1 2 3
noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/17/18 9:35 a.m.
B13Birk said:

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

LOVE this idea. But having a greater than 50% reliability probability is key. 

Dang that car looks sooo mean squatting like that... Tempting for sure. 

You can always turn down the boost...   

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
5/17/18 9:59 a.m.

I vote something v8 and Japanese. Add nitrous. Done. The q45 is a great choice as it was running mid 14s with autocross tires. Add slicks and a bottle should get you a pretty quick car that isn't likely to explode immediately. Probably. If you don't mind opening up a motor (no swaps), anything with a 1uz would be great for a 200 shot. You would need to open the ring gaps for that.

stylngle2003
stylngle2003 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/17/18 10:24 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Sorry Frenchy, I was responding to the Volvo 700 series part of ebony and ivory's question.  it's just a dana 30 in those.

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/17/18 10:28 a.m.

Mopar Action - 1998

What do you get when you rent an automatic SOHC Neon and literally seat-belt a nitrous bottle in the back seat?  How's low 13's sound?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/17/18 10:45 a.m.
B13Birk said:

For proof. 

This thread has inspired me, and then failed me.  

The inspiration caused me to think forward to Summit Catalogs soon Super Summit Customer Appreciation Day where they open up Norwalk Dragway (Formally Summit Motorsports Park) for 2 days in June and offer free drag racing.  This is typically an event where if you arrive early, you can do genuine hot-laps of drag racing.  Go once and then line right up and go again with no waiting.  Sounds like a great place for a 6.0L Chevy Truck!!!  

Closet U-haul location is 5 miles from the track.  Rental is $19.99 and $0.69 per mile.  At 5 miles that would cost $3.45 additional to get it to the track.  I figure that each 1/4 pass also has a 1/4 cool down  = 1/2 mile and then the drive back to the start line of 1/2 miles so total of 1 mile per pass, or, 69 cents per pass...CHEAP! 

• $19.99 rental
  • $3.45 to arrive
  • $3.345 to return
  • $13.80 for 20 passes
  • Total: $40.69 so tax and all makes it about $50 for a day of fun.  

However...No Pickups Available at this location on that date. I wonder if that is intentional!  Closest available is Mansfield or 35 miles from track.  So, 35 miles @ 69 cents is $24.15 more each way or a $50-ish upcharge.  No Go.  

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
5/17/18 10:49 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Maybe they’ve already been reserved by others for the event.  devil

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/17/18 10:57 a.m.
eastsideTim said:

In reply to John Welsh :

Maybe they’ve already been reserved by others for the event.  devil

So, if there is one there,  I'll try to slip the renter 69 cents and see if he'll let me take a pass!   

There's an industry: $5 per pass and you could have a money maker!   The first 10 passes at $5 would be your break-even and then everything after is a $4.31 profit.  

What if there were 5 or more of them there and there was an entire Spec-Class?  

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
5/17/18 11:32 a.m.
stylngle2003 said:

In reply to frenchyd :

Sorry Frenchy, I was responding to the Volvo 700 series part of ebony and ivory's question.  it's just a dana 30 in those.

Easy to get confused when discussions are wide ranging, which I think is a good thing. Different perspectives and choices is part of what makes this site interesting. 

Stampie
Stampie UltraDork
5/17/18 12:55 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Tow it to the track on a trailer and not only does your cost go down but it doesn't matter how far the rental place is. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/17/18 1:37 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to John Welsh :

Tow it to the track on a trailer and not only does your cost go down but it doesn't matter how far the rental place is. 

I don't have a trailer but could rent one from Uhaul.  

Imagine, I show up with my '06 Ford Super Duty 5.4L and rent a Uhaul trailer to tow a Uhaul pickup.  Sadly, the trailer rental is $50-ish per day which is about the same dollars spent to just drive the Uhaul truck the extra miles.   

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/17/18 1:59 p.m.

How cheap are Caprice wagons these days? Wouldn’t even need wheelie bars ... just bolt some casters to the rear overhang.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker PowerDork
5/17/18 2:40 p.m.

In reply to LanEvo :

Eight hundred bucks

Justjim75
Justjim75 Reader
5/17/18 4:17 p.m.

In reply to ebonyandivory :

2.3 redblock + 16v NA head + turbo from Volvo big rig + NOS + Megasquirt self tuned by owner/builder/buddy/MS guru gets him in the 9s i a full weight 740 sedan

https://youtu.be/vfKqPfEJfMM

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/17/18 4:34 p.m.
Furious_E said:

In reply to No Time :

"Yea, I race for Team Penske"

Or... since he said he wanted a budget racer...

See the source image

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
5/20/18 8:38 a.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to Patrick : there are modest cost ways to install and plumb everything.  If you’re a check writer rather than a mechanic nothing is cheap but the tuning on most cars is the hard part, not the cost of the install.  

With nitrous you’ve got an extremely short time before the bottle needs a refill.  It’s worthless in a roadrace. You can’t carry enough to last the race.

Drag racing?  OK but how many passes before another bottle is called for?  And what is the cost of those bottles and refills.  

In any case a turbo is long term fun NOS is flash in the pan fun

One of the requirements OP gave was not a lot of Fab work. Nitrous does not require a lot of Fab work. 

I'm a turbo guy too. You can fill a lot of nitrous bottles for the additional cost of a turbo system.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/20/18 9:12 a.m.

Personally I like the idea of a ‘70’s Monza, Starfire, etc.  the Monzas actual came with V8s albeit smogged ones.  They are not heavy.  It’s almost a factory V8 Vega.  I had one with a (supposedly) 305.  It seemed very quick for the time (mid ‘80’s).

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
5/20/18 6:29 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

surprise

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/20/18 11:57 p.m.
edizzle89 said:
frenchyd said:

In reply to TheV8Kid :

Out of couriosity why spray when you can blow?  A pair of Chinese turbo’s with wastegates skill set you back less than $300.  The power is always there when you lean on them and you never have to refill a NOS tank? 

that's why i've never been a fan of nitrous. If you plan on doing something with an LS check out the Sloppy Mechanic wiki page for some great, low budget turbo info

My favorite episode on Sloppy Mechanic’s channel is when one of Slop’s customers or friends takes that dog ugly 4 door ‘81 Fairmont to the track.  Stock hubcaps.  It looks like the car your grandma used to drive to church before parking it under a tree for 7 years.  The tower calls him upstairs over the PA system.  “That your Fairmont?  Look.  I’m not going to tell you again.  You can’t run them kind of times without a full cage and a fire suit.”  

FIYAPOWA
FIYAPOWA Reader
5/21/18 9:20 a.m.

Sloppy Mechanics has a $2000 build on a raggedy G-body Malibu with a junkyard LS/Churbo combo (and a Crown Vic rear axle swap) that went 10s.  If you want the easy button, just get something LS/4L80 and turbo it.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
5/21/18 10:55 p.m.

GMT800 Yukon Denali with CXRacing turbo bits AND a 100 shot. Gut it, bolt on DRs and either get kicked out for not having a cage or keep running until you nuke the AWD transfer case. Think of it as an XL-sized GMC Typhoon.

Opti
Opti HalfDork
5/22/18 7:04 a.m.

Lt1 Camaro. 150 hit.

Want to go faster, cc306, 3600 stall, 3.73s, headers, DRs. Probably run 10s

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Feq4MgSl5NNvVMtmwdEpSyYFwQDu7sfkBGKLzf808cOpA2bsbLGw6JFDcM4aYHGa