1 2
Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
3/29/17 1:35 p.m.

So I found a 1995 C4 near me, it's purple, (which I like) black interior, 6 spd manual, lt1. no real good options. ~160K miles

Needs to be repainted. Interior looks good.

what's it worth? He's asking $4k.
If I wanted to drive to ohio I can find one with similar miles but no need of paint for 3.5k...

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
3/29/17 1:50 p.m.

That sounds like a decent price to me.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Reader
3/29/17 1:56 p.m.

Generally speaking old C4 sell for 10 - 20% below asking price. Or even more for the unrealistic sellers . That being said the six-speed is a bonus and probably adds at least $1,000 over a comprable automatic.

I'd be willing to bet if you walked up and counted out 35 Benjamins on the hood it would be yours.

a driving running 6-speed is a bit of a unicorn for 4 grand

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/29/17 2:01 p.m.
Ovid_and_Flem wrote: a driving running C4 is a bit of a unicorn

FTFY

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
3/29/17 3:12 p.m.

Its only worth what someone is willing to pay. Go see it, feel it, and thoroughly check it over. Then make an offer. Id expect 3-3500 to be a reasonable price for a good c4 that needs paint. And the purple will probably lower the actual selling price due to most people not liking it.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy Dork
3/29/17 3:14 p.m.

Offer him 3k. If he refuses, drive to Ohio. Paint job ain't cheap.

I do love me some LT1 ! yum yum

penultimeta
penultimeta Reader
3/29/17 3:32 p.m.

Based on what I've seen, 4K seems about right. Perfect paint, perfect interior would probably place the vette in the 5.5 to 6 range. Honestly, it's the 6 speed that drives this idea. If it was auto, then, yes 3k all day.

c0rbin9
c0rbin9 New Reader
3/29/17 3:36 p.m.

Are these cars reliable?

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Reader
3/29/17 3:37 p.m.
Indy-Guy wrote: Offer him 3k. If he refuses, drive to Ohio. Paint job ain't cheap. I do love me some LT1 ! yum yum

But a DYI wrap is dirt cheap!!!

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
3/29/17 7:34 p.m.

There's this 1991 zr1 with 100k miles for sale for 9k.

wife is not interested in me buying it... :(

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/29/17 8:59 p.m.
c0rbin9 wrote: Are these cars reliable?

Once deferred maintenance is cleared up, yes.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/29/17 8:59 p.m.
Mad_Ratel wrote: There's this 1991 zr1 with 100k miles for sale for 9k. wife is not interested in me buying it... :(

Care to pass along that info to others who should not buy it either?

PerniciousLies
PerniciousLies New Reader
3/29/17 10:25 p.m.

From prices I've seen in the last several months, I'd say $3500 would be a pretty good buy. That is probably my favorite color on a C4 too

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/30/17 6:48 a.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote:
c0rbin9 wrote: Are these cars reliable?
Once deferred maintenance is cleared up, yes.

I'd imagine once sorted from various neglect, the mechanicals would be about as reliable as gravity. If there's one semi-know issue with these it's the digital dash most (all?) have. But apparently there are vendors that repair them for somewhat reasonable cost, so I wouldn't consider this a deal breaker.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
3/30/17 7:48 a.m.

just looked at parts costs and my jaw dropped to the floor, new shocks are 80 bucks for bilsteins. 129 for koni's... (per corner).

brake discs and pads are cheap.

Car has had the alternator, opti and water pump in the last 1000 miles. Interior looks like someone recovered the seats in the last decade too. (and did a good job of it.)

it's an hour plus away and I have literally no time free to get there. damn damn damn.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/30/17 7:53 a.m.

How is the C4 as a track car? Hard on tires? Brakes? Cooling issues?

I would assume it will work for autocross. Anything can work for autocross.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/30/17 8:27 a.m.

There are so many garage queen Corvettes out there that anything needing a paint job should be dirt cheap. It shouldn't be hard to find a good looking "non-runner" that just needs a battery, fresh fluids and new brake rotors to wake it up after not being driven for a few years.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/30/17 8:30 a.m.

In reply to Woody:

The problem is most people think their C4 garage queen is worth about the same as a C5 Z06.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
3/30/17 8:42 a.m.

In reply to Mad_Ratel:

Anything i can do to help? Is it charlotte area?

maj75
maj75 Reader
3/30/17 9:14 a.m.

I bought a '94 C4. Had 65k miles, 6 speed with the Z07 factory Autocross Package. Interior was perfect and everything worked. I track prepped it, new calipers, rotors, wheel bearings, shocks, and all new brake lines (they rust badly). I installed a high rate front spring from VB&P. Car was a competent track car. I had at least $15k in the car. The best offer I got was $6000...

I replaced it with a C5 FRC. It's faster, handles better and isn't saddled with the LT1 dinosaur. Honestly hate that engine. Would rather have an L98. The stupid Optispark is a weak link. The LS1 is lightyears ahead in design. My LS1 dynos at 437/466 hp/tq. It is essentially LS6 spec with headers. Runs all day without temp issues. IMHO there is no reason to buy a C4 for any kind of track work, the C5 isn't that much more expensive when you factor in what it costs to get the C4 to anywhere near the performance of a C5.

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/30/17 9:36 a.m.

Up here in the NYC area, everyone thinks they have a Barret Jackson car. C4's are on the high side. Other than the special pieces, regular maintainance parts are not real expensive. I'd have no problem driving my 85 anywhere. Carfax is a good tool to see where the bulk of ownership was. Area and miles driven can indicate how hard or soft a car was driven. I've found them to be very reliable, for what they are. If you can pick it up +/- $3500, you're doing good.

GTXVette
GTXVette HalfDork
3/30/17 11:38 a.m.
petegossett wrote: In reply to Woody: The problem is most people think their C4 garage queen is worth about the same as a C5 Z06.
   There is a 92 I think here In ball Ground, Nice Yellow Paint, He just did the required maint.stuff Optispark and all, Automatic I was looking it over so asked what he wanted for it.   15 Grand he say's,I almost fell down, So I said he wouldn't get Half that and he needed to look at current price's for them,    He moved it from his yard by the next day. On the other hand I paid 1 thou for my Beat to heck 84 but drove it home. between 3 to 6 will get you some nice car.  there is a beautiful blue LT4 on here that the man Paid 6 I think, and that is what a good deal can buy.
GTXVette
GTXVette HalfDork
3/30/17 11:41 a.m.

Why are my posts showing up in Small letters.? and now this one isn't............

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/30/17 12:20 p.m.

In reply to Dirtydog:

I can believe it. A couple of years ago I passed a 90's C4 and they wanted about $9000 for it. The car didn't look bad, but it was nowhere near pristine. Was a 6 spd, tho. It did finally sell after a couple of months.

In reply to maj75:

I wouldn't look at a C4 something I'd invest a ton of money in. If it needs maintenance and repair, I'd assume it would need that just to drive, period. I'd drive it pretty much stock. If/when I got to the point I felt I could handle a faster car I'd sell it for something faster/better.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
3/30/17 2:43 p.m.

duster, it's in Irmo.

I'm in charlotte this weekend for my sister's birthday, literally working until an hour before her party then driving down...

I'd love a c5 but apples/oranges...

$4k is not $10k (the amount i've seen for most high mileage c5's)...

Plan is to autocross it and do the occasional hpde. drive it for a few years then look at c5's when more cash is free.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vrgKc6OLKioeXZoXAzPpjcjJ65HHR6swbjv3B6yGNiInYQPC1dbyt59g3PE3uhLC