1 2 3 4
Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
11/23/21 1:45 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

My Showroom Stock C Miata cornered on the bump stops..................the first thing I did when it was no longer eligible for showroom stock was put fresh dampers on it. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/23/21 1:58 p.m.

They always corner on the stops, but tired dampers mean you spend more time slamming into them unnecessarily. Also makes them a little more oversteery.

Showroom stock, that's a series we need to come back.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
11/23/21 2:45 p.m.

Yeah, this has some sort of aftermarket shock and mild lowering springs on it. Not horrible, but definitely room for improvement. 

Keith Tanner
11/23/21 3:02 p.m.

Almost goes without saying, but feel free to hit me up with pictures or questions if you're trying to identify what you have.

Tom Suddard
11/23/21 3:10 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Oh, you know we'll be in touch!

Though, TBH this car is probably getting parked in a corner for a year or so. Too many projects and too little time at the moment. 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/23/21 3:13 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

..Here's an interesting thing I realized: I have thousands of miles behind the wheel of modified NA Miatas, but I'd never driven a stock one more than a few miles...

I had a similar experience earlier this year.  Chronicled in this thread -> Link

Tom Suddard
11/23/21 3:22 p.m.

Yeah, that's definitely a fair summary. 

One thing that caught me off guard immediately: I forgot how numerically high the rear-end ratio on the 1.6 cars is. This car was spinning 4200 rpm at 80 mph. surprise

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/23/21 4:48 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

One thing that caught me off guard immediately: I forgot how numerically high the rear-end ratio on the 1.6 cars is. This car was spinning 4200 rpm at 80 mph. surprise

I don't think I've ever driven a Miata on the highway but that's spinning right along.  Of course, the speed limit was still 55 in the US when that car was built.

Keith Tanner
11/23/21 4:55 p.m.

Miata owners have been asking us about "why does the engine spin so fast on the highway??" for over 30 years :) But the cars don't mind.

It was like that in countries with other speed limits as well, like Germany. And the 1999-05 5-speeds had the same rear end ratio.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
11/23/21 5:09 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

They always corner on the stops, but tired dampers mean you spend more time slamming into them unnecessarily. Also makes them a little more oversteery.

Showroom stock, that's a series we need to come back.

Yup, there were some unique driving techniques in corners with big bumps.

I daily drove the car; I'd love to have the car back to run as a SSC car at vintage races. It had a couple of podium finishes at the RunOffs.

RichardNZ
RichardNZ GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/24/21 1:44 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Been therebrother in law lives in Wallingford smiley

Probably the only roads in the US I might even have a chance of recognising are  CT-15 and CT-9.

Which reminds me he recently sold his LT4 Corvette (to Texas), I wonder what he's replacing it with - 6, 7 or 8?

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltimaDork
11/24/21 6:51 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Yep, the 4.3 rear diff makes it....busy.  I think most of the early cars came with a VLSD rear end but some of them were open.  And of the VLSD units built many gave up the ghost over the past 30 years.  I just replaced mine prophylactically so I have a spare working VLSD diff if you need it.

Cool road trip! 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VU5fOapjOYxryhfGKhlj8CMlYvUJnODfjQOD5UHoaEJETUdJgAlcYOS4klBWE2US