1 2 3 ... 5
lnlogauge
lnlogauge Reader
4/9/15 12:03 p.m.

Things that would never happen on this site...

Mechanic posts tundra owners stupidity of exhaust dumping across fuel lines. Tunda forum recognizes car, goes on a witch hunt to successfully get mechanic fired...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Justrolledintotheshop/comments/31x3ot/a_slap_in_the_face/

tundra site brags about how much he deserved it.

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/off-topic-discussion/444346-just-saw-another-site-4.html

Punch, get someone's job. They are gonna be so toast if they have a mechanic song referring to it as black slang that was taught to them by their bosses. They are not ASE certified. They are A$$ certified. Make em even more jealous - roll in there with you GF in bikini.

I hate people.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/9/15 12:20 p.m.

A couple of thoughts on this:

While I love r/justrolledintotheshop and have posted a few things there myself, it is kinda unprofessional for the tech to be posting pics of customer vehicles online without their knowledge. A fireable offense? I don't know, I probably wouldn't, but if I were that guy's boss, I'd at least be having a talk with him.

Oh, Lord, the idiots on that Tundra forum.... Seems like the median age there is about 12. They are just reinforcing the whole "brodozer" stereotype.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
4/9/15 12:27 p.m.

Yet the guy who has his exhaust blowing on his fuel lines (owner or mechanic) escapes unscathed?

wrongtarget

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/9/15 12:29 p.m.

Too bad he couldn't leave the d-bag's truck the way he found it...

If they want to crowdfund getting this guy back to his honeymoon, I'd throw in a couple bucks.

Edit: Also this guy's boss is a massive dick at best - there's nothing wrong with anonymously/pseudonymously posting pics of a customer's truck's underside on a website.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/9/15 12:31 p.m.

There are two sides to everything. Should he have been fired? No, not unless he has done it before and warned about it or there is a policy in place at his work place. There is also a level of privacy with respect to ones clients and the people that the service industry serves. If I blabbed about all the things I see when in clients places of business or in some cases privet residence's I would be in a lot of trouble. There is an expected level of privacy in business. Hell there may even be consumer protection laws about this kind of thing.

I would not be pleased if I took my car to a shop and my handy work (good or bad) became the poster child for "look at what this idiot did". There is a case for the persons car that was put up on the web to take the owners of the shop to court for liable.

It is a classic case of THINK before you blab about something. The internet is not the faceless repository it use to be. There should be consequences for calling some one an idiot with out them being able to defend them self's. In this case someone got what they really deserved.

The tech deserves what he got and the rest of the industry should take notice and remember that they have a responsibility of privacy to the consumer. Good for the web site for calling the tech out.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/9/15 12:35 p.m.

Bad choices by everyone all around. The bottom line is that people have a right to be stupid and put their life and truck at risk and not be chastised for it.

lnlogauge
lnlogauge Reader
4/9/15 12:36 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: The tech deserves what he got and the rest of the industry should take notice and remember that they have a responsibility of privacy to the consumer. Good for the web site for calling the tech out.

I wholeheartedly disagree with that statement. He made a mistake. Should he be reprimanded? probably. Should he lose his job because someone got their feels heart? There is no way you can convince me of that. Jobs are way too important, and way too big of a deal. If he gets back on his feet and finds a job where his employer values him more, than great. Its not worth the stress that dude has to go through being unemployed.

dean1484
4/9/15 12:37 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Edit: Also this guy's boss is a massive dick at best - there's nothing wrong with anonymously/pseudonymously posting pics of a customer's truck's underside on a website.

Completely disagree with you on this one. It is like me posting photos of some of my more prominent clients bedrooms or bathrooms and posting them on line "anonymously". You just don't have the right to do it someone can and will figure it out. The days of being anonymous on line are over.

The tech was an idiot and he got what he deserved.

GameboyRMH
4/9/15 12:37 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: It is a classic case of THINK before you blab about something. The internet is not the faceless repository it use to be. There should be consequences for calling some one an idiot with out them being able to defend them self's. In this case someone got what they really deserved. The tech deserves what he got and the rest of the industry should take notice and remember that they have a responsibility of privacy to the consumer. Good for the web site for calling the tech out.

Well if there are no identifying marks on the truck...it's up to the owner of the truck to out himself as the victim. How is he harming the owner of the truck by posting pics of the fuel lines and exhaust underneath?

dean1484
4/9/15 12:39 p.m.
lnlogauge wrote:
dean1484 wrote: The tech deserves what he got and the rest of the industry should take notice and remember that they have a responsibility of privacy to the consumer. Good for the web site for calling the tech out.
I wholeheartedly disagree with that statement. He made a mistake. Should he be reprimanded? probably. Should he lose his job because someone got their feels heart? There is no way you can convince me of that. Jobs are way too important, and way too big of a deal. If he gets back on his feet and finds a job where his employer values him more, than great. Its not worth the stress that dude has to go through being unemployed.

If one of my employees did the same he would be fired. I would have to. It would cause HUGE damage to my company's reputation and very likely cost the jobs of the other emploies I have. If you value your job that much you would not do it.

