1 2
Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
1/26/11 3:44 p.m.

Depends on the C4. 88-up would be the direction you're looking for. 88-up Z51's got the 13" frt brakes and better rear end. 89-up got the ZF6 6-spd. T-5, T-56, SBC Gen 1, LS swaps.... the door is wide open on what's available. You can build a 400hp torque monster L98, or you can go with a higher revving LS-swap making 600hp.

The chassis isn't as good as the C5/6's, the handling can be improved. But keep in mind that the newest C4 is 15 years old.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam SuperDork
1/26/11 4:00 p.m.

One of the more badass cars ever built. End of discussion.

Especially in black with the gray wheels. And a loud exhaust system.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
1/26/11 10:14 p.m.

Damn it....I was all set on what my next DD was going to be, then this thread comes along.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/27/11 4:49 a.m.
sachilles wrote: out of curiosity what about the c4 cars, they seem to be pretty darn cheap now.

I loved my C4 (92 LIT1, 6 speed, not a Z51) as a track day toy. But, overall, the LT1 isn't a great engine. It's an odd duck in the small block world -- and I wouldn't buy another. The LS motors are SO much better, with far better aftermarket suppor

A C5 brake upgrade is inexpensive, and was the single best improvement I made for track work.

Soma007
Soma007 Reader
1/27/11 10:01 a.m.
ZOO wrote:
sachilles wrote: out of curiosity what about the c4 cars, they seem to be pretty darn cheap now.
I loved my C4 (92 LIT1, 6 speed, not a Z51) as a track day toy. But, overall, the LT1 isn't a great engine. It's an odd duck in the small block world -- and I wouldn't buy another. The LS motors are SO much better, with far better aftermarket suppor A C5 brake upgrade is inexpensive, and was the single best improvement I made for track work.

Sorry but I have to disagree. The LT1 is a great engine, the LS1 just happens to be even better.

My LT1 had 210k miles on it when I sold it, didnt burn a drop of oil, never left me stranded and still ran mid-high 13's.

I will agree that it is the redheaded step child of the SBC V8's though.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/27/11 12:43 p.m.
Soma007 wrote:
ZOO wrote:
But, overall, the LT1 isn't a great engine. It's an odd duck in the small block world -- and I wouldn't buy another. The LS motors are SO much better, with far better aftermarket suppor
Sorry but I have to disagree. The LT1 is a great engine, the LS1 just happens to be even better. My LT1 had 210k miles on it when I sold it, didnt burn a drop of oil, never left me stranded and still ran mid-high 13's. I will agree that it is the redheaded step child of the SBC V8's though.

I think you are confusng "good" with "great". I'd suggestthat an LT1 is a good engine (but perhaps not as desirable as an L98, given the limited aftermarket), but it is not a "great" engine, a la the LS series.

doc_speeder
doc_speeder Reader
1/27/11 7:02 p.m.
Cotton wrote: Damn it....I was all set on what my next DD was going to be, then this thread comes along.

Yeah, me too. That's sort of why I started this thread. I didn't think the positive responses would be quite so dominant. As in 100%...

Ok then, how would a late C5 Z06 compare to an early C6? The C6's all got the 6.0 LS2 correct? Any major refinements, improvements, etc? I do prefer the styling of the C6, but I like them both.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
1/27/11 7:57 p.m.

I'de be happy with plain C5

Brotus7
Brotus7 Reader
1/27/11 8:48 p.m.

I've heard a limitation on C4's are the wheel bearings. How well did you're wheel bearings fair with the track abuse?

I'd love a C5 Z06, but I think they may be faster than I need or can handle.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/28/11 4:38 a.m.
Brotus7 wrote: I've heard a limitation on C4's are the wheel bearings. How well did you're wheel bearings fair with the track abuse? I'd love a C5 Z06, but I think they may be faster than I need or can handle.

Mine had been extensively tracked before I purchased it -- so it was in good shape all around. I didn't have any issues in approximately 1000 track miles, but that's not a huge amount to report on.

ECUs for the C4 LT1s are a bit problematic, if I recall correctly. And they are getting difficult to source.

njansenv
njansenv HalfDork
1/28/11 6:00 a.m.

