1 2
dyintorace (Forum Supporter)
dyintorace (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/3/21 8:52 p.m.

As outlined in this thread (This is HoserRacing's fault), I made an impulse decision to buy this car. As is often the case when buying someone else's unfinished project, there is much to unravel and much to do. Couple that with my appalling lack of knowledge and you have the recipe for disaster. The goal of this thread will be to avoid that outcome if possible.

To start, the motor is in the car, but not actually mounted in the car. Furthermore, the front subframe was cut for unknown reasons. Also, the engine (a 5.3L from a Silverado that seems to have some car accessories) came mated to a 5 speed supposedly from a Silverado, which seems to mean it is a NV4500. I'm not sure that transmission even works in an e39 swap. If it can work, I'd like to get the motor and transmission mounted as a first step. I found a guy on Bimmerforums who sells motor and transmission mounts, except that he doesn't have transmission mounts for that particular transmission.

So, for now, initial questions are:

1. Do I need to try to get a subframe put back in?
2. Will the NV4500 work in an e39 swap?
3. If so, will I need to figure out a custom mounting solution?

2/3/21 8:53 p.m.

2/3/21 8:54 p.m.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
2/3/21 9:11 p.m.

I'd bet this swap is well documented on bimmerforums.  Not sure but there is a lot of documention on LS e36 builds.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
2/3/21 10:02 p.m.

If it came out a 4.8 silverado it could well be an NV3500, which would probably be a little more friendly for gearing. I don't know how to tell the difference - but I would guess it'll be harder to find an off the shelf mount for that in a BMW

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
2/3/21 11:59 p.m.

No help to add at the moment, but I am pretty stoked up for ya!

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
2/4/21 7:17 a.m.

If it's an NV4500, it's a pretty big trans.  I'd question if it'll fit in the tunnel. 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
2/4/21 8:13 a.m.

Oh boy.  You decided to dive into the deep end.  Having done an LSx swap into my 951 I can tell you that everyone that says these swaps are easy and stuff just plugs right in has either never done one, is lying, or has drunk enough after their swap to have selective memory.

These swaps, while not technically difficult, are a ton of work for everything to get working properly.  Like AC, cruise control, gauges, etc, etc.  If you're paying a shop to do it, even one who's done this specific swap before, it's gonna get real expensive, real fast...

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
2/4/21 8:31 a.m.
Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
2/4/21 8:55 a.m.

In reply to Chris_V :

Stop it! I cant get any more erect!

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
2/4/21 8:59 a.m.
docwyte said:

Oh boy.  You decided to dive into the deep end.  Having done an LSx swap into my 951 I can tell you that everyone that says these swaps are easy and stuff just plugs right in has either never done one, is lying, or has drunk enough after their swap to have selective memory.

These swaps, while not technically difficult, are a ton of work for everything to get working properly.  Like AC, cruise control, gauges, etc, etc.  If you're paying a shop to do it, even one who's done this specific swap before, it's gonna get real expensive, real fast...

This right here.  I'm nearing the end of an LS swap into a 300ZX and there are so many fiddily details and basically everything has to be fabricated.  Little things like making the bmw throttle pedal work with the LS tb or making the drive by wire work, creating an exhaust from scratch, etc.  Integrating it well with the car and keeping it a good car with everything working is difficult and time consuming.  Making a raw race car with nothing but a power train is much easier.  I've done plenty of swaps before but they were usually related or supported, this is none of these really. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/4/21 9:27 a.m.
dyintorace (Forum Supporter) said:

1. I'd get a good subframe. IIRC, the e39s have 2 significantly different setups. the v8s came with pitman arm steering and the i6s came with rack and pinion. That leads me to guess the front subframes are likely significantly different. I believe the rack and pinion is preferred for sporting 'feel', but I don't have much experience driving v8 e39s. I know the i6s steered good. 

2. Is this for a challenge build? If so, use the trans you already have. If not, there might be better choices. I'm not very familiar with the options, but I have driven trucks with MTs, and they never feel 'sporting' (long throws, really low first gears, no fast shifts, heavy clutches and flywheels, etc). 

3. I think the answer here is "yes" no matter what you decide to go with for a trans. Even off the shelf swap parts will likely require a lot of custom work to get right. 

2/4/21 7:16 p.m.
Chris_V said:

Here's my buddy's E29 LS swap for inspiration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8l_8rp-fek

And a build thread:

https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/here-goes-nothing-its-not-for-everyone-lsx-427-bmw-e39-touring.6060467/

And when he finally sold it: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-bmw-528it/

I'm very familiar with that build, having read the thread from start to finish. What a stunning car! Cool to know that he's your friend.

