1 2
jstein77
jstein77 Dork
10/24/12 3:47 p.m.

Article

That looks cool. Should probably be sold with a stiffer suspension and more aggresive tire package.

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
10/24/12 5:40 p.m.

add a Gurney bump and I'm all over it.

docwyte
docwyte HalfDork
10/24/12 5:55 p.m.

Gotta be the least surprising article out there. Kinda feel sorry for the people who didn't wait for it...

RexSeven
RexSeven UltraDork
10/24/12 6:06 p.m.

Supposedly the FA20 is beefier and can handle more boost than the current WRX/STi EJ255/EJ257 engines, despite all being open deck.

Might be enough for me to consider trading in my Mustang once it comes out...

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/24/12 7:18 p.m.

Ah, the fond words of yesteryear: There will never be a factory BRZ turbo, the engine is in the wrong place, sunspots, etc.

All of that talk from the factory really just meant: "Buy the BRZ now so we can prove we have the interest to produce a Turbo model down the line."

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
10/24/12 7:37 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: Ah, the fond words of yesteryear: There will never be a factory BRZ turbo, the engine is in the wrong place, sunspots, etc. All of that talk from the factory really just meant: "Buy the BRZ now so we can prove we have the interest to produce a Turbo model down the line."

I would laugh even more if they came out with an AWD version.

mrhappy
mrhappy HalfDork
10/24/12 7:55 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: I would laugh even more if they came out with an AWD version.

That would be a neat range of models.

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
10/24/12 8:29 p.m.

My wife is going to need a new car in a year or 2. This would be just perfect for "her".

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/24/12 8:55 p.m.

Supposedly there is to be a WRX 2 door in the works for 2014

lastsnare
lastsnare New Reader
10/24/12 9:25 p.m.

There have been some questions about the legitimacy of this turbo BRZ news. Supposedly the article that was originally cited didn't have any actual sources listed of its own. All it said was something like "sources tell us that....there will be a BRZ turbo...." I guess previously Subaru had officially stated that there would absolutely, positively not build a BRZ turbo, period. So, who to believe ? Time will tell. I have heard rumors that there will be a convertible. But I have no actual firm evidence to support this other than the word of a friend who is a Subaru salesperson and owns a BRZ. Whatever they come out with, I hope it's good, and I'm sure it will be more expensive than I would want to plop down money for :P

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
10/24/12 10:31 p.m.
Spinout007 wrote: Supposedly there is to be a WRX 2 door in the works for 2014

I'm assuming with a you're not pleased?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/24/12 10:34 p.m.

I was told by a Mazda dealer that the new Miata was going to be coupe-only. No more ragtop. He got prickly when I expressed doubt - "I think my sources are better than yours!"

This was in 1999.

So I believe stuff like this when I see it on the manufacturer's site :)

The0retical
The0retical Reader
10/25/12 12:17 a.m.
lastsnare wrote: I have heard rumors that there will be a convertible. But I have no actual firm evidence to support this other than the word of a friend who is a Subaru salesperson and owns a BRZ.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/01/toyota-lead-developer-confirms-droptop-ft-86/

we spotted a report in AutoBild that Tetsuya Tada, the chief engineer of the car, has confirmed that a convertible is coming, we got excited.

The US is not getting it however.

sobe_death
sobe_death HalfDork
10/25/12 7:01 a.m.

Well, we at least know there will be a TRD turbo kit, and that's also covered by the warranty!

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/25/12 8:10 a.m.

In reply to sobe_death:

You mean, like the "confirmed" TRD supercharger that's MIA?

sobe_death
sobe_death HalfDork
10/25/12 8:47 a.m.

Yeah, something to that effect

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
10/25/12 8:47 a.m.
sobe_death wrote: Well, we at least know there will be a TRD turbo kit, and that's also covered by the warranty!

Link to source?

TRD has been testing a supercharged version, but i don't think they've even officially confirmed that it will be available for sale.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/25/12 10:52 a.m.
Appleseed wrote:
Spinout007 wrote: Supposedly there is to be a WRX 2 door in the works for 2014
I'm assuming with a you're not pleased?

Personally I would be thrilled with a coup version, that is SWMBO biggest argument against a WRX. "we don't need a 4 door car, no kids!" But till I see it, its just the internet.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UltraDork
10/25/12 10:52 a.m.

