1 2
SonofSVreX
SonofSVreX None
10/1/16 9:16 a.m.

I am the middle son of SVreX, and I have been coming to the GRM Challenge since 2004, when I was 5. In the past I have ridden shotgun in some creations that probably defy the laws of physics cough (Aussie) cough. And I have ridden next to some pretty incredible drivers.

But yesterday was different. Yesterday I was the one in the drivers seat.

Let me count the firsts:

• First day driving a stick shift
  • First day driving on an autocross course
  • First day driving on a drag strip
  • First day having a car shut down while I was driving
  • And finally first day I realized that autocross is one of the funnest things EVER

Thank you staff for putting together a great event that is a ton of fun for all ages. And thank you to the others attending the event who were patient with me while I was feeling this new experience out.

And especially thanks to my dad (SVreX)for teaching me (and being patient while I figured this out), and Mr Joshua and Spinout007 for helping me out with some tips and tricks.

It was a blast and I'm looking forward to coming back to drive in it again next year.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
10/1/16 9:25 a.m.

You did really really well. It was amusing to watch problems we assumed to be amateur mistakes turn out to be car problems every time.

Now you guys have a year to practice autocrossing and tuning megasquirt.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/16 12:08 p.m.

TERMINATOR APPROVED THREAD

sergio
sergio Reader
10/1/16 12:11 p.m.

Yes autocrossing is a blast. You learn car control for the real world. Just wait til you do a track day(HPDE) !!!

sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
10/1/16 12:12 p.m.

And I bet this kid will never smoke crack. Good parenting svrx!

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/16 2:05 p.m.

Welcome aboard!!

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing HalfDork
10/1/16 3:35 p.m.
sesto elemento wrote: And I bet this kid will never smoke crack. Good parenting svrx!

Because he is already addicted to the most expensive drug on the planet: MOTOR SPORTS!!! Speed, the real thing!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/1/16 4:35 p.m.

Koolaid- what has been drunk cannot be undrunk!

Wait,,, is this MY kid I'm saying something to about getting drunk or some such thing???

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/1/16 4:38 p.m.

OK, now I'm pissed!

I've been on this freakin site for over 12 years, and you boneheads have NEVER +1ed me 15 times! I'm taking it personally!!

And while I dictate this out loud and type, that kid is in the background laughing at me! NOT GIGGLING! FULL OUT BELL LAUGHS!!

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/1/16 4:46 p.m.

Reading this makes me glad. Well done!

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
10/1/16 4:55 p.m.
sesto elemento wrote: And I bet this kid will never smoke crack. Good parenting svrx!

Sad to say... he just did, different brand, same problems.

kb58
kb58 Dork
10/1/16 5:04 p.m.

Now try a track day event...

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
10/1/16 5:07 p.m.

I hope you didn't want him to have a boat load of money to take care of you in your old aged days.... he will be blowing it on car stuff... like the rest of us.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/1/16 5:32 p.m.

Well Done all!

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
10/1/16 6:45 p.m.

Sadly, getting him hooked on motorsports means he will only be able to afford a crappy nursing home for you. You might have kind of hosed yourself there SVreX.

pkingham
pkingham GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/1/16 7:07 p.m.

In reply to kazoospec:

Yeah, totally true, but he won't have to walk!

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
10/1/16 7:55 p.m.
SVreX wrote: OK, now I'm pissed! I've been on this freakin site for over 12 years, and you boneheads have NEVER +1ed me 15 times! I'm taking it personally!! And while I dictate this out loud and type, that kid is in the background laughing at me! NOT GIGGLING! FULL OUT BELL LAUGHS!!

To add insult to injury, I just clicked up to +25. Sorry SVreX!

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce Dork
10/1/16 9:13 p.m.

Nice work SoS! It's been cool watching you grow up. Remember all the feelings you felt today, firsts are such an amazing thing. You'll daydream back to them the rest of your life.

Bruce

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/1/16 9:41 p.m.
SVreX wrote: And while I dictate this out loud and type, that kid is in the background laughing at me! NOT GIGGLING! FULL OUT BELL LAUGHS!!

Ah, family. Giving you loving support in your darkest times of need and taking you down a peg or two every other time they can.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/2/16 12:48 a.m.

I think I've created a monster...

The kid makes 1 post, and immediately hits the top ten of the Top Rated.

At this rate, he will rapidly surpass fish berkeleyers. If his mother hears about this, I am screwed. I have most certainly failed as a parent!

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
10/2/16 11:03 a.m.

In reply to SVreX:

I hope my kids do the same thing to me some day!

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/2/16 11:15 a.m.

In reply to SVreX:

Because we weren't aware that you were doing something as awesome as getting your son involved with the madness of the disease that we share. Thank you for showcasing the best aspect of what the challenge is and can be about.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/2/16 1:06 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift:

Yeah, this insanity has been part of our family for 12 years. I'm pretty sure my family now owns the record for both the newest driver (SoS), AND the youngest driver (my eldest drove the autocross then held on their road track at the age of 15 in 2004)).

We have also most likely brought the most kids- as many as 7or 8 per year, and SVreXlings have individually made the trip over 30 times. My daughter was an infant her first trip- we had the equivalent of a nursery in the car trailer.

Pretty much all of my cars have been built by students- High school or younger. We homeschool, and get lots of kids involved, scouts, etc. I figure it's like auto shop class for homeschoolers.

It's great to have a family friendly venue where we can expose the next generation. It's also great to see more families still getting involved.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/2/16 4:27 p.m.

You did awesome, dude. It's amazing (and, I admit, a little weird) seeing our second-generation Challengers compete.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/2/16 7:32 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

Seeing second generation competitors at any event or series should be the goal, it means an idea is sustainable.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0EVVKgfBrMTDIxLwLSEAbwoixjJpxwJpzTmLUeyEdfkx0XjWaRCXrJn9POK9c72V