Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/21/15 1:24 p.m.

Let's say... under a grand for two seats and two mounting solutions.

Needs:
1) Bucket with sub slot
2) Sliders of some sort. SWMBO will drive the car as well and sits a couple inches closer than myself
3) Around stock height or lower

Looking at Sparco Sprint and Momo Start, would prefer Sprints because they're cheaper and well... i like the way they look better. I will obviously sit in anything i decide on before i buy.

Anything i'm missing in the $300-$350/seat range?

What mounting/slider solution do we like?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/15 1:37 p.m.

I like the Sparco sliders and Planted brackets, but they cost money. You may want to do some fabrication.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
1/21/15 1:40 p.m.

Kirkeys?

Getting in/out of race seats in a Miata is really really annoying for Street/DD use though.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/21/15 1:47 p.m.

I have the fake bride seat. It comes with side brackets and universal sliders, you can mount them directly on the stock Miata sliders and they are around stock height (I think, I only had them like that for a bit then mounted them solid to the floor to get a bit lower).

Looking for a link now.

kylini
kylini Reader
1/21/15 1:53 p.m.

I have a pair of Sparco Evo II Plus with expired FIA certs and new GarageStar side-mount brackets for under a grand. I'm not sure if your definition of slider allows for a tool requirement.

I need an aluminum seat.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
1/21/15 1:58 p.m.

I believe Corbeau FX1 Pros are in the $300-$320 range without sliders. Miata sliders can be had for them. They're about the widest that easily fit in an NA.

Keith Tanner
1/21/15 2:03 p.m.

"Easily" is not how I'd characterize how they fit. Interference with the door panels. The Sparcos are roomier.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/15 2:06 p.m.

If I ever do non-stock seats in a Miata again (and I might) I'm going straight to aluminum.

Yavuz
Yavuz Reader
1/21/15 2:10 p.m.

Here is what I have in mine. Older Momo's with sliders. They sit a bit lower than stock and fit in the car without any clearance issues. They comfortably fit a size 34 waist and you may be able to squeeze in someone slightly bigger. I've sat in these for a three hour trip and they are actually surprisingly comfortable too. I was sold on buying Sparco sprints until I sat in one and just couldn't get comfortable.

Also - How close are you to Massachusetts? I've tossed around the idea of selling both the seats and the roll bar to fund a hardtop purchase.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor New Reader
1/21/15 2:12 p.m.

Not to hijack, but I'm in Mass and might be interested if Swank isn't. Depends how low they go and if I fit in them.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/21/15 2:21 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: I like the Sparco sliders and Planted brackets, but they cost money. You may want to do some fabrication.

I don't have fabrication skills, else i would maybe consider it.

Looks like the Planted brackets/Sparco sliders combo is around $450 for both sides, sound about right?

Looks like Garage Star stuff brand new would be around $460.

PCI V1 would be the cheapest at $340, but a pain to quickly adjust.

PCI V2 would be around $420.

Anything else i'm missing?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/21/15 2:26 p.m.
EvanB wrote: I have the fake bride seat. It comes with side brackets and universal sliders, you can mount them directly on the stock Miata sliders and they are around stock height (I think, I only had them like that for a bit then mounted them solid to the floor to get a bit lower). Looking for a link now.

So i guess that could be an option, too? Something like... Planted universal side brackets and bolt them to stock sliders, bolt side-mount seat to Planted brackets? Can't possibly be higher than stock doing it that way, right?

MattGent
MattGent Reader
1/21/15 2:30 p.m.

Do you need sliders for the passenger seat? Could be cheaper to just make it fixed. And lower.

I'd like to do seats and harnesses for my NB, but I have a ~34 inch waist and my co-driver dad is....larger. I've seen tall men in race seats in a Miata but not wide ones.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/21/15 2:32 p.m.
MattGent wrote: Do you need sliders for the passenger seat? Could be cheaper to just make it fixed. And lower. I'd like to do seats and harnesses for my NB, but I have a ~34 inch waist and my co-driver dad is....larger. I've seen tall men in race seats in a Miata but not wide ones.

That's a good point. I don't need sliders for the passenger. I could just do a PCI V1 for the passenger and not mess with it. One PCI V1 and one PCI V2 would be a little under $400 landed with some shopping. Still salty, but if that's what it costs, that's what it costs.

Actually.... Two Planted brackets and one Sparco slider is cheaper. $355 + shipping. That's not awful.

Keith, just to be sure, this is what you run?

