1 2 3 4
wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
2/18/15 5:31 p.m.

Had my i3 purchase all but done. Agreed price, agreed options, had the cash for the down payment in my safe. Heck its the deal on the bloody website.

Went down to pick it up and somehow magically it became almost 5 grand more expensive they we had agreed to over the phone little here little there but it added up. Told them they could stuff it and as I was leaving they were already joking about how often that works and I was the first in a few weeks to scoff.

I swear I should just throw 4K at the truck and make it 100% perfect for the next 10 years and just never deal with dealers again.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
2/18/15 5:37 p.m.

I was going to go into a long diatribe about how BMW dealers are universally hated, and it doesn't matter because fanbois and posers will always buy them anyway, but that might have offended all the BMW people here...

Congrats on not being a fanboi or poser.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/18/15 5:48 p.m.

So they didn't move at all when you started to walk out?

I guess they have plenty lined up to pay their price.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
2/18/15 5:54 p.m.

It's not just BMW dealers, it's nearly all of them! I find buying a new car one of the most soul sucking experiences you can have. I have walked on a few deals just like you did. $5K must be the magic amount because that's the same amount they tacked on to me. I had pin striping, tire warranty package, even a paint pen which somehow shot the price up 5k! I would love the day to come when you can just order on line direct from the manufacturer. I would rather do anything than buy a new car!

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/18/15 6:42 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy:

I am a total fanboi but I only buy them from posers who pay my depreciation for me. berkeley the dealers. None taken ;)

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/18/15 6:55 p.m.

Next time make them sign something for the agreed price.

All the same, that's E36 M3ty.

Which dealer? Call them out.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
2/18/15 7:25 p.m.
Feedyurhed wrote: It's not just BMW dealers, it's nearly all of them! I would love the day to come when you can just order on line direct from the manufacturer. I would rather do anything than buy a new car!

Isn't that exactly what Tesla Motors is doing?

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
2/18/15 7:43 p.m.
HappyAndy wrote:
Feedyurhed wrote: It's not just BMW dealers, it's nearly all of them! I would love the day to come when you can just order on line direct from the manufacturer. I would rather do anything than buy a new car!
Isn't that exactly what Tesla Motors is doing?

Yup!

What dealership was it? You know we broke the internet long before Ms Photoshop butt did.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
2/18/15 7:52 p.m.

weary arent you in SD? or am I not remembering correctly when you were considering that car to leave at the airport all the time? Anyway locally I autox with BMWCCA and at least from what I know people only have good things to say about one dealer and thats El Cajon.

If you are in SD I can see if I can get someone to reach out to you and make it right

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
2/18/15 7:58 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: Everyone wants to buy direct, but would never pay MSRP from a dealer, why is that? The consumer did this to themselves. And dealer that puts a fair price online loses business to the ones that play games, because people shop by the lowest price. Ask any dealer that advertises, one price, no games, etc. 100% of the people that walk in the door insist "you can do better" and try to play games.... When GM started Saturn, everyone said "what a way to buy, the price is right on the car" and paid MSRP. The markup on a Saturn was one of the highest in the business. People would shop a Cavalier and walk on a $300 deal insisting the dealer was screwing them then go buy a Saturn for $2200 profit at MSRP. Tesla is not cutting out the dealer to save the consumer money, they are cutting out the dealer so they make more per car, not save you more.

Agreed.

Of all the new cars I've bought, I've basically walked in and said, "Make me a good deal and I'll buy the car."

It's amazing all the pro-right, capitalists on this site want to refuse to let the dealership make some coin. I won't call out the Heh----------

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
2/18/15 8:46 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
Datsun1500 wrote: Everyone wants to buy direct, but would never pay MSRP from a dealer, why is that? The consumer did this to themselves. And dealer that puts a fair price online loses business to the ones that play games, because people shop by the lowest price. Ask any dealer that advertises, one price, no games, etc. 100% of the people that walk in the door insist "you can do better" and try to play games.... When GM started Saturn, everyone said "what a way to buy, the price is right on the car" and paid MSRP. The markup on a Saturn was one of the highest in the business. People would shop a Cavalier and walk on a $300 deal insisting the dealer was screwing them then go buy a Saturn for $2200 profit at MSRP. Tesla is not cutting out the dealer to save the consumer money, they are cutting out the dealer so they make more per car, not save you more.
Agreed. Of all the new cars I've bought, I've basically walked in and said, "Make me a good deal and I'll buy the car." It's amazing all the pro-right, capitalists on this site want to refuse to let the dealership make some coin. I won't call out the Heh----------

