1 2
EricM
EricM SuperDork
11/6/12 1:27 p.m.
ClemSparks wrote: When about to graduate college, I took a tour of a Kawasaki plant that primarily made mower and other non-automotive engines. I was told by the engineer (who I knew from school...he graduated a semester prior) that in many cases, the difference in power rating on a line of engines was simply the throttle opening/stop (much like the Mini example above). I know first hand that in todays manufacturing environment...it doesn't always make sense to tool up for a different product at lower specs. It often is better to just de-rate an existing product with a new catalog page and load rating sticker.

they do that with electronics. We buy HP printers, we always get the lower spec'ed one, the one that is slower, or with less memory, etc. then we reflash the PROM with the code from the higher spec'ed unit (by changing the name of it to the code of the lower spec'ed unit), it then performs like the one that is more expensive.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
11/6/12 1:43 p.m.
Stealthtercel wrote: OK, I'll bite: there was a tsb because of flames shooting out of the exhaust? Tell me more!

Basically on the 6.4's, or was it 6.7's, the injector(s) would crack leaking fuel, IIRC, so when it went into regen and even more fuel got added, it would eventually load up the exhaust with fuel and then it was a nice flamethrower of about 1200^F. I think Ford did a reflash and replaced a couple of the injectors as the fix. And the reflash was nothing more then shutting the engine down for 20 minutes after the incident happens. Didn't matter if you were in the middle lane of the 405 in rush hour pulling a 45' gooseneck, once it quit, you weren't going anywhere for a good long time.

Edit- 6.4's in '08.... http://blogs.dieselpowermag.com/6205554/whats-new/ford-recalls-37000-2008-super-duties/

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
11/6/12 2:22 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
Driven5 wrote: That's got to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard...So naturally being a Chrysler product, I have little reason to doubt its plausibility.
Everyone does it.

Especially class 8 with engine programming/power.

There is a certain manufacturer of T-case for the boom trucks (for sake of anonymity) for the crazy heavy duty 4x4 systems.

well they only make 2 models and they are rated for different tonnages/use and etc. One costs a lot more and that is the only difference, they are mechanically the same. They basically escrow'd the warranty costs into the other unit because they know that the application is going be more severe causing more wear and having a higher warranty rate than the lighter duty application.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UltraDork
11/6/12 3:05 p.m.
EricM wrote:
ClemSparks wrote: When about to graduate college, I took a tour of a Kawasaki plant that primarily made mower and other non-automotive engines. I was told by the engineer (who I knew from school...he graduated a semester prior) that in many cases, the difference in power rating on a line of engines was simply the throttle opening/stop (much like the Mini example above). I know first hand that in todays manufacturing environment...it doesn't always make sense to tool up for a different product at lower specs. It often is better to just de-rate an existing product with a new catalog page and load rating sticker.
they do that with electronics. We buy HP printers, we always get the lower spec'ed one, the one that is slower, or with less memory, etc. then we reflash the PROM with the code from the higher spec'ed unit (by changing the name of it to the code of the lower spec'ed unit), it then performs like the one that is more expensive.

Processor manufacturers have done that forever. The difference between the low-speed version of a chip and the high-speed version is that when they were tested the low-speed version was found to have more errors in it. That's really the basis of overclocking; you buy the lower rated chip, then tell the BIOS to run it as if it were the faster one and try your luck on stability.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
11/6/12 7:53 p.m.

In reply to ReverendDexter:

That's how we got the AMD tri-cores.

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
11/7/12 8:14 a.m.

I remember back in high school or shortly after (early to mid '90s), a friend of mine bought a new computer. Not being able to afford the fastest one in the line he was looking at, he got the second fastest one and figured he'd upgrade it when he had more money. After he got it he started to research what he needed to do to upgrade and found out it was just a dip switch setting.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
11/7/12 12:00 p.m.

I loved the days of setting the clock and multiplier via DIP switches. It's a shame I grew up on the tail end of that era.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
11/7/12 1:07 p.m.

More Jeep retardedness....

The YJ came standard with a 15 gallon tank, with a 20 gallon being optional.

They are the same tank.

The filler neck on the 15 gallon is longer and sticks further into the tank so that it shuts the pump off at 15 gallons. To make it a 20 gallon tank, pull out the filler neck, cut off about 6", and reinstall it.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
11/7/12 1:09 p.m.
fidelity101 wrote:
Knurled wrote:
Driven5 wrote: That's got to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard...So naturally being a Chrysler product, I have little reason to doubt its plausibility.
Everyone does it.
Especially class 8 with engine programming/power. There is a certain manufacturer of T-case for the boom trucks (for sake of anonymity) for the crazy heavy duty 4x4 systems. well they only make 2 models and they are rated for different tonnages/use and etc. One costs a lot more and that is the only difference, they are mechanically the same. They basically escrow'd the warranty costs into the other unit because they know that the application is going be more severe causing more wear and having a higher warranty rate than the lighter duty application.

I've heard this is the difference between a 6 year water heater and a 12 year. Same unit, but the 12 year costs more for the expected higher warranty costs.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
11/7/12 6:14 p.m.

Same with most of the over-the-road diesel engines. Want the high output? Flash it to the higher output and kiss your warranty goodbye. The Cummins 5.9 used in the Dodge Ram and everything else was a great example of this sort of thinking.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/7/12 6:40 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: I've heard this is the difference between a 6 year water heater and a 12 year. Same unit, but the 12 year costs more for the expected higher warranty costs.

That makes perfect sense, really. The extra cost of the 12 year is basically an insurance policy.

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
11/7/12 9:26 p.m.
fasted58 wrote: free prize in every box (well, almost free)

Ol' Harry was on to something.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/7/12 9:45 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: More Jeep retardedness.... The YJ came standard with a 15 gallon tank, with a 20 gallon being optional. They are the same tank. The filler neck on the 15 gallon is longer and sticks further into the tank so that it shuts the pump off at 15 gallons. To make it a 20 gallon tank, pull out the filler neck, cut off about 6", and reinstall it.

There is a similar deal on the TJs as well. The tanks are the same.

iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
11/9/12 10:53 a.m.

My 2002 Libery had the 45RFE. While it was theoretically a 5 spd. In daily operation it was a 4 spd. Two second gears . 1.67 ratio, 1.50 ratio for 2nd Prime. In 73k miles , I couldn't see where it made a huge difference.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
10Ceweuk4it59fnaxtuh6E0EAW2hYzooyGwwuCy6jlnKGfTmkzBfBjUn9hSTOkOx