anything that can be stuffed into or Duct taped on your car. Call pick n pull to come pick up smoking gutless remains. Collect $35.00 for passing GO?

RossD
RossD Dork
1/25/11 7:50 p.m.

I've seen ads on the TV for people that will do jobs with their pickup trucks. Either tow things, clear snow, whatever slightly pickup/redneck related. I just cant remember what the website is called...it has pickup in the name if I remember correctly. (Hopefully its not just in Northern Wisconsin)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
adXzCTxepArD4m7yTbHhxLYPprqsNzgYOmxPuwRjqmppLCDSYpv4iTbDrp2kAluy