1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/12/17 7:52 p.m.

TIL that the ATS has a shorter wheelbase than the Camaro, is definitely shorter overall, and is in some cases lighter.

Also TIL that an ATS-V is a $90k car, and you still can't get it in white with blue skunkstripes like a '67 Z28.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
10/12/17 8:20 p.m.

I just spent a bunch of time on the configurator. I can't get it to let me put the big wheels on without stepping up to the V6 unless one of the "special" wheels are wider, and they dont' show width. What I can do is build a base four cylinder car with the big six piston Brembos, a bigger radiator and an oil cooler. The brakes aren't necessary for AX, but it seems like this car might be a set of 1LE size wheels away from a fun track car. Chevy says $29,610 as built. Where did I leave my wallet..........

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
10/12/17 8:24 p.m.
Knurled said:
Driven5 said:
Knurled said:

Some YouTube searching leads to the revelation that the 2.0t/auto combo blats like a PDK Porsche on upshifts. 

Maybe for the few milliseconds of shift it farts kind of like one, if that's your thing, but what an uninspiring sound the rest of the time. 

It's a four cylinder.  They always sound uninspiring unless they're something like a BDA screaming at over 9000.

My M10 powered BMW's disagree.

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
10/12/17 8:31 p.m.

Knurled said:

It's a four cylinder.  They always sound uninspiring unless they're something like a BDA screaming at over 9000.

Fiat 500 Abarth.

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
10/12/17 8:53 p.m.
mazdeuce said:

I just spent a bunch of time on the configurator. I can't get it to let me put the big wheels on without stepping up to the V6 unless one of the "special" wheels are wider, and they dont' show width. 

According to the online brochure, all non-staggered wheel setups are 8.5 wide, same as it sounds like was used on the national champion car.  The base wheels are 18x8.5, and the RS package wheels are 20x8.5.  But yes, it appears that getting the staggered setup with 8.5 fronts and 9.5 rears requires the 1LE V6 package.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/12/17 8:55 p.m.
mazdeuce said:

I just spent a bunch of time on the configurator. I can't get it to let me put the big wheels on without stepping up to the V6 unless one of the "special" wheels are wider, and they dont' show width. What I can do is build a base four cylinder car with the big six piston Brembos, a bigger radiator and an oil cooler. The brakes aren't necessary for AX, but it seems like this car might be a set of 1LE size wheels away from a fun track car. Chevy says $29,610 as built. Where did I leave my wallet..........

this has been my go-to for wheel specs of late:
https://www.wheel-size.com/size/chevrolet/camaro/2017/

the real question is, can you bring yourself to drop a half-cage into a brand-new $30k car?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
10/12/17 8:55 p.m.

In reply to Driven5 :

Awesome. I need this in my life. I wonder if Mrs. Deuce will notice if we go from 8 cars to 9?

Knurled
10/12/17 9:01 p.m.
EvanB said:
Jaynen said:
Knurled said:
David S. Wallens said:
You know, his car is listed as a 2016 Camaro. I might have been looking at the media info for 2016 or ’17. 

Wouldn't be the first time a manufacturer juggled options.

Some YouTube searching leads to the revelation that the 2.0t/auto combo blats like a PDK Porsche on upshifts. 

This is bad.  Very bad.  You can find 4-digit mileage Camaros for $20k-ish.

2 litre manual ats I saw for as low as 13k if its really the same car underneath and you could even grab the chevy performance suspension parts and go to town

$11k 2.0t/auto ATS

dammit evan

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
10/12/17 9:02 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

Costs the same to cage a $30K car as a $3k car. Kind of.

You could fit the biggest tires of anyone in Small Bore GT.

There's always that lack of talent issue.

Knurled
10/12/17 9:02 p.m.
mazdeuce said:

Skunk stripes are $600 extra.  But sooo worth it.  How can you have a Camaro RS without skunk stripes?

White Camaro gets blue stripes.  Black Camaro gets gold stripes.  Yellow Camaro gets black stripes.  This is the Way of Things.

Knurled
10/12/17 9:04 p.m.
Driven5 said:

Knurled said:

Fiat 500 Abarth.

You reiterate for me.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
10/12/17 9:06 p.m.
Knurled said:
mazdeuce said:

Skunk stripes are $600 extra.  But sooo worth it.  How can you have a Camaro RS without skunk stripes?

When you have a vinyl cutter in your living room and vinyl is $1 a foot, factory stripes look rather expensive. Besides, I could come up with something way less tasteful than the factory options.

Knurled
10/12/17 9:14 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce :

Yes, BUT!!!:  In 40 years people will ogle over the one-of-one Brembo package 2.0t RS with BLACK paint and GOLD stripes, with provenance by the original window sticker.  Meanwhile, if you want to cut your own vinyl, in 40 years you better hope that "Mazdeuce Cramit" is as important to history as Yenko or Scoggin-Dickey has been.

I am also somewhat disappointed that it took four pages for Cramit to be invoked.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
10/12/17 9:18 p.m.

"Owned by mazdeuce" isn't exactly confidence inspiring.

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
10/12/17 10:00 p.m.