GameboyRMH
4/9/15 12:40 p.m.
dean1484 wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote: Edit: Also this guy's boss is a massive dick at best - there's nothing wrong with anonymously/pseudonymously posting pics of a customer's truck's underside on a website.
Completely disagree with you on this one. It is like me posting photos of some of my more prominent clients bedrooms or bathrooms and posting them on line "anonymously". You just don't have the right to do it someone can and will figure it out. The days of being anonymous on line are over.

There's a lot more identifying detail in an entire bedroom than one part of the underside of a mass-production truck, so your analogy doesn't work, try again. This guy only figured it out because he probably saw his own truck being made fun of himself. He could've said nothing, learned why what he did was dumb, and not outed himself as a deathtrap-builder.

dean1484
4/9/15 12:40 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
dean1484 wrote: It is a classic case of THINK before you blab about something. The internet is not the faceless repository it use to be. There should be consequences for calling some one an idiot with out them being able to defend them self's. In this case someone got what they really deserved. The tech deserves what he got and the rest of the industry should take notice and remember that they have a responsibility of privacy to the consumer. Good for the web site for calling the tech out.
Well if there are no identifying marks on the truck...it's up to the owner of the truck to out himself as the victim. How is he harming the owner of the truck by posting pics of the fuel lines and exhaust underneath?

I agree this is vague but what ever was posted was enough for the owner to be identified as well as the shop and the tech that did it.

Tom_Spangler
4/9/15 12:41 p.m.

I agree that the tech shouldn't have done it and deserves some kind of punishment, but I hesitate to give too much credit to the authors of these gems:

Punch should post on that site something along the lines "Hey Jeff Kirk, you gotta a big fukin mouth and it's about time someone shuts it...I'll see you soon when I come in to speak to your GM". It'd at least scare the chit outta him. Or we can send PL 4x4 down there to open a can of whoop ass on him!!
An apology isn't enough. You should buffuk his wife while he watches and your wife throws pennies at him while telling him what a worthless sack of E36 M3e he is.
I'm pretty sure the dude is a fag.. so technically punch would be buffuking his boyfriend...
They are not ASE certified. They are A$$ certified. Make em even more jealous - roll in there with you GF in bikini.

Charming......

dean1484
4/9/15 12:45 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
dean1484 wrote:
There's a lot more identifying detail in an entire bedroom than one part of the underside of a mass-production truck, so your analogy doesn't work, try again. This guy only figured it out because he probably saw his own truck being made fun of himself. He could've said nothing, learned why what he did was dumb, and not outed himself as a deathtrap-builder.

Potato patato.. . . A bedroom with lets say questionable things in it and the underside of a truck with lets say questionable thing on it are close enough. Lets not get into semantics here. I was trying to make a point. Argue the reason why it is ok to publicly humiliate some one not my poor analogy.

dean1484
4/9/15 12:47 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote:
I agree that the tech shouldn't have done it and deserves some kind of punishment, but I hesitate to give too much credit to the authors of these gems:
Punch should post on that site something along the lines "Hey Jeff Kirk, you gotta a big fukin mouth and it's about time someone shuts it...I'll see you soon when I come in to speak to your GM". It'd at least scare the chit outta him. Or we can send PL 4x4 down there to open a can of whoop ass on him!!
An apology isn't enough. You should buffuk his wife while he watches and your wife throws pennies at him while telling him what a worthless sack of E36 M3e he is.
I'm pretty sure the dude is a fag.. so technically punch would be buffuking his boyfriend...
They are not ASE certified. They are A$$ certified. Make em even more jealous - roll in there with you GF in bikini.
Charming......

+1

GameboyRMH
4/9/15 12:49 p.m.

It is OK to publicly humiliate someone if it's practically impossible for anyone else to find out who that someone being publicly humiliated is, because the humiliation can't be directed at the secretly humiliated party unless they find out themselves and choose to come forward.

See also: Any TV show about hidden cameras or cops and how they blur faces/alter voices.

Tom_Spangler
4/9/15 12:49 p.m.

Here's my problem with the "privacy" argument. It's a vehicle. It's driven on public roads where anyone can see it. Granted, it's not easy to see the underside, but it's not impossible, either, especially given that it's jacked up so high. It's not the same thing as, say, a room on the inside of someone's house or place of business, which the general public can't see unless they are invited in.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/9/15 12:52 p.m.

Obviously, none of us knows diddly-squat, because the posts are gone.

The devil is 100% in the details.

If the tech posted pictures that were generic, and the tone of the post was that of a PSA, (ie: "Please be cautious in how you install things- this could have been a disaster!") then he was 100% correct, and the GM should be fired for his blatant disregard for safety and proper installation techniques. Firing the tech was irresponsible, and puts people at risk, and compromises the company's reputation.

HOWEVER...

If the tone of the tech's posts were more like "Look what this d!cktard did!", with identifiable pictures, then he failed to act professionally, compromised the shop and it's reputation, and got what he deserved.

But NONE of us knows.

