1 2
teamdixonracing
teamdixonracing Dork
5/8/10 4:28 p.m.

Apparently Car&Driver did in article in the May 1985 issue on a crx with twin accord engines.

I've been looking around online for more information and possibly an electronic version of the article but haven't been able to find as much information as I'm looking for.

Anyone know where I can find more information? Any chance anyone has a copy of that issue they would either sell or scan/email the article?

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog HalfDork
5/8/10 4:30 p.m.

I have the issue but my scanner is down Actually there were two stories iirc. The first was with twin Civic engines and the second was with Accord powerplants.

teamdixonracing
teamdixonracing Dork
5/8/10 4:33 p.m.

Dang. Hopefully you get the scanner fixed soon.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/8/10 4:42 p.m.

I posted a link to that article here a couple of years ago, before the format change. I'll try to find the link. C+D called the car CRX^2. (CRX-squared). I think the second article was in the Fall of '85.

Woody
5/8/10 4:46 p.m.

Here ya go:

Article 1

http://www.carlustblog.com/2008/02/car-lust--twin.html

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
5/8/10 4:48 p.m.

And in a weird 'cross the streams' way, it actually showed up at a GRM dyno day about 12 years ago.

Per

kb58
kb58 Reader
5/8/10 5:04 p.m.

In case there's thoughts of building one...

The only way they work well is if the power of both engines is combined before being split between the front and rear axles. Otherwise it'll have diabolical mid-corner handling due to the power coming on at one end before the other. The few cars that exist are always shown going really fast in a straight line, but I suspect they're slower than an equivalent single-engine car on a road course.

teamdixonracing
teamdixonracing Dork
5/8/10 5:34 p.m.

In reply to kb58:

That's an interesting thought. The thought of building a twin engine car keeps crossing my mind and since I have a 1g crx it was of interest to me. My crx is a little nicer than I would like to go after with a sawzall to turn into a twin engined car though.

paul
paul Reader
5/8/10 6:08 p.m.

152hp/168tq in a 2,450 car should run in the 15s no? Still a awesome car...

irish44j
irish44j HalfDork
5/8/10 9:12 p.m.
kb58 wrote: In case there's thoughts of building one... The only way they work well is if the power of both engines is combined before being split between the front and rear axles. Otherwise it'll have diabolical mid-corner handling due to the power coming on at one end before the other. The few cars that exist are always shown going really fast in a straight line, but I suspect they're slower than an equivalent single-engine car on a road course.

does the infamous "durocco" have that problem as well?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
5/8/10 9:23 p.m.

I think the real handling problem isn't power delivery, but instead involves kb58's favorite internet topic-poor design. Often people just use and entire front suspension in the back of a RWD car and just pin the tie rods. Too much rear steering effect through suspension movement without a steering wheel to compensate for it causes spooky handling.

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 Reader
5/10/10 3:05 a.m.

That thing would be mean with a couple k20s in place of those accord engines, hahaha

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/10/10 9:13 a.m.

I loved that car. Not only was it a cool idea, it was pretty nicely finished. And remember that the CRX had grey plastic bumpers at the time, the all-white body with a red pinstripe looked great.

I've got the first issue at home, but not the second. From what I recall, the initial build was not completely successful but the second iteration fixed a bunch of performance and handling problems.

Woody, that's not the original article, but a blog post about it. If there's a link to the original article I didn't spot it :)

pilotbraden
pilotbraden New Reader
5/10/10 9:22 a.m.

Do I remember someone doing a similar swap to a Northstar powered Eldorado?

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/10/10 9:27 a.m.
pilotbraden wrote: Do I remember someone doing a similar swap to a Northstar powered Eldorado?

Mosler Twin Star.

Woody
5/10/10 9:43 a.m.
Keith wrote: Woody, that's not the original article, but a blog post about it. If there's a link to the original article I didn't spot it :)

Guilty. I got lazy. I've got links to the articles somewhere, I just haven't found them yet.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
5/10/10 10:44 a.m.

The twin-engine civic (can't remember who it was built by, and no one seems to know what happened to it,) was even hawter. IIRC, it received flared fenders and sexy tone-on-tone light grey/dark grey paint. There are pics on redpepper somewhere.

Woody
5/10/10 10:58 a.m.

No. That was the Civic with the mid-engine Acura V6 and RWD.

jstein77
jstein77 HalfDork
5/10/10 11:01 a.m.
John Brown wrote:
pilotbraden wrote: Do I remember someone doing a similar swap to a Northstar powered Eldorado?
Mosler Twin Star.

We called it the Death Star.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
5/10/10 11:05 a.m.

Hubba Hubba Honda Honda

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
5/10/10 1:47 p.m.
Woody wrote: No. That was the Civic with the mid-engine Acura V6 and RWD.

Thanks! That's the one. For some reason I thought it was twin-engined...and I don't remember the whole Acura V6 thing. Sometimes the whiskey sludge and bong resin cause weak spark in the old synapses.

Woody
5/10/10 2:07 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: Sometimes the whiskey sludge and bong resin cause weak spark in the old synapses.

Seafoam.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
5/10/10 2:11 p.m.

Damn, that's sexxy. I dig the Renault 5 GT styling.

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 Reader
5/17/10 5:12 a.m.
Woody wrote: No. That was the Civic with the mid-engine Acura V6 and RWD.

I would LOVE to own that car. Ever since I first saw it and read about it I have had a serious hard on for it. Thats 80s pimpin if I've ever seen it...

Anybody know where there is more info on this car online?

Josh

Woody
5/17/10 7:25 a.m.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/759692

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MVq8qJBQWFgtg9xtsSqNFbaK0jRV7y3Y4Nci6Obfkb9ARFimLzn1i35hEueyQM0i