The key with C4 wheelbearings is to get OEM bearings. I picked up a set of NOS bearings for a reasonable price: the aftermarket bearings don't seem to hold up well to R-compounds.....

gjz30075
gjz30075 Reader
1/28/11 6:13 a.m.
chaparral wrote: drain the clutch and brake fluid reservoirs with a turkey baster and refill every oil change,

Wow, is this really needed? It does seem like good idea though.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
1/28/11 9:33 a.m.

The only C5 negative I can think of may be interior quality. I saw a C5 in a parking lot a few months ago - the driver's seat was literally coming apart - not worn - but actual separation between the center section and the bolster/head rest.

pres589
pres589 HalfDork
1/28/11 10:22 a.m.

In reply to Ian F:

I would imagine that this is one area where a new owner could take his savings on a "value supercar" such as this and re-invest a little into a pair of Recaros or similar seats. Maybe a fresh steering wheel as well, after ~10 years that may be a bit grubby as well.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
1/28/11 10:24 a.m.
Ian F wrote: The only C5 negative I can think of may be interior quality.

Well, the huge size and the crappy over-boosted steering are also negatives but not enough to overcome the whole package. The C6 fixed the size issue somewhat but someone at GM needs to figure out that a sports car should have some steering feel. They should be forced to drive an E30 M3 for a week before even thinking about calibrating the the thing.

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
1/28/11 10:55 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
Well, the huge size and the crappy over-boosted steering are also negatives but not enough to overcome the whole package. The C6 fixed the size issue somewhat but someone at GM needs to figure out that a sports car should have some steering feel. They should be forced to drive an E30 M3 for a week before even thinking about calibrating the the thing.
tuna55 wrote:
jstein77 wrote: The amazing thing is that they're not very heavy at all. At 3100 lbs or so, they're lighter than a WRX or an MS3.
Not very big either. I won't dig, but at least the C6 is smaller than the 911 in everything except width, and that's close.
Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
1/28/11 10:57 a.m.

the same people they set up the steering for are the same kind of people that bitch about the viper not having an automatic option

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/28/11 12:09 p.m.

This thread has not helped my desire for a C5 at all. A while ago, I realized that for motor sports fun besides rallycross, Corvette was the answer since I refuse to have a convertible.

It's a good thing I still can't afford one.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
1/28/11 12:28 p.m.

Even worse... this and the M3-LS thread had me browsing M3's on Ebay... where I found a nice looking E30 for $16K (one accident early in life, but driven a lot since) as well as a semi-high mileage (135K but otherwise stock & clean) E46 for $15K. Not to mention a gaggle of sub-$10K E36's in varying condition.

I avoided the temptation to look at C5 prices...

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/28/11 12:35 p.m.

A Z06 is on my bucket list. I'd gladly take either a C5 or C6 when they're nearing the bottom of their depreciation curve...

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
1/28/11 12:52 p.m.

Saw a black C6 Z06 today at lunchtime with a baby seat in the passenger side.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
1/28/11 6:47 p.m.
jstein77 wrote: Saw a black C6 Z06 today at lunchtime with a baby seat in the passenger side.

Lucky Kid

Luckily for me, they are out of my price range. Sounds like an awesome bit of kit.

pigeon
pigeon Dork
1/28/11 8:30 p.m.

I drive by a used car dealer that specializes in used Corvettes almost every day. For 8 years I've managed to avoid stopping. You guys aren't helping

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/29/11 11:02 a.m.

Um, this?

heyduard
heyduard New Reader
1/29/11 9:28 p.m.
Well, the huge size and the crappy over-boosted steering are also negatives but not enough to overcome the whole package. ...They should be forced to drive an E30 M3 for a week before even thinking about calibrating the the thing.

this. +1

I got the chance to drive a c5 a bunch of miles. The steering feel was the only let down. The seats can be ripped out! In a similar vein, the Factory Five fans have some tricks to cut the boost on the stang's steering. Something might be possible with the ac delco unit.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3fTBhFX4KoK8YdE9rn5x3xjEAcyL91QrT1bH2Ukwd4FVhQcOu2lx1vidjISYo18W