Sparco slider: http://www.amazon.com/Sparco-Slider-Seat-Track-Set/dp/B000G0V21U

Planted passenger side: http://www.amazon.com/Planted-SB109PA-Mazda-Passenger-Bracket/dp/B0085XVRNI/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1421872772&sr=1-1&keywords=planted+sb109pa

Planted driver side: http://www.amazon.com/Planted-SB109DR-Mazda-Driver-Bracket/dp/B0085XVIQ4/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1421872823&sr=1-1&keywords=planted+sb109dr

Worth mentioning that i'll have some Corbeau A4s with Corbeau mounts/sliders in great shape to sell to offset cost i guess.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/21/15 2:39 p.m.

Garage Star brackets (if they're the ones I'm thinking of) aren't sliders either. However if I accidentally (cough) should buy another Miata those are exactly what I'd buy. Ken is very helpful and stands behind his products, plus I really liked the fit & finish.

Another option for sliders would be to find used Bride rails and top them with fake Bride seats. I did that for well under a grand a few years back.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/21/15 2:50 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: Garage Star brackets (if they're the ones I'm thinking of) aren't sliders either. However if I accidentally (cough) should buy another Miata those are exactly what I'd buy. Ken is very helpful and stands behind his products, plus I really liked the fit & finish. Another option for sliders would be to find used Bride rails and top them with fake Bride seats. I did that for well under a grand a few years back.

They aren't sliders, but from what i read, they're relatively easy to adjust, right? Ken makes a hell of a product and yes, he's a super nice guy.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
1/21/15 3:00 p.m.

I've got a set of real bride vios IIIs I got for like 650 and the two lowmax brackets. Actually only driver side is installed right now tho. I thought about selling them but then moved back to Cali where I can actually race the car

Keith Tanner
1/21/15 3:11 p.m.

Sparco sliders and planted brackets are what we've been putting in cars for customers, we've been happy with them. My own car runs something unusual, not applicable here. BTW, we can supply Sparco and Planted if asked.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/21/15 3:13 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
BoxheadTim wrote: Garage Star brackets (if they're the ones I'm thinking of) aren't sliders either. However if I accidentally (cough) should buy another Miata those are exactly what I'd buy. Ken is very helpful and stands behind his products, plus I really liked the fit & finish. Another option for sliders would be to find used Bride rails and top them with fake Bride seats. I did that for well under a grand a few years back.
They aren't sliders, but from what i read, they're relatively easy to adjust, right? Ken makes a hell of a product and yes, he's a super nice guy.

They're pretty easy to adjust, but you'll still need tools. I really like the "gate" over one of the bolts on each side - basically, you loosen all four bolts, unhook the gates, push the seat around, close the gates and tighten all the bolts. Unless you messed up the mounting or counted the notches wrong, the seat will still sit square afterwards.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
1/21/15 3:21 p.m.
MattGent wrote: I'd like to do seats and harnesses for my NB, but I have a ~34 inch waist and my co-driver dad is....larger. I've seen tall men in race seats in a Miata but not wide ones.

The Manic Miata has Momos in it now, of undetermined model, but they're nothing too fancy. I have a 44" waist and I can fit comfortably enough. Though a little wider would be better, I'm OK for an hour's drive and a day of autocross.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/21/15 3:57 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Sparco sliders and planted brackets are what we've been putting in cars for customers, we've been happy with them. My own car runs something unusual, not applicable here. BTW, we can supply Sparco and Planted if asked.

Thanks, Keith.

Have you guys ever used the Sparco brackets?

Part # 600SB109L/R

Keith Tanner
1/21/15 4:33 p.m.

I'm not sure. Not for some time.

peteyjoe
peteyjoe None
1/21/15 5:43 p.m.

New here, but I just wanted to chime in and say I've been very pleased with the fit and finish of my PCI one piece mounts. I have sprint 5s in the car and the PCI fixed mounts for both. I know you mentioned the possibility of going fixed on the passenger side, and if you do the PCI/Sprint 5 combo will be a very easy, no fuss install. Also the seats have held up very well over the past 3 years, even under quasi DD use (which I wouldn't recommend).

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/21/15 6:06 p.m.

You don't find the Sprints comfortable? While i'm not planning on any cross country trips in this car, the 6 hour trip to Deal's Gap would happen a couple times a year, and maybe 3-4 hours up to gingerman.

peteyjoe
peteyjoe New Reader
1/21/15 6:18 p.m.

Hells no. They do the job very well for a cheap, safe track/autox seat but they aren't very comfortable on long trips. Any drive over 30 min or so and I usually need a good stretch when I arrive. When I'm driving aggressively they feel great, but I can't seem to ever relax in them. I know I'm getting older (32) but I'm in pretty decent shape so I'd like to think it's not just my body whining now that it's getting old. Also, in the summertime when certain lower body parts become stuck to other body parts, there isn't much room to make adjustments. The thing is though, there aren't a lot of options in this price range.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XN7WMjiZDPkIERfJ7RzZLgfOjFKHcXXjAurv4bri5VEfanBEvwhfDafry1wZLUNg