1 2
andrave
andrave HalfDork
11/19/12 1:07 p.m.
BillCaswell318 wrote: Buy a cheap electric car heater with blower ...

Harbor freight sells a similar one for $15 and often puts it in the car magazine coupons for $9.95: http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-rubberized-heater-with-fan-96144.html

I'd imagine its a fair electrical draw. Never used it myself but plan on picking one up with my coupon next time I go by the store.

yamaha
yamaha Dork
11/19/12 1:12 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote: In reply to Spinout007: There are people that spray paint and there are others that "kill" people.

That'd be me......I played stock class when I was in highschool and college. Much more affordable way to play, and well....you actually had to be good at it.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
11/19/12 1:26 p.m.

My windshield is chicken-wire and I'v never had a fogging problem, now Clem flangin' dirt in my face, thats a different story.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
11/19/12 1:40 p.m.
CPannell wrote: After about the second time you use it, it becomes second nature to reach down, wipe, and return, even mid corner.

BAHAHAHAAHA!

Out of context funny.

andrave
andrave HalfDork
11/19/12 2:10 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote:
CPannell wrote: After about the second time you use it, it becomes second nature to reach down, wipe, and return, even mid corner.
BAHAHAHAAHA! Out of context funny.

The seemingly woodchip/bark embedded toilet paper our high school custodian stocked the stalls with was labeled "second nature." It was funny on its own, and even funnier when combined with the above.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/19/12 4:49 p.m.

In reply to turboswede: same concept, cock it and then then you can shoot. for each shot. Unlike my go fast space gun, with its mouse click trigger pull that will go up to 30+ shots a second if I didn't have it capped at 12.5bps.

Merlen666
Merlen666 None
3/7/13 5:21 a.m.

Happy to be here...

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/7/13 6:54 a.m.

I know some people have said that they have had good results with electric dash mounted heaters but I will go the other way and say that they suck. I lost the heatercore in my mustang and could not replace it until spring (the whole dash has to come out) so I tried several of those ganging in price from $9.00 to almost $75. Non of them worked well enough to be worth the $$$. They also draw a lot of AMPS and should really be wired directly to the battery with an in line fuse. When we were enduro racing we built a box with a heater core and a fan and mounted it on the floor of the passenger seat. We then added a drier vent from it to the stock defrost vents in the dash. The heater core was plumbed in to the cooling system and a toggle switch controlled the fan.

Also we had good luck with Fog - X on the inside of the windshield but the home made defrost box was the final solution.

trucke
trucke Reader
3/7/13 7:22 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Polish the inside with dawn dish soap. No kidding.

This works great! Cheap, easy, and effective!

A 'Rolex' series crewman told me they use this all the time.

Use a damp sponge or towel, place a small amount of Dawn dishwashing liquid and work it in. Wipe the inside of the windshield. Let dry.

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/7/13 2:20 p.m.

A guy who runs an e30 in our NASA region used an inline electric fan blowing air from next to his trams tunnel through the dash vent diffusers. He welded strips of metal to the trans tunnel and shielded them into a funnel shap at the fan inlet. They worked like heat sink fine. Since e30 transmissions tend to run pretty hot this kept his windshield clear. Not sure if your vehicle has similar hot trans issues though.

RossD
RossD UberDork
3/7/13 2:31 p.m.

I would just keep the heater core and fan. If it's too heavy, find a smaller one...

It'll keep the windshield clear and has the added bonus of getting rid of excess heat in case something happens.

drsmooth
drsmooth Reader
3/7/13 5:06 p.m.
CPannell wrote: Do not underestimate the power of a rag on a stick. Just don't get caught between gears, one tends to run out of hands quickly in that situation.

The rag on a stick is a multi use tool

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
3/7/13 7:03 p.m.

mount a hair dryer on the dash with a power converter to a cig lighter outlet :)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nalDbk8J4jA3tTJ7pC4FRDJ73MBskyqf0HWw7mMn6z4wzNIDooF9tHNSixUzJ47s