1 2 3 4
RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/28/18 1:38 a.m.

Convertible.

I've put a lot of thought into this because I really can go either way. But any day above 50 with no rain and I'm riding top down.

The biggest tipping point for me though is that people can hear me yell at them when they nod off at a red light or try to run me over in my convertible, you don't get that in a hard top.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
4/28/18 5:31 a.m.

Convertible, I had my top down on my S2000 nearly 85% of the time. It was down even in the winter time. Now no longer feasible for the next 10 years since kiddos are here and lack of new 5 seater convertibles in the market. However, I am tempted to get an old school classic car convertible. 

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
4/28/18 6:11 a.m.

In reply to RevRico : I’d forgotten that part of driving a convertible. The fact that you can holler at people instead of the confusing horn tooting?

“It’s as green as it’s going to get! “ is so much more satisfying than a generic horn honk.  It’s also nice to hear the compliments as you drive by with the top down and a grin plastered on your face.  

Those poor soulless people stuffed in their tin top taxicab wanna-be’s  simply cannot appreciate the pleasures of wind in their hair and an endless sky above!   

yupididit
yupididit SuperDork
4/28/18 8:01 a.m.

For me it depends on the car. The 911 of any vintage i hate the convertibles. It ruines their lines. As well as the older Targa 911.

BMW z4, I prefer in coupe because they look awesome. 

E9x BMW 3 series. I love the way the hardtop convertibles look! Same as the Lexus IS350c. 

Mercedes SL's the old r107 generation I prefer the convertible vs the slc  (coupe version). 

Jaguar F-type I'd take in either configuration. 

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
4/28/18 10:11 p.m.

I live where it rains nine months of the year, berkeley convertibles.  

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
4/28/18 11:26 p.m.

Solid roofs. Since 75% of my projects as an adult have been foxbody based and seeing how easy a t top car of mine bent I want all the structure I can get. I'm also slightly paranoid about rollover protection being as the only accident I've been in was sliding on a roof in a ditch when I was 13.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/28/18 11:28 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

Hated the sunroof in my E30.  The sunroof in a MINI is a rattle-fiend and incredibly loud when open. The sunroof in my VW is the one electrical gremlin in the car that's really annoying and also loud thanks to the wagon roof rails. Never cared for the sunroof in my Integra either.

Oddly enough, the MINI Convertible we had was more quiet with the top down and highway speeds than a coupe with the sunroof open. I miss that car. That said, I arguably paid a premium for my '06 MCS JCW because it lacked a sunroof.

I like my Spitfire with the top down, although in the 3.5 years I've owned it I've yet to experience that. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
w8yecCP4YhRSJw4S0jYLRXWjZzxvFVMymAmueYSPr6G8cvnYalRjLf22ZGmTCFKx