2/4/21 7:19 p.m.
docwyte said:

The good news is that I don't care about any of those ancillary items. I'm in this for short money and my goal is to get it running. No A/C, cruise, etc. Gauges would be nice but I can also just add a Racepak or something. I'm aiming for an inexpensive track attack wagon and nothing more.

2/4/21 7:21 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

1. I'd get a good subframe. IIRC, the e39s have 2 significantly different setups. the v8s came with pitman arm steering and the i6s came with rack and pinion. That leads me to guess the front subframes are likely significantly different. I believe the rack and pinion is preferred for sporting 'feel', but I don't have much experience driving v8 e39s. I know the i6s steered good. 

2. Is this for a challenge build? If so, use the trans you already have. If not, there might be better choices. I'm not very familiar with the options, but I have driven trucks with MTs, and they never feel 'sporting' (long throws, really low first gears, no fast shifts, heavy clutches and flywheels, etc). 

3. I think the answer here is "yes" no matter what you decide to go with for a trans. Even off the shelf swap parts will likely require a lot of custom work to get right. 

Not a Challenge build. Even so, I'd prefer to at least start with the existing transmission, if it can be made to work, given that I have it. Going with a T56 would double (or more than double) my current investment in the car. I might end up determing that it would still be cheaper to go in that direction though, if the current transmission just won't work.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
2/4/21 9:46 p.m.

I could think of far better track weapons that would be the same, if not less money...

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
2/5/21 7:42 a.m.

Good luck on this one  I saw it but need another project like a hold in the head. 

If the trans ends up not working due to size (also the NV3500 and 4500 aren't known for their quick shifting quality) you could look into the fabot adapter to the AR5.  

2/5/21 9:30 a.m.
Greg Voth said:

Good luck on this one  I saw it but need another project like a hold in the head. 

If the trans ends up not working due to size (also the NV3500 and 4500 aren't known for their quick shifting quality) you could look into the fabot adapter to the AR5.  

While you may have avoided buying it, how about a trip up to Gainesville one day soon to wrench on it? laugh

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/5/21 9:41 a.m.
docwyte said:

I could think of far better track weapons that would be the same, if not less money...

There are always better options for track cars. Sometimes you just get a spark for a car and have to see where it takes you. If this were a 1989 hyundai excel I might disparage the choice but a v8 e39 seems like a hoot. 

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
2/5/21 10:04 a.m.
Greg Voth said:

While you may have avoided buying it, how about a trip up to Gainesville one day soon to wrench on it? laugh

I'm happy to take a look at it / try to help. My project completion rate is about as good as yours though lol. 

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
2/5/21 7:13 p.m.

Not a Challenge build. Even so, I'd prefer to at least start with the existing transmission, if it can be made to work, given that I have it. Going with a T56 would double (or more than double) my current investment in the car. I might end up determing that it would still be cheaper to go in that direction though, if the current transmission just won't work.

Curtis has a excellent deal on a new T56 (if he hasn't sold it yet). Its still a chunk of change, and prolly not newbie friendly, but would def. have the "cool" factor going for it!

I have a used one I could be talked out of, but it comes with the car and a parts car! (97 Firebird Formula)

2/6/21 3:36 p.m.

Okay...we put the car up on jackstands today so we could crawl under it and take some pictures. Photo dump below. The transmission is mounted, though the end of the transmission doesn't seem to line up with the shifter hole. I couldn't find any markings on the transmission. Does anyone recognize it? The engine is defiintely NOT mounted, and is just resting on the steering rack. The frant subframe was cut out, though I would be surprised to see the swap done without doing that, given where the engine is sitting. I'm not sure what oil pan is on the motor, but the bottom of it seems awfully low.

Thoughts??

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
2/6/21 4:24 p.m.

So, um, that big section of the trans ground off for exhaust clearance... Was that for the starter?

I hope not.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
2/6/21 4:33 p.m.

After some quick googling, the starter mat bolt to the block instead so maybe that clearance on the bell housing is ok.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/17/21 11:23 a.m.

In reply to Chris_V :

Wow on the wagon build. Glad (kinda) to see that it went for real money. Looks great in that color. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NavFTINhxQui5d2BouO3di7gfDUtyPAQmZQc5nyErEWuFioopscJ4gv5ScboTdpS