1 ... 3 4 5
kanaric
kanaric Reader
10/18/13 2:01 a.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: To all the cars with 4 valve heads, overhead cams, AWD and $100,000 price tags.... SUCK IT!

It's almost hard to believe they are still pushrod 2 valve....

nicksta43 wrote: The only problem I have at all with the Camaro is the ugly ass taillights. It is a big car, but I like big cars.

My problem with it is that it looks like a 80s Japanese design off of Macross and it's going to morph into a mecha or something. Whats weird is I think this and never seen transformers.... I hate the ultra-thin windows as well it's like someones nails who bite them or something but I guess in today's cars that can' be avoided but the Camaro is by far the biggest offender of this. I like how it drives but I just hate the way it looks, lo..

ebonyandivory wrote: In reply to Nashco: Your post reminds of Rush's Red Barchetta!

lol. I think the Camaro is more the 2 ton overly-regulated for safety gleaming alloy aircar in that song. That song is attacking the large bus's that are today's cars pretty much.

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
10/18/13 9:41 a.m.

We're having a dyno day tomorrow and a ZL1 is coming, not a Z28, but I'm still excited to hear the sweet noises it'll make.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/18/13 9:46 a.m.
Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/18/13 9:56 a.m.
Xceler8x wrote: Car and Driver says a 2012 Camaro is better than the same year BMW M6.

Better at having swag and swagger, apparently.

article said: The BMW is the better car by nearly every measure. Its structure feels far stiffer than the Camaro’s shell, immediately imparting a superior sense of driver control. Top up, the M6 provides a more serene experience, with great noise insulation and nary a ruffle from the fabric. The leather-wrapped everything inside the BMW feels at least four times richer than the ZL1’s interior trimmings. At 4506 pounds, the M6 is slightly heavier than the ZL1, but whatever mass was spent stiffening the structure and quelling noise was well worth it.
article said: So why did the M6 finish second? The BMW does most everything better. But the ZL1 has more than half the swagger at just less than half the price.

I remember now why i don't read this rag anymore. Though i must admit, it's nice to see something that's not a BMW take the win @ Car and Driver, no matter how contrived i find it.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/18/13 12:51 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Better at having swag and swagger, apparently.
article said: The BMW is the better car by nearly every measure. Its structure feels far stiffer than the Camaro’s shell, immediately imparting a superior sense of driver control. Top up, the M6 provides a more serene experience, with great noise insulation and nary a ruffle from the fabric. The leather-wrapped everything inside the BMW feels at least four times richer than the ZL1’s interior trimmings. At 4506 pounds, the M6 is slightly heavier than the ZL1, but whatever mass was spent stiffening the structure and quelling noise was well worth it.
article said: So why did the M6 finish second? The BMW does most everything better. But the ZL1 has more than half the swagger at just less than half the price.
I remember now why i don't read this rag anymore. Though i must admit, it's nice to see something that's not a BMW take the win @ Car and Driver, no matter how contrived i find it.

I had to give the haters something to nourish them.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/18/13 12:52 p.m.

I'm drinking some of that right now!!!!

To go with my peanut butter and ujelly sammich and my umad fries!

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
10/18/13 1:12 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
Xceler8x wrote: Car and Driver says a 2012 Camaro is better than the same year BMW M6.
Better at having swag and swagger, apparently.

I get what they're saying...the BMW should have better sound deadening, interior, etc when you consider the price. If cost were no object sounds like they would have picked the BMW, but when you consider cost the ZL1 is a lot of car for the money. It's also how I'd want to spend my money...on performance as opposed to noise suppression and interior quality. Cost no object, being the car whore I am, I'd probably just by both.

chockrl
chockrl New Reader
10/18/13 4:01 p.m.

So really they said the ZL1 is half the car of the M6. But because it is half the price it wins? I guess that way if you are a Camaro person you can say they think the Camaro is better, but if you really read what they are saying the M6 is in a whole different class.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
10/18/13 4:33 p.m.

Or they said that the M6 isn't twice as good. It's very good, but not that good. GM has done well with the Camaro. It isn't the be all and end all car, but they sell a lot of them. People like them. Isn't that the benchmark of success for a car?

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
10/30/13 12:32 p.m.