I don't think you quite understand what I was saying. Of course the dealer needs to make a profit. I could even understand if all dealers asked MSRP and refused to budge. My problem is the shady practices used to inflate the final cost. As I mentioned in my previous post I had one experience like this. I had worked out a deal to purchase a new car at an agreed upon price, which by the way happened to be MSRP. Most dealers were asking over and above that. I showed up at the dealer to pick up the car only to find out they had added on $4999.00 over and above the price they had agreed to. The extra money was for a tire guarantee package which meant if I had a flat tire or bent a rim it would be replaced at no cost. One pin stripe that ran down each side of the vehicle and one tube of touch up paint. I am completely serious about this. It was actually posted on the window with some goofy name like "future maintenance package" or some such nonsense. How many tires and rims could you buy for $5K? Lots, that's how many. I also had a purchase agreement and looked into a lawyer who wanted a $1500 retainer fee to even consider the case. So if I did sue, more cost, time off of work and I would be even further behind. I called the manufacturer and was told each dealership is independently owned and they can set their own prices. So the whole thing is complete idiocy. So ya I am not against making a profit only shady dealerships. Needless to say I walked on that deal. I could go on and on about this topic. I worked at a dealership while I was in college so I saw first hand.........it's absolutely disgusting what most of them do.

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Reader
2/18/15 8:48 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac:

Agreed. Of all the new cars I've bought, I've basically walked in and said, "Make me a good deal and I'll buy the car." It's amazing all the pro-right, capitalists on this site want to refuse to let the dealership make some coin. I won't call out the Heh----------

Did you read the original post? They had an agreed upon price, and they had it on their website- and raised the price when he came in. If they were not willing to sell at that price, they shouldn't have agreed to it. That's not capitalism, that's wasting someone's time. I'm all for negotiation, but that's not negotiation. Your version of capitalism would suck. Imagine getting to the check stand with a cart full of groceries, and the checker decides to raise the prices because you look hungry.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/18/15 9:44 p.m.
Boost_Crazy wrote: Did you read the original post? They had an agreed upon price, and they had it on their website- and raised the price when he came in. If they were not willing to sell at that price, they shouldn't have agreed to it. That's not capitalism, that's wasting someone's time. I'm all for negotiation, but that's not negotiation. Your version of capitalism would suck. Imagine getting to the check stand with a cart full of groceries, and the checker decides to raise the prices because you look hungry.

It's not just "wasting someone's time", it's fraud.

RexSeven
RexSeven UberDork
2/18/15 9:52 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: It's amazing all the pro-right, capitalists on this site want to refuse to let the dealership make some coin. I won't call out the Heh----------

Ease up on the flounder there...

Flight Service wrote: What dealership was it? You know we broke the internet long before Ms Photoshop butt did.

THIS. If even one person looking for a Bimmer stumbles upon our humble little forum and avoids these douchecanoes because of how they tried to screw you over Weary, then you've done a good deed in my book. However, if you are worried they might lawyer up, then I can see why you'd be reluctant to call them out. And that makes them all the more E36 M3ty.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
2/18/15 9:55 p.m.

Two fees that...no make that three fees that make me walk- First, the "documentation" fee to do the paperwork on the car, new or used, at any lot- The agreed price is $xxxx. I'm writing the cheque for that. If you haven't made enough dough to keep the doors open, that's your fault. Second- The buyers premium at an auction sale. I bid it to $xxx, that's the number on the cheque. I go to the auction because the guy selling doesn't want the aggravation of selling privately. Let him pay your fees. Third, and the one that irks me most of all- Really, Costco? You want me to write you a $35 cheque so I can come in your store and buy a lifesize bottle of Mrs. Butterworth syrup? Not in this lifetime, shiny happy person.

2/18/15 10:09 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy:

Duuuude. You have not lived until you have pumped a toothbrush full of crest from a 40g drum.

FWIW: Sam's Club... I just bought a new TV and the cost was $66 less than Amazon or Newegg for the same model so the annual is already recovered before I buy my first 72oz Dilda-Glide tube of Preperation H. So... atleast in my case I'm cool with it.

