1 2
integraguy
integraguy SuperDork
3/24/12 9:45 a.m.

Just read an online news article about Ford's latest option on it's cars/SUVs sold in Europe....an adjustable speed limiter. Ford has found there is a sizeable customer desire for a driver setable(sp?) speed limiter and is reporting decent sales to new owners of Mondeos, Kugas (very similar in size/design to an Escape), and the S-Max (which we don't get here...YET).

What do folks here think? Instead of a radar detector, would you pay for a button that works somewhat like cruise control...yet (apparently?) doesn't let you override the speed until you re-set it? I mean, in cars that have cruise, if you need a bit more speed, you just press on the gas. With a speed limiter, once you hit the "top" speed, pressing on the gas is pointless...until you turn off the limiter.

z31maniac
z31maniac UberDork
3/24/12 9:47 a.m.

No.

Ranger50
Ranger50 SuperDork
3/24/12 10:01 a.m.

No.

99.9% of new cars = complete crap in some way. This option just compounds the problem.

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
3/24/12 10:02 a.m.

Yes, I can see multiple uses for this.

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
3/24/12 10:25 a.m.

Yep, I would, in about 15 years.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
3/24/12 10:48 a.m.

I could see it in fleet sales, or concerned parents.

Winston
Winston Reader
3/24/12 10:54 a.m.

When my son starts driving in about 8 years, you can bet your sweet ass I would want one of these. I can't think of any time I needed to drive more than 75 MPH (on the street), but I can think of several times that I've stupidly done so.

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture HalfDork
3/24/12 10:55 a.m.

Nope. We should pay more attention to your speed/driving, not less. Another nanny ontop of a pile of them that reduces general awareness and increases accidents.

So whats the over/under on how long before this is federally mandated?

rallymech
rallymech New Reader
3/24/12 10:59 a.m.

Every car built has an adjustable speed limiter. It is called the throttle.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/24/12 11:25 a.m.

Another gimmick. I don't like the part about not being able to over ride it. That reduces car control and that is not good.

My Garmin has the ability to tell me the speed limit on the road I am driving on. It knows the speed limit on the roads and the display of my actual speed goes red if I am over the posted limit. I have become very dependant on this to know what the posted speed limit is. To the point that I was driving with out it the other day and it really bothered me. It really does keep me aware of my speed and it has reduced my "accidental" speeding substantially. What it is great for are those places where it goes from 45 to 30 or even 25 and then back to 45 for no apparent reason in less than an 1/8th of a mile? I wish it had an audible beep / alarm that would sound 1 or 2x when you go over the limit.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
3/24/12 11:28 a.m.

The only use i can see for this is for lending your car out, or for young drivers.

So im basically against it. The only upside for me would be that if all the cars i own had adjustable limiters right now, it would be EASIER to get several of them past 120.

One time i had a car with a 105 limiter that drove me crazy. I had another version of the same car with a rare no-limiter pcm and hit 130+. If they had come with adjustable limiters i would have set them both to over 9000. But i'd be just as happy if they didnt have any limiter at all.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/24/12 11:42 a.m.

I drove an old U-Hall truck with a limiter set at 55. Drove me nuts.

FlightService
FlightService SuperDork
3/24/12 11:44 a.m.
integraguy wrote: Just read an online news article about Ford's latest option on it's cars/SUVs sold in Europe....an adjustable speed limiter. Ford has found there is a sizeable customer desire for a driver setable(sp?) speed limiter and is reporting decent sales to new owners of Mondeos, Kugas (very similar in size/design to an Escape), and the S-Max (which we don't get here...YET). What do folks here think? Instead of a radar detector, would you pay for a button that works somewhat like cruise control...yet (apparently?) doesn't let you override the speed until you re-set it? I mean, in cars that have cruise, if you need a bit more speed, you just press on the gas. With a speed limiter, once you hit the "top" speed, pressing on the gas is pointless...until you turn off the limiter.

Doesn't BMW have this on the 5 and 7? I remember setting an alert then is limited itself. I think it would be a great option for a car I would by my kid. As long as it was locakable (never mind my kids would defeat that too)

Will
Will Dork
3/24/12 12:08 p.m.

My brain talks to my right foot. That's my speed limiter.

JtspellS
JtspellS Reader
3/24/12 1:13 p.m.

I know the 2000+ Saab 9-5's had the option to set a speed alarm but anything beyond that hell no.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy SuperDork
3/24/12 2:01 p.m.

I'm pretty sure we had a Buick in the 60's that had a buzzer hooked up to an adjustable needle on the speedo. I would accept a noise as I was trying to finish an ill advised pass on a semi trailer on a narrow road...

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam SuperDork
3/24/12 3:06 p.m.

I once drove a Saab 9-3 that didn't have a speed limiter, only a really annoying alarm that went off whenever I exceeded 60 mph. Took me 5 minutes and nearly 4 crashes to find it buried in the menu of the stupid radio/navigation interface. Really safe.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/24/12 3:22 p.m.

I would take a warning... but unless I had kids that were driving, I would not want it.

All of my speeding tickets have been for speeds under 50mph.. usually 40 in a 25 because the limit dropped and I was not paying enough attention

fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
3/24/12 3:32 p.m.

I thought grey hair Buicks already had them

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/24/12 4:40 p.m.

i don't know about you guys but i've been in situations where i've had to put my foot down to get to a safe spot on the road. like when a semi decides to put his signal on and start changing lanes into you when you are right next to the cab.

failboat
failboat Dork
3/24/12 5:14 p.m.

I think the option on Ford is linked to part of the MyKey settings. So yea you could give your kid a set of keys, and set a max speed limit, and only on his set of keys.. MyKey also logs how many miles are driven on a set of keys. You have to enable MyKey to do all this, bit the option is there.

We have it on my wifes car, but its not set up. I kind of want to, if only to see what the options are.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/24/12 5:33 p.m.

I can see why people especially in the UK would buy something like this. In the UK, you have speed camera systems that measure your average speed over long distances (like roadworks that are 5-10 miles long). Radar detectors - which for the most part aren't legal in large parts of Europe anyway - don't help in that type of situation. Heck, in France it's illegal to have known speed camera locations on your GPS.

In contrast to the US where you pretty much only have the local police forces or highway patrol enforcing the speed limits, a lot of this is automated in Europe via cameras. Especially in the UK, the government seemed to like cameras because they removed human judgement (plus they work 24/7).

However I probably wouldn't be buying a car with a settable limiter.

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
3/24/12 10:52 p.m.

Yes. Yes, I would. I'd set it to this: Then I could time travel, create unknown elements, you know, cool E36 M3.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
3/24/12 11:58 p.m.

I'd really like a warning when I'm approaching a speed limit change. Not all speed limit decreases are logical, and not all are clearly posted. Knowing that the limit drops by 20MPH in a quarter mile would be nice.

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
3/25/12 2:45 a.m.

i think of 2 words when i read about stuff like this..

feature creep.

it's an option now, and people will get used to it.. then eventually it becomes standard equipment.. then eventually it becomes non adjustable and no one will ever be able to speed and we will all be immortal.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1GiuDl93reqrzuIQrwQooWsS2oux9CaviI4OVHZ4qbMCr9zXr77u7TZx0KiJK3fz