1 2 3 ... 7
Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
10/10/17 5:43 p.m.

http://apexjunky.com/2017/10/ultimate-ds-test-crows-landing/

I knew Mark was a good driver and a dominant national level competitor, but when he chose a 2.0 turbo camaro for DS class in Autocross I thought there was no way that was going to work because of how big the car is. So I am definitely surprised. What say you?

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
10/10/17 5:48 p.m.

I didn't know there was such a thing as a 4 cylinder Camaro, never mind someone winning a race in it and also taking home  a national championship.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/10/17 5:53 p.m.

In reply to ncjay :

You never saw an Iron Duke engined 3rd-gen?

They did make 'em for the first few years.  Not too many people bought them.  I've only ever seen two in real life.  You could even get a Z28 with the four cylinder, according to an '86 dealer guide I used to have!  (I doubt any were ever made)

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
10/10/17 5:59 p.m.

My mid-life crisis will be either something old or a 4-cylinder Camaro. I'm actively searching for a wrecked ATS with that motor to be an organ donor.

Snrub
Snrub Reader
10/10/17 6:06 p.m.

The 6th gen Camaro is really under appreciated.  The 4-cyl has much more favorable classing than the V6.

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
10/10/17 6:30 p.m.

Yeah I know the v6 is getting classed with the v8 but still

4 cylinder camaro vs civic type r, wrx, focus RS or a BRZ/FRS is not a fight I expected the Camaro to be remotely competitive in let alone top dog

@oldopelguy I immediately wondered how good those 4 cylinder ATS's might be also

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
10/10/17 6:43 p.m.

In reply to Jaynen :

It's a very competent chassis.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/10/17 6:49 p.m.

there's a reason mazdeuce keeps pondering one of these with the ZL1 (?) handling package, and "all the tires" for OneLap

CyberEric
CyberEric Reader
10/10/17 6:51 p.m.

Very surprising. I've heard good things about this gen Camaro, but I thought it was magazine hype. 

What is almost as surprising is how the CTR had the best power of the group (per the author), not the Focus RS. He sounded pretty impressed with the CTR, which I hadn't heard great things about so far (admittedly, I read one article!)

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
10/10/17 7:21 p.m.
sleepyhead said:

there's a reason mazdeuce keeps pondering one of these with the ZL1 (?) handling package, and "all the tires" for OneLap

I think the 1Le package is available on the 4 and v6 which puts the v8 versions brakes and suspension on it but is not the same as the 1LE package for the v8 car

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/10/17 7:53 p.m.

Chevy's media site shows 1LE now available for V6 Camaro, but I don't see anything for four-cylinder.  And I have Sam Strano on the other line. :)

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
10/10/17 8:04 p.m.

Hey, that sounds familiar. We were excited about that car at SEMA last year.

CyberEric
CyberEric Reader
10/10/17 8:37 p.m.

I just wish they made it so you could see out of it. I'll never own one because I'd run over ten pedestrians a month with that visability. 

sleepyhead
10/10/17 8:42 p.m.

this GM letter/number jumbo is not syncing with my internal translation database...  so, please... the slack, let it out  wink

and yeah, I think the V6 w/ the 1LE is what I've seen before.  Although, really... I can't see them being that hard to adapt to the 4cyl?

sleepyhead
10/10/17 8:43 p.m.
CyberEric said:

I just wish they made it so you could see out of it. I'll never own one because I'd run over ten pedestrians a month with that visability. 

I've seen similar complaints about its inability to swallow a carry-on bag into the trunk via the trunk opening

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
10/10/17 9:06 p.m.

Ah true no package for the 4cyl but you can buy it from chevy performance for 1200 bucks it looks like

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
10/10/17 9:06 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Chevy's media site shows 1LE now available for V6 Camaro, but I don't see anything for four-cylinder.  And I have Sam Strano on the other line. :)

Sam is definitely the man for Camaro handling

David S. Wallens
10/10/17 9:37 p.m.
Jaynen said:

Ah true no package for the 4cyl but you can buy it from chevy performance for 1200 bucks it looks like

Yes, that you can do. That configuration isn't legal for SCCA D Street autocross competition, though. 

David S. Wallens
10/10/17 9:38 p.m.
sleepyhead said:

this GM letter/number jumbo is not syncing with my internal translation database...  so, please... the slack, let it out  wink

and yeah, I think the V6 w/ the 1LE is what I've seen before.  Although, really... I can't see them being that hard to adapt to the 4cyl?

Maybe we get a factory 1LE package for the four-cylinder cars in 2019? 

HunterJP
HunterJP GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/10/17 10:31 p.m.

I got the chance to drive the SCCA’s 2.0T in both the Targa Southland and CAM Challenge events. The car surprised everyone, including me. I was purposely placed higher than normal classing for the Targa event, running with the likes of an E92 M3, Shelby GT350, and a gaggle of Corvettes, and the car more than held its own. It totally sold me on the capabilities of that chassis. Oh, and having driven it from Topeka to Charlotte, and back, I can tell you it is a very capable cruiser. 

I’d still take mine with the V8, though. 

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
10/10/17 10:36 p.m.

If you're used to driving a mini-van, then yes, the visibility would probably make you nervous.  But for those that drive small sports cars...

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
10/10/17 11:29 p.m.

A base 2.0T Camaro on the nothing-special stock shocks and stock sway bars not only took the class win over existing DS cars by a 1.5 second margin, but also beat the entire more aggressively tired/suspended/powered FS field by .5 seconds, and would even have taken 3rd in BS?...Something doesn't add up here.  

Snrub
Snrub Reader
10/10/17 11:30 p.m.

Just for the record, 1LE basically means suspension, brakes from the next level up.

The V6 1LE has the suspension and cooling from the base SS (V8).  There's no reason you couldn't build your own 4-cyl 1LE type car, but it's not going to help you with classing.

SS 1LE has the ZL1's stuff (eg. more performant magnetic suspension).

ZL1 1LE is the top dog and has DSSV shocks.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
10/10/17 11:41 p.m.

In reply to racerfink :

I never really got that complaint. And yes I have driven them. Like most things it's never as bad as the internet makes it out to be.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/11/17 12:51 a.m.
Snrub said:

Just for the record, 1LE basically means suspension, brakes from the next level up.

The V6 1LE has the suspension and cooling from the base SS (V8).  There's no reason you couldn't build your own 4-cyl 1LE type car, but it's not going to help you with classing.

SS 1LE has the ZL1's stuff (eg. more performant magnetic suspension).

ZL1 1LE is the top dog and has DSSV shocks.

That... doesn't make sense.   An RPO code *is* the parts on the car.  It isn't dependent on what other options are on the car, just what chassis it is.   That would be like saying all Camaros have LS1 engines, the 4 cylinder has the LS1 four cylinder, the V6 has the LS1 V6, etc.

Unless they're using the 1990s RPO code for a 2010s option package name, which is confusing as all heck.

1 2 3 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GDhOzo7Bf1eLUiN2N6UcoZd2gw50c0PrTWjkxMOhetBn5flWSHyXjarbNhM4ULFH