Annie Civic Type R 
Camaro 2.0T -0.565
Scion FR-S -0.153
Focus RS -0.138
Justin Civic Type R 
Focus RS -0.269
FR-S -0.247
Camaro 2.0T -0.138
Jonathan Scion FR-S 
Civic Type R -0.878
Camaro 2.0T -0.050
Focus RS -0.279

I believe this is read as Annie was fastest in the Type R, she was half a second back with the camaro. .15 frs, .13 rs

Justin was fastest in the Type R etc

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
10/12/17 10:01 p.m.
mazdeuce said:

In reply to sleepyhead :

Costs the same to cage a $30K car as a $3k car. Kind of.

You could fit the biggest tires of anyone in Small Bore GT.

There's always that lack of talent issue.

What are the class tire rules in One Lap? Looking I don't see anything restricting wheel size?

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
10/12/17 10:07 p.m.

2016 4cyl Camaro with a stick with 3k miles only 18k

2016, stick, 18k

Buy the car, put the suspension kit on it and some wheels, do one lap, sell car and parts? I guess him winning a championship on stock suspension maybe you don't even need to do anything but tires

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
10/12/17 10:09 p.m.
mazdeuce said:

In reply to Driven5 :

Awesome. I need this in my life. I wonder if Mrs. Deuce will notice if we go from 8 cars to 9?

My wife no longer notices....I mean unless it's something crazy like when I brought the firetruck home.  Something relatively normal,  like trading my 2002 dark green k3500 for a 2013 light blue k3500 had to be pointed out.   So, try and sneak the camaro in...you never know!  laugh

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/12/17 10:15 p.m.

class are

SSGT1 BB = 2 doors + $50k & greater MSRP (2018 dollars), 3.5L & greater
SSGT1 SB = 2 doors + $50k & greater MSRP (2018 dollars), less than 3.5L
SSGT2 BB = 2 doors + less than $50k MSRP (2018 dollars), 3.5L & greater
SSGT2 SB = 2 doors + less than $50k MSRP (2018 dollars), less than 3.5L
Luxury = sedans over $50k
Econo = cars under $25k
mid priced sedan = sedan between $25 & 50k
truck/suv = duh
alt fuel = hybrids & diesel
american cruiser = american sedans over 3.5L
classic/vintage american = american manu cars older than 1991
classic/vintage foreign = foreign manufacturer cars older than 1991
retro = MINI / HHR / PT cruiser, etc

Tires = 200TW or higher tires from "approved manufacturers" purchased through TireRack.  (2018 tire manufacturers haven't been announced yet)

that's the gist of it

limited rules, don't whine... run what ya brung.... etc etc

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
10/13/17 4:49 a.m.

I'm not sure about the gearing in the 2.0t Camaro, but for my 2016 V6 1LT, second gear will carry to just about 67mph.  Ideal for SCCA autocross.  The local autocross group runs a rather large ex-bomber training base runway, and will sometimes see 75-80.

As a bonus, I have a 50 mile best MPG average of 35.2.  Not bad for a car with 335hp!

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
10/13/17 4:54 a.m.
Knurled said:

TIL that the ATS has a shorter wheelbase than the Camaro, is definitely shorter overall, and is in some cases lighter.

Also TIL that an ATS-V is a $90k car, and you still can't get it in white with blue skunkstripes like a '67 Z28.

The ATS-V coupe has more rear leg seat room than my Camaro.  It also starts at just a hair over $63k.  You might be able to option one out to $90k, but those would have to be some options.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
10/13/17 5:30 a.m.
z31maniac said:
NickD said:
mazdeuce said:

Are they putting the 10 speed auto behind the four cylinder? I've been a bit in love with the idea of that transmission since the Nurburgring video. 

When Motor Trend tested the ZL-1 at Streets Of Willow, it was 1.5 seconds slower per lap with the 10-speed auto versus the 6-speed manual

More like .6 seconds. 

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrolet/camaro/2017/2017-chevrolet-camaro-zl1-first-test-brute-squad-goals/

Whoops, that's what I get for not double-checking my facts. I found it interesting that the auto ZL-1 was slower, but then when they tested the ATS-V, the 8-speed auto was faster than the 6-speed manual

Raze
Raze UltraDork
10/13/17 6:27 a.m.

So, full disclosure, I work for the General, I was blessed with a 4cyl turbo 6 speed 2017 Base as my company car for 6 months, just finished up 6k miles with it.  It came with no options but the paint, the shipping weight was 3260 and I can confirm, owning a C4 that it's very similar, except turbo lag high rev power vs lt1 V8 grunt, but the Camaro is geared perfect in the 6 speed and that chassis is a mile ahead of the 5th gen, I have one of those too.  What was so shocking to me was just how tossable the car is, it feels dynamically like an FRS/BRZ which my buddy has so, but larger, and up top waaaay quicker, I loved it and thought it would make a killer cheap track car, when used prices come down I may look to snag one, slap big rubber on it and just wail on it as is... 

KevinLG
KevinLG New Reader
10/13/17 7:15 a.m.

I was there, and watching Mark's runs. It was all him. Keep in mind he also cleared GS a couple years back by 1.6s (also raw timing DS, but I'm not sure what day/heat they were running, so it's probably bad data). He would've demolished the field in any of the other front-runners for the class.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
10/13/17 7:41 a.m.

In reply to Raze :

Thanks for that data. Dealers in Houston have them listed for $22K for on the lot 2017 cars. No telling if you can actually get them for that, but if you can, holy moly that's a lot of car for the money.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
f749F3TnfXJ8TcT9CD0wf1qGvEB3HBHd2VwMfQl2ipiWYmiRu24gQsMUJzRIq0s5