1 2
itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/15/11 9:08 a.m.

so i am considering putting a 10 point cage in one of my cars after seeing a wreck this weekend at road atlanta and i was wondering if anyone out there has a good shop to recommend. i havent won the lottery yet so if they do a great cage at a reasonable price that is what i am looking for. thanks!

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
3/15/11 9:17 a.m.

which crash was it? The Mustang? Theres a shop in Roswell called WagenWerks that does cages. Ask for Bryson...

itsarebuild
3/15/11 9:33 a.m.

actually there were two mustangs that took big hits. one yellow and purple 60's model, one blue and black later model. but the cage in the 60's model impressed the e36 m3 out of me with how well it survived and protected the driver. were you there this weekend?

i dont think i am ever going to do wheel to wheel with my car, but i guess a hit in the wall can happen in solo too! thanks for the reference!

DukeOfUndersteer
3/15/11 9:44 a.m.

Yeup, i was up there on Sunday, picking up some tires. Stayed and watched the Spec E30/Miata race and some of the American Thunder/Big Bore race. Saw the Mustang in the paddock, man it took a shunt!

Now signing up on NASA's website to get my membership and do my "work 2 weekends, get one weekend on track" deal...

itsarebuild
3/15/11 10:11 a.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: Now signing up on NASA's website to get my membership and do my "work 2 weekends, get one weekend on track" deal...

thats what i was doing! its a great deal with as many weekends as they do at road atlanta. so far i've just been working the RA events and driving the CMP events. i may try driving road atlanta for the august event though....

also, last year they did a join NASA = get a free HPDE weekend promotion. not sure if they are still doing it, but it may be worth asking.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
3/15/11 11:58 a.m.

I was there on Saturday. There was an AIX mustang that hit HARD! there was also an FR500 mustang that hit hard enough to wreck the bodywork and break the radiator, but I don't think there was any suspension damage.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
3/15/11 12:01 p.m.

It was a pretty awesome weekend. I was stoked to be up there. Hopefully I'll be at a lot more events soon.

jonny330
jonny330 New Reader
3/15/11 12:07 p.m.

that sounds like a deal to me, let me know if you get that. I am going to do my first HPDE event this summer just trying to figure out where.

DukeOfUndersteer
3/15/11 1:05 p.m.
itsarebuild wrote:
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: Now signing up on NASA's website to get my membership and do my "work 2 weekends, get one weekend on track" deal...
thats what i was doing! its a great deal with as many weekends as they do at road atlanta. so far i've just been working the RA events and driving the CMP events. i may try driving road atlanta for the august event though.... also, last year they did a join NASA = get a free HPDE weekend promotion. not sure if they are still doing it, but it may be worth asking.

You probably know my buddy Jason Robertson, had the Black Volvo Wagon, working grid on the old pit side. He is the one getting me signed onto NASA.

In Reply to Maroon92: You ready for Sebring?!?!!

itsarebuild
3/15/11 1:24 p.m.

In reply to DukeOfUndersteer:

yeah, dont know him by name but remember seeing him there at the end loading tires into his wagon. i was going to ask if that was you. dont you have a volvo wagon too? i was on racer grid all day so i didnt get to hang out with the DE grid folks much.

itsarebuild
3/15/11 1:26 p.m.
Maroon92 wrote: I was there on Saturday. There was an AIX mustang that hit HARD! there was also an FR500 mustang that hit hard enough to wreck the bodywork and break the radiator, but I don't think there was any suspension damage.

yep, i think the blue black one was the FR500. i didnt see much of it but it looked like they werent able to get it fixed for sunday.

were you driving or spectating?

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
3/15/11 1:40 p.m.

Are you seeking a good cage? What is your price point?

Lance Styck of Custom Performance has had some beautiful cages built for his Outlaw class cars by a builder south of ATL. He got one airborne last year at 200+ MPH landing first inverted on the B-pillar at his head, then rolling multiple times. Driver walked away, and cage protected the car except for the sheetmetal.

THAT'S a great cage. But it will cost you.