I must be the only person who flat hates the idea of AWD in the FT86.

DO. NOT. WANT.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
10/25/12 10:53 a.m.
ReverendDexter wrote:
I must be the only person who flat hates the idea of AWD in the FT86. DO. NOT. WANT.

I'm with you.

And seeing what these motors are doing... i'm not even sure if i care about a factory forced induction option at this point.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
10/25/12 11:42 a.m.

I think I'm still just gonna buy an rx8 and then spend 5 years thinking about turboing it.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
10/26/12 8:43 a.m.

The FA20 turbo engine this rumor alludes to was already in the development pipeline for the next-generation WRX and Legacy. Neither this article or any other reveals their "sources" that say it'll go anywhere else...

"SUBARU BRZ POWERPLANT; IS SUBARU DEVELOPING A NEW TURBOCHARGER AND DIRECT-INJECTION SYSTEM FOR THE 2.0 LITER ENGINE? October 22, 2012 5:58 PM EDT | By Danny Choy

Back in August, we reported that Subaru tuner garage Accelerated Performance unveiled an in-house turbokit for the Subaru BRZ, effectively bumping its power output to 278-hp at the wheel.

Now, Subaru is reportedly developing a turbo for the 2.0 liter Boxer engine that is based on the BRZ. The new turbocharged powerplant will use a twin-scroll turbo system and a Subaru-sourced straight direct injection system rather than the D4S direct and port fuel injection technology from Toyota. According to reports from Automotive News, the new 2.0 liter engine could stand to make as much as 280-hp and 250 lb.-ft. of torque.

While its certainly based on the BRZ engine, Subaru denies the new turbocharged variant will be found in any future BRZ. Subaru spokesman Dominick Infante said bluntly, "We have no plans to offer a turbocharged BRZ."

While it would certainly be exciting to see a more powerful model of the wildly popular front-engine rear-wheel-drive sports car, we kind of agree with Subaru's decision given the price hike the performance upgrade entails.

Other models in the Subaru lineup that may possibly benefit the new turbocharged 2.0 liter engine include a next-generation Subaru Impreza WRX, which will debut at the upcoming Tokyo Motor Show. "

http://www.imotortimes.com/articles/2181/20121022/subaru-brz-turbo-engine-sti-wrx-gt86.htm

And AWD is physically impossible due to the placement of the engine.

PHeller
PHeller UltraDork
10/26/12 8:51 a.m.

Subaru would do much better to find ways of lowering the price, and allowing the aftermarket to build hotrods. TRD will do its testing and with enough cars on the road eventually it'll be covered under warranty.

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
10/26/12 9:33 a.m.
PHeller wrote: Subaru would do much better to find ways of lowering the price, and allowing the aftermarket to build hotrods. TRD will do its testing and with enough cars on the road eventually it'll be covered under warranty.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that they should have sold the car at a higher price point; the true potential of the car could have been implemented during the design phase and delivered for around the 30k mark.

The truth is that people who fall on either side of the mean price point for this car are going to complain. If the car hadsold for 20k, people would complain that it was 5k overpriced much the same as now. Ironic, and perhaps rightfully so, but those with little or no money to spend tend to be the most critical of what they do buy. Who needs the hassle? Move upscale where money serves the primary purpose of recreation.

As to the rumour of forced induction...Who on this board ever really believed that it was NOT going to become available? Did every single tuner get wiped off the face of the earth the day this car was announced? Did Subaru fire all the turbo engineers? Lock its branding managers in a cave? Like anyone is going to contain THAT crowd!

Personally, I don't think that more power is going to fix what ails this platform. Change it yes, but its core flaws (not many and subtle) are still going to be part of the DNA.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/26/12 11:08 a.m.
docwyte wrote: Gotta be the least surprising article out there. Kinda feel sorry for the people who didn't wait for it...

Careful, that could be a double edged sword. I waited for the turbo RX-8 that I was positive Mazda would make "soon" (had wife approval and everything) and alas, it never happened

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zxs2rliWdGrnlhTsxPEzFJJsvA6ntuahyQ4VFnt5ih2WWIwtjsHwLDmwOpSmuaWv