So as a follow up, this has just appeared on Autoblob.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hiSgO7Jq3I#t=89

The text from the aritical:

A couple of weeks ago we brought you footage and official times of the new Chevy Camaro Z/28 lapping the Nürburgring. With a 7:37.47 lap time, the Z/28 emerged as the fastest muscle car ever to lap the circuit. But what was missing from that picture was how fast the king of all Mustangs, the Shelby GT500, could manage to lap the Nordschleife.

Ford never released any information or footage of the GT500 on the Nürburgring that we were aware of – that is, until the guys at SVTPerformance.com put in a request for Mustang videos. Among the clips they received was never-seen, in-car footage of the Shelby GT500 lapping the circuit. And boy did it hustle.

Although not quite official, the video seems to show the GT500 lapped the venerated German track in a touch under 7:40. That would make it a tick or two faster than the Camaro ZL1 – but what of the Z/28? By Chevy's quoted time, the Z/28 is still faster than the GT500, but SVTPerformance suggests GM may have fudged the numbers a bit and scrubbed half a second or so off their lap time.

As the forum's administrator SID297 admits, judging lap times from video footage is not an exact science, so we'll leave final judgement up to you, the viewing public. But any way you slice it, these are some epically fast muscle cars. Check out the footage below to see for yourself.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
10/30/13 12:38 p.m.

Camaro and Mustang vids together http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbAgWjQWvS8 watching it now.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
10/30/13 12:46 p.m.
unk577 wrote: "The fastest LFA" "a 911 GT2" yes there are a lot of street cars that may be able to do it I faster but can they do it right off of the production line? No mods... Didn't the initial GTR set a new record that nobody could duplicate with a stock GTR? The comparison to LFA probably has more to due with a price for performance comparison than anything else

They ran the GTR on straight up r-comps.....the z28 comes with 40tw "r-compound tires" new, so theres that.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
10/30/13 12:46 p.m.

OK, Camaro was definitly 5-6 seconds closer until some moisture and the long long straight, then the Mustang closed the gap pretty quickly. I don't konw what tires or who the drive of the Shelby was, but he did seem to apex earlier than the Camaro driver.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
10/30/13 12:54 p.m.

The Camaro really was clearly faster on the corners. Was it the moisture or the long straight that was responsible for the close finish? I'd say both.
Spectacular cars, both of them.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
10/30/13 12:56 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

I'll bet more the straight as its uphill and the camaro lacks 200hp or so.......

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
10/30/13 1:23 p.m.

"Mustang is best. Camaro sucks."
You might as well say that as try to make comparisons of fractions of a second from videos or even official laps times not done on the same day/same conditions.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
10/30/13 1:30 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

That is true.....

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/30/13 1:34 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: "Mustang is best. Camaro sucks." You might as well say that as try to make comparisons of fractions of a second from videos or even official laps times not done on the same day/same conditions.

Which of course makes this whole practice of comparing Ring times utterly pointless, but that doesn't seem to have stopped anyone from doing it.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
10/30/13 1:58 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

But that's what we do.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
10/30/13 2:34 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

What's what we do?

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
10/30/13 2:37 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to mazdeuce: What's what we do?

Bash each others' choice of the automotive clap?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
10/30/13 3:03 p.m.

Make half formed ideas based on incomplete information with the end goal of making the right choice either in reality or our own minds. Imagine how much fun the board would be if the answer to " what car/tire/part" was "we can't suggest anything because we have incomplete information." Arguing over cars purely for the sake of arguing over cars is our art.

Rupert
Rupert Reader
10/30/13 3:15 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote:
Arguing over cars purely for the sake of arguing over cars is our art.

Makes sense to me.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
10/30/13 3:35 p.m.

Oh, and there was a ZL1 Camaro in the parking lot at my kids elementary school last week. It was pretty damn cool. Add that to the two SS ones that regularily pick their kids up after school and the three V6 cars in the teacher parking lot, and their was significant Camaro love in my little corner of Texas. I'm still more excited about the new Mustang that's coming.

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1QxL9hZcq4ODwXBm2qOW3RaPuNmMZBS5mdgZCdbwWKQTTqXgffcRj3dU3ClY40fC