DukeOfUndersteer
3/15/11 1:43 p.m.
itsarebuild wrote: In reply to DukeOfUndersteer: yeah, dont know him by name but remember seeing him there at the end loading tires into his wagon. i was going to ask if that was you. dont you have a volvo wagon too? i was on racer grid all day so i didnt get to hang out with the DE grid folks much.

haha, we have IDENTICAL wagons, and those were my tires he got from the $2010 forum, those R888s. Hes a real good dude

itsarebuild
3/15/11 3:31 p.m.

you totally scored. they looked like they were in great shape!

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
3/15/11 6:57 p.m.

In reply to itsarebuild:

I was spectating, and taking photos.

In reply to DukeOfUndersteer:

I am SO ready for Sebring.

Mgriz
Mgriz None
3/15/11 7:20 p.m.

There is also Tubular Fabrication in Flowery Branch. http://www.tubularfab.com/ He has done quite a bit of work for Panoz and knows his stuff...

LopRacer
LopRacer New Reader
3/15/11 8:39 p.m.

I was there all weekend working both Grids (think silly guy on the Segway). I've worked for NASA-SE in return for track time for about 6 years now I think. Done just about every job they have outside race control and timing. It's a great way to get on track for little money. A bad accident in Time Trails at CMP a few years back was the impetus for me to getting my car caged. I bought a pre-bent cage kit from a guy out of VA and took two weekends with a couple experienced friends installing it. I don't reccomend doing it yourself unless you or one of your crew is a very good welder. Getting back on topic, I would give Balanced Performance a call and see who they would reccomend. I don't know if they do cages themselves, but I know Jason will know someone in ATL that can. Phone: (678) 546-3133

itsarebuild
3/16/11 11:47 a.m.

whats up rob! yep, i got a 6 point bar set up from a guy in VA for my lemons car and i am planning/ have started to fab that one up myself, but that one is a convertible so it is easier to get all the way around each joint. the car i want to do this time isnt a convertible and it may see some street duty so i want it to both be strong AND look good so i think i might need a pro. i will give Jason a call. shoot..... i guess i could have asked him sunday! and i will call the others mentioned as well. thanks!

DukeOfUndersteer
3/16/11 12:03 p.m.
LopRacer wrote: I was there all weekend working both Grids (think silly guy on the Segway)

Saw you! When i did, you were staging the Big Bore Class on the new paddock side...

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
3/16/11 12:35 p.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote:
LopRacer wrote: I was there all weekend working both Grids (think silly guy on the Segway)
Saw you! When i did, you were staging the Big Bore Class on the new paddock side...

I also saw you. You were riding D2B with a passenger on the back.

SVTF
SVTF Reader
3/16/11 12:48 p.m.

These guys were recommended to me previously - no personal experience tho

http://www.opmautosports.com/

Matt B
Matt B HalfDork
3/16/11 1:21 p.m.
SVTF wrote: These guys were recommended to me previously - no personal experience tho http://www.opmautosports.com/

OPM = Other People's Miatas? lol j/k

LopRacer
LopRacer New Reader
3/16/11 5:30 p.m.

Yep, that was I Segway novice that I am breaking all the rules riding two up, but I think our combined weight is not much more than the max per manufacturer specs. I am sure it will bite me in the butt one of these days, since the Segway has run me over on three separate instances. It is easier to explain in person, but sufice to say it is not a pleasant experience.

Hasbro
Hasbro HalfDork
3/16/11 6:18 p.m.

When living in Peachtree City I looked around and found the prices way too high. Trailered my mini over to Kirk in Alabammy and rented a motel near him. Very good move. http://www.kirkracing.com/

dculberson
dculberson Reader
3/17/11 9:26 a.m.

I hate to see people cage a car that will be street driven. Smacking your head on a cage bar is a really bad thing to happen, so you should wear a helmet any time you're driving a caged car. Just my opinion, of course.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
v8YvmG23OlwH4rCQkxb7i9xB2WjZYXxtls6EpeNjxh0CRy4YNuAkuKMbctGtYE0K