Jay
Jay UltraDork
4/30/12 6:43 p.m.

Okay, I know this is a long shot, but someone on here always seems to be able to pull the most absurd minutiae out of the corners of his/her gloriously pointy head, so I thought I'd give it a try anyway.

I found this in the box with my spare steering rack, it must have come from the shop that replaced it in 2008. They worked on all kinds of things but seemingly a lot of old Brit cars, ACVWs, and American iron (judging by what was kicking around the place the couple times I visited them.) "DDR" inscription may or may not mean East Germany, and the oval badge thing says "Dublina." Other than that I haven't got a clue.

Even just knowing the make would be useful so I can throw it on Kijiji. Any guesses?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
4/30/12 6:45 p.m.

Trabant 601. My google-fu is strong today.

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
4/30/12 7:17 p.m.

looks like it belongs on a refrigerator..

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/30/12 7:22 p.m.

The only thing I could think of was Mr. Bob Dobalina after reading dublina.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h3ynPZEOM4

No help, I know.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
4/30/12 7:24 p.m.
novaderrik wrote: looks like it belongs on a refrigerator..

That was my first thought as well.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
4/30/12 8:07 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: Trabant 601. My google-fu is strong today.

I was going to look at the door handle in this picture of a 601, but I got distracted.

mndsm
mndsm UberDork
4/30/12 8:37 p.m.

There's a car in that pic?

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
4/30/12 8:43 p.m.
mndsm wrote: There's a car in that pic?

yeah, and there is a girl in it that needs to eat a few cheeseburgers..

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/30/12 8:52 p.m.

Somebody didn't mask off the tires very well while spray-painting the wheels.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
4/30/12 9:34 p.m.
EvanB wrote: Somebody didn't mask off the tires very well while spray-painting the wheels.

lol, I figured I wouldn't be the only one here that noticed that!

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
4/30/12 9:36 p.m.
novaderrik wrote: yeah, and there is a girl in it that needs to eat a few cheeseburgers..

fat bottom girls may make the rockin' world go round, but remember that the Trabant doesn't have the power to haul that extra weight!

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/1/12 12:07 a.m.

1967-1972 chev pickup

Jay
Jay UltraDork
5/1/12 7:41 a.m.

Okay, weird... Most Trabis have matte black door handles with lock cylinders integrated in the push-button. I haven't noticed this model before.

On further research "Doblina" was a DDR-era factory that made lots of metal things for all kinds of applications, so that makes sense.

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
5/1/12 7:55 a.m.
Jay wrote: Okay, weird... Most Trabis have matte black door handles with lock cylinders integrated in the push-button. I haven't noticed this model before. On further research "Doblina" was a DDR-era factory that made lots of metal things for all kinds of applications, so that makes sense.

They made wartburg parts too apparently :)

NOHOME
NOHOME HalfDork
5/1/12 8:47 a.m.

tgl 48-33411 Just happens to be an e-bay vendor in what used to be East Germany. This can not be coincidence?

I dont see anything of that quality/heft being on a Trabant?! I mean, it was a carboard body for heavens sake.

And I figure a few schnitzels would be appropos to the young lass in the picture, maybe chassed down with a few beers in giant mugs

Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
5/1/12 11:21 a.m.

That is a nice looking door handle.

snap_understeer
snap_understeer New Reader
5/1/12 11:24 a.m.

VW Bus, I think. Shape fits.

Jay
Jay UltraDork
5/1/12 12:22 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: tgl 48-33411 Just happens to be an e-bay vendor in what used to be East Germany. This can not be coincidence? I dont see anything of that quality/heft being on a Trabant?! I mean, it was a carboard body for heavens sake.

Ya, it's pretty hefty. If this thing is really from a Trabi I think it'd be heavier than an entire outside door skin.

Internet evidence does seem to point to a Trabant part number but I'm guessing it's either an early part that was changed in later cars or a rare option - most of the ones I'm familiar with have black handles like this:

(^^ Note: found right here in the Readers' Rides... of course it was.)

I don't think it's from a VW Bus since small components like this didn't tend to jump the border. I've looked at the popular DDR vans like the Barkas B1000 but none of them have the right kind of handles either.

Fun fact: If you search for "Doblina", the vast majority of hits you get are about handcuff collecting.

Jay
Jay UltraDork
5/1/12 12:37 p.m.

Also, this really happened:

Luke
Luke UberDork
5/1/12 12:41 p.m.

Not quite, Google!

snap_understeer
snap_understeer New Reader
5/3/12 9:06 a.m.
Jay wrote:
NOHOME wrote: tgl 48-33411 Just happens to be an e-bay vendor in what used to be East Germany. This can not be coincidence? I dont see anything of that quality/heft being on a Trabant?! I mean, it was a carboard body for heavens sake.
Ya, it's pretty hefty. If this thing is really from a Trabi I think it'd be heavier than an entire outside door skin. Internet evidence does seem to point to a Trabant part number but I'm guessing it's either an early part that was changed in later cars or a rare option - most of the ones I'm familiar with have black handles like this:

Found an early 601 with the chrome handles!

fasted58
fasted58 UltraDork
5/3/12 9:13 a.m.

what nova said.. and it would look better on a refrigerator

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XlrT5Tgl550658yYxBuB7uULJKb5PS6Alano1A3Xo02G6DEiVEtvCTKJnJrcNO6O