On the doc fees... agree. When I make a deal new or used I ask "What number am I writing on the check". If it disagrees with the one on the paper... bye-bye.

2/18/15 10:11 p.m.
codrus wrote:
Boost_Crazy wrote: Did you read the original post? They had an agreed upon price, and they had it on their website- and raised the price when he came in. If they were not willing to sell at that price, they shouldn't have agreed to it. That's not capitalism, that's wasting someone's time. I'm all for negotiation, but that's not negotiation. Your version of capitalism would suck. Imagine getting to the check stand with a cart full of groceries, and the checker decides to raise the prices because you look hungry.

I'm not sure I'd buy the car from them anyway after that - but I would send my story to the atty general's office. Perhaps by way of the local news slut that does those "Working for YOU!" stories.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
2/18/15 10:29 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: Two fees that...no make that three fees that make me walk- First, the "documentation" fee to do the paperwork on the car, new or used, at any lot- The agreed price is $xxxx. I'm writing the cheque for that. If you haven't made enough dough to keep the doors open, that's your fault. Second- The buyers premium at an auction sale. I bid it to $xxx, that's the number on the cheque. I go to the auction because the guy selling doesn't want the aggravation of selling privately. Let him pay your fees. Third, and the one that irks me most of all- Really, Costco? You want me to write you a $35 cheque so I can come in your store and buy a lifesize bottle of Mrs. Butterworth syrup? Not in this lifetime, shiny happy person.

Costco actually has really good pricing on new cars like better than X-plan when I was pricing fords. Oh and if you didn't know you can buy booze at Costco without a membership so maybe not Mrs Butterworths but its something

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/18/15 11:03 p.m.
codrus wrote:

Yup.

Unless he negotiated something other than the published price. Then it's just E36 M3ty tactics.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
2/18/15 11:39 p.m.

So they called me back and agreed to the original deal. So I drove down ~40 miles to do the deal. Well the car that I wanted that they agreed to do the deal on was actually in fleet and had 3K miles on it so non of the discounts applied. They claim to not know this before I drove down.

They did have a white one with the same option package. Same MSRP and options just different color. Again the price was higher then it should. They had hidden 185$ for dealer training and 500$ for MOCO which is there advertisement fee which was never disclosed and they jacked the money factor up to 3.49% from 1.49%

Short answer I walked I will never deal with BMW in any capacity again. They tried to pull me back to fix these things and I told them where they could shove it. When they got nasty I got nasty and found the GM and told him what had happened. Then they made a Luftwaffe joke in front of me a Jewish guy with 50 pounds and a head in height on them. I walked the last thing I need is a Felony strike.

2/18/15 11:46 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe:

That not only seems like some shady stuff but some folks who need their sense of humor checked. I mean... I'm all for a good religious stereotype joke... but timing is everything. Typically BEFORE the sale is final is not a good time

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
2/18/15 11:58 p.m.

wow weary, that's just crazy. Goes from bad to worse.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/19/15 12:03 a.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: Then they made a Luftwaffe joke in front of me a Jewish guy...

SERIOUSLY???

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
2/19/15 12:17 a.m.
Appleseed wrote:
wearymicrobe wrote: Then they made a Luftwaffe joke in front of me a Jewish guy...
SERIOUSLY???

Happens more often I care to admit, my last name might as well be gold hoarder to bigots, its that easy to tell. Even in professional environments I get it now and then. I had a seller yell don't Jew me over a few grand in a 500K+ yearly deal. There was no deal, and privately I made his boss aware of what was said.

I was almost expelled from high school on first day after a transfer from the hell hole that I went to in LA to a very wealthy school here. Someone made a joke along the lines of shoving me in a oven, it was near a locker, and then pranced over to his friends like it was nothing. He ended up in the ER once I found him alone and was done with him, nobody was willing to back him up for some reason after that.

I am willing to bet that 50% of my friends from the old days are dead or in prison.

chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
2/19/15 12:40 a.m.

I'll paraphrase Mr. Hitchens: "Anti-semitism is an unfailing sign of mental pathology."

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Z8ogGkjW3NiaW88VpM0X7x3sfqaXbtZsLCBajsrnXJ4C5KLvxjdcb2UVRXXYO8iK