1 2 3 ... 5
Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/15/13 5:44 p.m.

7 minutes, 37.4 seconds. That's hauling the freight, ugly muscle car or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj1h75vA1Jw

Love that sound!

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/15/13 5:47 p.m.

Yow!

That car's much prettier when I can't see it

Toyman01
10/15/13 5:47 p.m.

Oh, and just in case you were wondering how fast that is...

Faster than the Porsche 911, Carrera S, and the Lamborghini Murcielago LP640.

7000 rpms, 161 mph.

I still don't like GM, but that's pretty impressive.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/15/13 5:51 p.m.

Mark Stielow finally convinced his bosses to let him go nuts. You know that it's shipped with TW 40 tires, right?

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
10/15/13 6:00 p.m.

Sweet baby jeebus

great sounds

brb, gotta watch again

kazoospec
kazoospec HalfDork
10/15/13 6:03 p.m.

Impressive, especially considering part of that lap was in the rain. I've driven the 'Ring a couple hundred times in various versions of Gran Turismo and never turn a lap that clean, and that's without G forces, fatigue and the threat of firey death. Any driver that knows a track that long that well gets my respect.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
10/15/13 6:29 p.m.

So..... if the next Mustang really does come in a few hundred pounds lighter, Ford has a target to shoot at. They should be able to knock several seconds off the Camaro's time.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/15/13 6:32 p.m.

... in the Wet.

jdbuilder
jdbuilder Reader
10/15/13 7:02 p.m.

@ 4:39 is an oh E36 M3 moment! Then another one was when he breaks back tires loose in the wet at 80+mph... Bravo!

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
10/15/13 7:24 p.m.

the Z/28 is one badass piece of machinery... can't wait to see what they come up with in the next generation with more power and a lighter body..

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/15/13 7:33 p.m.

That's not a muscle car, it can turn and stop, it's a large high-powered sports car now

Those tires are probably streetable R-comps though, to pull over 1G sustained in the corners. Maybe EPS tires if the suspension is truly awesome.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
10/15/13 7:34 p.m.

Ah, if they could only make it decent looking... but yeah that is hauling the mail for sure.

Driven5
Driven5 Reader
10/15/13 8:11 p.m.

So if I'm reading this right...People are surprised that a Camaro with a high powered engine, track suspension, wide R-compound tires, significant weight reduction, and a driver with big brass cojones behind the wheel, is fast?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
10/15/13 8:12 p.m.

James May will not approve.

Toyman01
10/15/13 8:17 p.m.
Driven5 wrote: So if I'm reading this right...People are surprised that a Camaro with a high powered engine, track suspension, wide R-compound tires, stripped down weight, and a driver with big brass cojones behind the wheel, is fast?

I drove a Camaro to work today. To put it plain and simple, it's a POS. They have come a long long long way in the last 19 years.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
10/15/13 8:21 p.m.
Driven5 wrote: So if I'm reading this right...People are surprised that a Camaro with a high powered engine, track suspension, wide R-compound tires, significant weight reduction, and a driver with big brass cojones behind the wheel, is fast?

Not surprised that its fast, but faster than a Lambo? Still very impressive, and would have been a bit faster yet if it had stayed dry. And man, not too many would have the nerve to stay flat at 160 on a couple of sweepers near the end. Very, very impressive.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
10/15/13 8:23 p.m.

the ZL1 Camaro is almost as fast around the Ring- and there's probably one of those sitting at every Chevy dealership across the country right now...

Driven5
Driven5 Reader
10/15/13 10:20 p.m.
jstein77 wrote: Not surprised that its fast, but faster than a Lambo?

It's not necessarily a fair comparison to put an official factory backed time against a magazine test time either.

nicksta43
nicksta43 SuperDork
10/15/13 10:23 p.m.

That is an impressive time for a big car.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/15/13 10:40 p.m.

I can believe that the Camaro is faster than the Lambo.. I never considered Lamborghinis to be serious sports/super cars, at least not the modern ones.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
10/16/13 12:25 a.m.

Hmmm... I DO respect the Camaro for posting that time....

but I can't seem to shake the thought(JMHO) that ALL the current pony/muscle cars are a lot like an F4 Phantom... "given enough power... even a brick can fly"

kanaric
kanaric Reader
10/16/13 1:47 a.m.

Channel of ring cars: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvXVxIUT9MWktQ0IkLybjsw

There is a lot of interesting stuff on there and every interesting recent American car is in these videos pretty much. Among other things like NSUs and Renault Alpine thing i've never seen

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
10/16/13 3:24 a.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: Hmmm... I DO respect the Camaro for posting that time.... but I can't seem to shake the thought(JMHO) that ALL the current pony/muscle cars are a lot like an F4 Phantom... "given enough power... even a brick can fly"

yeah, and?

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/16/13 8:12 a.m.

This car sets this time at The Ring and people still damn it with faint praise.

That car is fast. No matter how you slice it. Congratulations to GM for bringing their 'A' game and building a world class performance car. It puts a smile on my face to see American manufacturing achieving this.

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
10/16/13 8:26 a.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: Hmmm... I DO respect the Camaro for posting that time.... but I can't seem to shake the thought(JMHO) that ALL the current pony/muscle cars are a lot like an F4 Phantom... "given enough power... even a brick can fly"

The z28 has 500HP...there are plenty of cars with more HP and more that can't come close to that time.....

Pretty cool vid and I personally like the looks of the z28 a lot more that the previous year SS. I think they are moving in the right direction on all counts.

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0E8Jwbx1CeYDReqyyXAmr6wL9GeOLISNc7uN5rsTF8W0KDhPr1uKba0SgGydQwVn