It is sad (and dangerous) that the basic perspective is, "The internet is not private, so don't say anything". That is terribly irresponsible.

dean1484
4/9/15 12:55 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: Here's my problem with the "privacy" argument. It's a vehicle. It's driven on public roads where anyone can see it. Granted, it's not easy to see the underside, but it's not impossible, either, especially given that it's jacked up so high. It's not the same thing as, say, a room on the inside of someone's house or place of business, which the general public can't see unless they are invited in.

I agree BUT there the line has to be drawn some place and if you open that door (even just a little) the damage that could be done legally is not acceptable. Tough place to draw a line. The other thing we don't know is was the shop looking for a reason to fire this guy? We are only hearing from him. For all we know he could be a complete nightmare of an employee. We just don't know all the circumstances.

GameboyRMH
4/9/15 12:59 p.m.

Oh holy E36 M3, the truck owner claims to be an aircraft mechanic for the USAF

Edit: And here are cached pics of the guy's murdered-out mall crawler:

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:lZ-JxNsiQ5kJ:www.pirate4x4.com/forum/vehicles-trailers-sale/2036898-2012-toyota-tundra-crewmax-platinum-22-000-invested-parts-22k-miles.html+&cd=1&hl=nl&ct=clnk&gl=nl

Now that truck advertises some very private things about its owner to all who see it...

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/9/15 1:02 p.m.

so i shouldn't post pics of the rack of toys and sex swing that are in an ex-athlete customer's basement?

seriously though, i've come across some crazy stuff in people's homes, that they leave laying in plain sight while i'm supposed to be in that room working, and i keep my mouth shut. i do, however, enjoy posting pics of random deathtrap vehicles i see out and about.

lnlogauge
lnlogauge Reader
4/9/15 1:06 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Oh holy E36 M3, the truck owner claims to be an aircraft mechanic for the USAF

That makes sense actually.

Dean1484 wrote: If one of my employees did the same he would be fired. I would have to. It would cause HUGE damage to my company's reputation and very likely cost the jobs of the other emploies I have. If you value your job that much you would not do it.

I agree, the owner probably had to fire him. I give the owner 10% of the blame for not sticking up for him, that's it. The problem I have is the "get even" mentality that his feelings hurt is equal to someone's job. The type of person that can reach that conclusion doesn't deserve air to breathe imo.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
4/9/15 1:07 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: The bottom line is that people have a right to be stupid and put their life and truck at risk and not be chastised for it.

What?? No they don't, I can chastise anyone for anything, including this bullE36 M3 post of yours

kanaric
kanaric Dork
4/9/15 1:08 p.m.
lnlogauge wrote: Things that would never happen on this site... Mechanic posts tundra owners stupidity of exhaust dumping across fuel lines. Tunda forum recognizes car, goes on a witch hunt to successfully get mechanic fired... https://www.reddit.com/r/Justrolledintotheshop/comments/31x3ot/a_slap_in_the_face/ tundra site brags about how much he deserved it. http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/off-topic-discussion/444346-just-saw-another-site-4.html
Punch, get someone's job. They are gonna be so toast if they have a mechanic song referring to it as black slang that was taught to them by their bosses. They are not ASE certified. They are A$$ certified. Make em even more jealous - roll in there with you GF in bikini.
I hate people.

It's a truck people site. Every time I visit one it reenforced my opinion of truck bros.

I know the owner of the truck doesn't work a thinking man's job in the air force. And if he does he's probably the most useless meat puppet in his shop.

dean1484
4/9/15 1:11 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: It is OK to publicly humiliate someone if it's practically impossible for anyone else to find out who that someone being publicly humiliated is, because the humiliation can't be directed at the secretly humiliated party unless they find out themselves and choose to come forward. See also: Any TV show about hidden cameras or cops and how they blur faces/alter voices.

Yes but obviously the poster of the photos did not do this very well as he was found out as was the owner of the truck and the shop where it occurred.

End of story in my book. He screwed up and stepped over the line. Sucks to be him. I really suspect that he was fired due to liability on the part of the shop. A scum bag lawyer could make a mountain out of this and cost the shop owner a nice pile of cash. There is just to much risk on the shop owners part to not fire him. Hell the owner of the truck could quickly spread the word around town and cost that shop owner his reputation and possibly his business. Sounds like it was in a military town and word gets through the ranks quickly and that could cost the business a big chunk of there customer base.

I am a business owner and I tend to look at things from that perspective. I get it. This is not how the vast majority of people probably would look at it. They say "he was just a poor kid" Made just a little mistake. You can keep him on. The reality is no I can not keep an employee on that violates company policy and damages my reputation. In the end it could be my job and the jobs of others that work for me and depend on my ability to protect there jobs. So now what is fair? It is one of the really bad aspects of being the boss / owner of a company. Having had to make these decisions in the past it is probably the one thing that really makes me want to just go work for some one and not have to worry about that stuff.

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UYoRW4hnFqSivPWbbSEgC8fgIBiGXKCbdDa7hQNDcWq1owwkATJWIG4NS5e0QLLc