1 2
oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy HalfDork
10/1/11 12:36 p.m.

I know, sacrilege....

but the drivetrain in the E9 6 series was always one reason I never bought one. I wonder how a 2JZ would work... and if that were too long, then maybe a 1GG would fit....

I know, I know..... sacrilege

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
10/1/11 1:17 p.m.

With what I have seen of the amount of rust on those cars i would have a hard time buying one. Most of the ones I have seen had more rust than 70s italian cars, and even with no rust visible they could easily take $20k in rust repair and paint to be perfect. It wasnt a BMW, but I saw some pictures of the restoration of a $15k fiat abarth that was featured on bring a trailer, and it made me realize just how much a car like that can cost.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/1/11 5:39 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: I know, sacrilege.... but the drivetrain in the E9 6 series was always one reason I never bought one. I wonder how a 2JZ would work... and if that were too long, then maybe a 1GG would fit.... I know, I know..... sacrilege

Sorry.. the E9 is NOT the six series.. that did not happen till the E24

pres589
pres589 Dork
10/1/11 5:58 p.m.

In reply to oldeskewltoy:

What's so bad about the drivetrain again? It seems like the problems are cost and rust and the costs associated with rust.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy HalfDork
10/1/11 7:37 p.m.

not as powerful, nor economical as I'd like it to be...

In that car I'd love 250hp and 30 mpg... from memory neither of those is really attainable. Also from memory... don't they have twin down draught 3 barrel carbs?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_E9 - Wiki says, "The BMW New Six CS (internal name BMW E9) was a two-door coupé built for BMW by Karmann from 1968 to 1975."

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
10/1/11 8:22 p.m.

Part of the fun of old cars is the old engines. I don't think a modern engine with way too much power for the stock suspension and brakes would be that great. Also, unless windshields are a lot cheaper than I would expect I don't think someone would drive it enough for mileage to matter.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/1/11 8:43 p.m.
oldtin wrote: Box flares make them awesomer

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/accidental-alexander-calder-sighting/40107/page1/

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
10/1/11 9:53 p.m.
Travis_K wrote: Part of the fun of old cars is the old engines. I don't think a modern engine with way too much power for the stock suspension and brakes would be that great. Also, unless windshields are a lot cheaper than I would expect I don't think someone would drive it enough for mileage to matter.

250hp would be too much? Boooooooo....

sanman
sanman Reader
10/2/11 1:34 a.m.

I'll take mine in black please!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/2/11 4:48 a.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_E9 - Wiki says, "The BMW New Six CS (internal name BMW E9) was a two-door coupé built for BMW by Karmann from 1968 to 1975."

I would have to say that the Wiki is wrong there.

While the E9 did eventually beget the 6 series.. it was not known as the Six series because BMW had not yet started numbering their cars in that system. There was no 1,3,5,6,7.or 8 series yet. It was simply BMW's Big coupe.. usually known by displacement number and the letters "CS"

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
10/2/11 7:27 a.m.

Maybe the Wiki entry means to say "The BMW New Six cylinder CS..."

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/2/11 9:50 a.m.

Interestingly, the one featured on BaT was sold in less than a day! Evidently we aren't the only ones who love them!

que45
que45 New Reader
10/2/11 12:24 p.m.

The car is hot. It reminds me of the oldsmobile bubble tops from the 60's

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QfjtKQOTYqdIlM9Txfulq2xOmf7i1rmMJTzrSB8Oa6lnia00QZ0kIlc4EjRSh4OR