cutter67
cutter67 Reader
2/1/13 9:51 a.m.

never being around this engines except for buying and selling the cars that they are in until last weekend when i started to do a timing chain in one. i ordered the parts plus special tools to make it easier to do the work it all came to just over $500.00. i was talking to a friend and he remarked why didnt i just buy a engine and I said they must want a fortune for them. to my surprise i located 3 with out too much trouble all with less than a 100k on them and all for under $400.00 so i bought one a 40 these engines put out 282hp stock and are pretty compact and built really well i think. i was just wondering if anyone else is playing with them.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
2/1/13 9:55 a.m.

Nickasil vesus alumasil block issue was blown way outta proportion......and was surprisingly enough caused by owners putting E36 M3ty fuel in their nickasil blocked engines.

I want one for the ti, but I'd have to buy a 5 series v8 6sp to even make the swap "reasonable"

cutter67
cutter67 Reader
2/1/13 10:25 a.m.

i had a friend at BMW run the casting number the engine i bought is a Alumasil. i really want to supercharge this engine for some strange reason. i think cleaned up it looks good with out all the plastic covers

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/1/13 10:27 a.m.

It's a somewhat common E30 swap. Good to know they are so cheap. Hell of a lot cheaper than an S50/52. I'm still mulling engine swaps for next winter for Ugly. I just don't think the small power boost of an M50/52 is worth the trouble. The M30 has it's merits, but it's a heavy sucker. The Ford 5.0 thing is ultra-tempting, but seems very compromised from an exhaust standpoint. Of course, with any V8 swap you run into brake booster issues, but there are workarounds.

I should start watching Craigslist for rusted-out 540i's......

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
2/1/13 10:46 a.m.
cutter67 wrote: i had a friend at BMW run the casting number the engine i bought is a Alumasil. i really want to supercharge this engine for some strange reason. i think cleaned up it looks good with out all the plastic covers

You should be in good shape, supercharging it should be relatively straight forward if using a centrifugal.

cutter67
cutter67 Reader
2/1/13 11:01 a.m.
yamaha wrote: You should be in good shape, supercharging it should be relatively straight forward if using a centrifugal.

looking at it i think a procharger right where the ac compressor mounts has it own belt and adjuster. the air intake comes out over top of it easy plumbing, plenty of room out front for a intercooler.....must stop thinking to many projects right now

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
2/1/13 11:37 a.m.

Thats a worthy challenge

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
2/1/13 4:02 p.m.

I once saw a E46 with a vortech supercharger installed, don't know anything about BMWs though.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
2/1/13 5:00 p.m.

In reply to benzbaronDaryn:

I believe active auto works had centrifugal, twin screw roots, and turbo setups available for e46 m3's

Joshua
Joshua HalfDork
2/1/13 6:40 p.m.

My e36 M3 had a Vortech supercharger. PLENTY of power.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
2/1/13 7:26 p.m.

They are cheaper than x5x swaps because there is significantly more work to get one in the car.

An E36 I6 into an E30 literally takes a brake booster, wiring adapter, exhaust work and an ECU. And because people are scared of maintaining that many chain guides, valley gasket, etc.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
2/2/13 12:28 a.m.

I have an E34 530i. The M60B30 the 305/307 in Bimmerdom. It is completely unloved. I love mine as it is revvy little engine. Too bad BMW chocked it down . . . a tune, 4.0L parts (maf, intake, throttle body) frees up close to 30 ponies (mostly top end). It could make a similar power curve of a tuned S52 with VERY broad torque curve.

The B40 is known to be bit underrated and dyno somewhere in the 260whp range.

Both share the same cams and the heavy ass dual mass flywheel. The B30 has smaller valves, intake, tb, and maf.

Things to look out for. . .

• Intake gaskets
  • Vavle cover gaskets
  • Valley pan and gasket
  • Intake PCV
  • Coil boots
  • Usual Bimmer cooling system stuffs

Basically, the M60 does NOT like leaks (air or fluids).

cutter67
cutter67 Reader
2/10/13 6:01 p.m.

i started to tear into the M60 this week end. i found a brand new short block that was laying in the back of a BMW dealers parts room and it hadnt been show on inventory for about 10years i was told. i got it "dirt cheap" but here are some pics of engine tear down. for those who have never see one before

the car sat for two months while the owner was deciding what to do with it and something tried to set up housekeeping under the intake

would ITB's look good or what

im pretty fat but i think i would still have chain left over from making a belt

i love the oil pump

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 HalfDork
2/19/13 2:04 a.m.
Strike_Zero wrote: I have an E34 530i. The M60B30 the 305/307 in Bimmerdom. It is completely unloved. I love mine as it is revvy little engine. Too bad BMW chocked it down . . . a tune, 4.0L parts (maf, intake, throttle body) frees up close to 30 ponies (mostly top end). It could make a similar power curve of a tuned S52 with VERY broad torque curve. The B40 is known to be bit underrated and dyno somewhere in the 260whp range. Both share the same cams and the heavy ass dual mass flywheel. The B30 has smaller valves, intake, tb, and maf. Things to look out for. . . - Intake gaskets - Vavle cover gaskets - Valley pan and gasket - Intake PCV - Coil boots - Usual Bimmer cooling system stuffs Basically, the M60 does NOT like leaks (air or fluids).

Good info, I just bought a 530i about a month ago as a DD, even after reading several peoples complaints on the engine. I drove it and with the manual tranny I love this engine. A little more power would be great and a little more revs to play with but I have found the engine to be super smooth and it is a joy to drive on a daily basis. I think the b40 upgrades are in my cars future, but probably not til after the 5.0 e30 is done.

I was happy to see this thread by the way and can't wait for further developments!

Josh

cutter67
cutter67 Reader
2/19/13 5:19 a.m.

people are always saying "how can these high end cars cost so much and what is so different to make that car worth the money". i would say at least 75% of the owners of these cars dont have a clue why they cost so much to build they just know the end results. when you tear one of these cars a part you find a new respect for the the german engineers that designed these cars. sure they are over engineered and there are a lot easier ways to end up at the same place but then it wouldnt be a BMW it would be a chevy....

just had time this weekend to clean and get parts ready to go on short block. still have to send heads out to be check....this coming weekend will be installing used engine back in car and i went with a 30 not the 40 liked planned didnt want to get into changing things

parts cleaned

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zwy0zqKxrfAUL1RF8yvKWiikERZTyRr8FRiB0DbrFBFlMn3nQjcBlrZrFwjRp7Hr