1 2 3
Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/25/13 8:25 a.m.

Thanks, I am going to try that out.

Btw, I have owned three BMWs and never found the part prices to be more expensive than any japanese car I have owned. All the way to a 2005 e46 M3, prices were still reasonable. The high part prices is an internet myth started by people that never owned a BMW.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/25/13 10:57 a.m.

In reply to Slippery:

True, but I'm comparing to Ford/Chevy pricing. $14 calipers and $300 rebuild kits don't usually come with BMW part numbers.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/25/13 11:39 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: In reply to Slippery: True, but I'm comparing to Ford/Chevy pricing. $14 calipers and $300 rebuild kits don't usually come with BMW part numbers.

Nonetheless, you'd be surprised how cheap something as late as, say, an E39 is to keep going. They are not nearly as bad as many people say.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/25/13 11:57 a.m.
SlickDizzy wrote:
Toyman01 wrote: In reply to Slippery: True, but I'm comparing to Ford/Chevy pricing. $14 calipers and $300 rebuild kits don't usually come with BMW part numbers.
Nonetheless, you'd be surprised how cheap something as late as, say, an E39 is to keep going. They are not nearly as bad as many people say.

They are certainly more reasonable than I thought they were. The A/C compressor was only $179. That's about $50 cheaper than the one I just put in one of my work vans. Over all, most of the parts aren't too bad.

ppddppdd
ppddppdd Reader
8/26/13 9:04 a.m.

They are if you take them to the dealer, which is what a lot of people do. Thinking back to other "aspirational" brands of cars I've owned, I think BMW parts have the biggest OEM vs "non-junk aftermarket" price difference out there.

I've found them a lot cheaper to run than, say, Audis and VW, not to mention generally a lot easier to work on.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
40dLwBUT1KM4aqPY4hNZxISrDCXMFyFe8wzIR1dPIGP8zGVYkCXZNSxIz6P4zuJF