1 2
Steve
Steve Reader
9/15/23 9:58 a.m.

This is driving me nuts, and I trust in the hive to have a solution. I feel like I haven't had a clear windshield in ages. 

A long time ago, I used Windex and newspaper, worked well. With less and less print news, my supplies aren't as easily available. 

What's your secret sauce and process? This would be for tinted windows, cleaning inside and outside. Would prefer something reusable (microfiber) if possible. 

Help me GRM Kenobi, you're my only hope. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/15/23 10:05 a.m.

I'd also like to know. No matter how hard I try, I always get streaks.

BoulderG
BoulderG Reader
9/15/23 10:05 a.m.

Your recipe is pretty much same as mine. I think the key to success is frequency more than perfection.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/15/23 10:11 a.m.
Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
9/15/23 10:17 a.m.

Best I've ever used, including trying Invisible Glass and the Chemical Guys glass cleaner:

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/15/23 10:24 a.m.

As far as I can tell, the aerosol Invisible Glass is better than the spray bottle stuff.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/15/23 10:33 a.m.

In reply to Chris_V :

I second the Sprayway. I use it with a Griot’s microfiber cloth designed to clean glass. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/15/23 10:35 a.m.

Vinegar & newspaper.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
9/15/23 10:38 a.m.

This is timely; someone gifted my a case of foamy aircraft window cleaner ages ago and I'm down to my last two cans.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/15/23 10:42 a.m.

Microfiber + Carpro https://www.carpro-us.com/glass/carpro-clarify-glass-cleaner-500ml-17oz/

I use all their products since they were designed to work with the specific ceramic coating on my car. The windows are also ceramic coated, so it's REALLY easy to keep them clean. 

Carpro also sells marked spray bottles to make mixing the concentrate fool proof. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/15/23 10:48 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

As far as I can tell, the aerosol Invisible Glass is better than the spray bottle stuff.

After hearing Javelin mention that aerosol IG was way better than the spray bottle, I went ahead and bought it. 

I was expecting it to be the same, but I have to admit he was right and its noticeably better. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/15/23 11:12 a.m.

DIY.  Name brand glass cleaner is expensive. 

This stuff works.  Alvin Corn.  Cheap and effective.

https://www.everydaycheapskate.com/once-you-meet-alvin-corn-youll-never-go-back-to-other-glass-cleaners/

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/15/23 11:16 a.m.

What about windows on a car that sat out a long time and seem to have water spots that just won't go away?  Any ideas?

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
9/15/23 11:16 a.m.

I have a can of foam cleaner that the Safelite installer left me 6 years ago. It and paper towels work good enough for me, but newspaper works a little better to polish the glass. I've never tried a microfiber cloth, maybe I should.

Keith Tanner
9/15/23 11:17 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:

DIY.  Name brand glass cleaner is expensive. 

This stuff works.  Alvin Corn.  Cheap and effective.

https://www.everydaycheapskate.com/once-you-meet-alvin-corn-youll-never-go-back-to-other-glass-cleaners/

That's basically the vinegar and water my mom used to use, with a bit of grit thrown in for extra fun.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/15/23 11:22 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Don't forget the alcohol!

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/15/23 11:22 a.m.
Chris_V said:

Best I've ever used, including trying Invisible Glass and the Chemical Guys glass cleaner:

This. 100%

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/15/23 11:24 a.m.
Slippery said:
Keith Tanner said:

After hearing Javelin mention that aerosol IG was way better than the spray bottle, I went ahead and bought it. 

I expecting it to be the same, but I have to admit he was right and its noticeably better. 

I came to say this again!

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/15/23 11:25 a.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

What about windows on a car that sat out a long time and seem to have water spots that just won't go away?  Any ideas?

I'm trying to re-use the side glass on the '66 Chevy II, and I have tried a number of glass polishing products, with limited success.  If you discover the magic bullet, let me know!

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/15/23 11:27 a.m.

I've had good luck with a two step cleaning

• Simple green for the grime and grease - paper towel or microfiber
  • RainX Glass cleaner - clean microfiber
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/15/23 11:31 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Tim shows how he polishes glass:

Keith Tanner
9/15/23 11:51 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:

I'm not convinced that's necessary, honestly. You're still going to have to wipe it clear, especially since someone put a bunch of corn starch in it.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/15/23 11:58 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:
1988RedT2 said:

I'm not convinced that's necessary, honestly. You're still going to have to wipe it clear, especially since someone put a bunch of corn starch in it.

You can't be an expert until you try it.  Otherwise you're just making assumptions. cheeky

Keith Tanner
9/15/23 12:27 p.m.

I am, based on the fact that the alcohol will evaporate quickly but the other ingredients won't. But I'm not claiming to be an expert.

I also don't really feel strongly enough to try, I don't go through so much window cleaner that I'd notice any savings. Aerosol IG is under $4.50/can and that lasts me for a year or so. Of course, I don't have sticky children.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Dork
9/15/23 12:30 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

I just googed up “why Windex streaks”. Well we can actually blame it on the alcohol (and ammonia). The consensus is that alcohol and ammonia evaporate quickly. So if you’re doing windows in the sun, or a windy day, or don’t wipe soon enough you’re increasing the streakyness.

I have noticed this in gas stations where they provide full strength window cleaner it usually streaks.

A long time ago I inadvertently had solved the problem by being cheap. I usually cut my Windex with about 50% water.

Another suggestion was to put the cleaning solution on the rag, paper towel, etc – not on the window.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YqQaLrD4orJptqAksl3jE8PMn0zkGGDoLRJO3nmZFqEae4fRpLZvqS6CmRjzWqXg