zagato78
zagato78 New Reader
1/5/13 5:06 p.m.

So I'm clearing out the garage. Naturally the empty space starts speaking to me, "you need to put something in there". So, fire up the search engines and I start looking.

I set some parameters for myself. I want power(in excess of 250bhp), rear or awd, manual. I should add some context, i like rally cars. As well, the homogation specials for those cars. While I know that the Lancia Delta, Focus RS, Seat Corsa, Abarth 131, etc were never imported. You'd think that there'd be a couple of cars in that bloodline imported to the States.

Well.... they weren't. The Subie STI and the Golf RS are watered down versions of what the rest of the world recieved. The Merc 190 Cosworth is not only rare, but difficult to service and an Audi Quattro Sport is untouchable.

So, I'm reaching out. What rally based car am I forgetting about? I can't come up with anything.

I need help..

Flight Service
Flight Service UberDork
1/5/13 5:10 p.m.

XR4Ti, Lotus Cortina if you want old school, Austin Mini,

Miata

Flight Service
Flight Service UberDork
1/5/13 5:11 p.m.

well I guess the Mini may be lacking in power. You could do the Lancia Stratus Replica

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
1/5/13 5:16 p.m.

E30 M3 with 2.5 or 2.7 VAC stroker motor should EASILY net your 250+ hp while sounding amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS8AMrBnYHM

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
1/5/13 5:26 p.m.

Volvo 240 flat hood turbo with more boost. Lots more boost.

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
1/5/13 6:08 p.m.

If you are crossing the 190e 16v off your list for only the reasons you mentioned you aren't trying hard enough. If you just don't like it that's different though.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/5/13 6:55 p.m.

Celica All-Trac? just add more boost.

docwyte
docwyte HalfDork
1/5/13 7:25 p.m.

What's your price range?

Mazda 323 GTX, Mitsu Galant VR-4, Suby 2.5RS, Audi Quattro Coupe.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 SuperDork
1/5/13 7:28 p.m.

You can buy my WRX. I'll even drive it to your doorstep.

zagato78
zagato78 New Reader
1/5/13 9:00 p.m.

Now we are getting to the good stuff. The Cortina would be awesome, but getting any real power won't happen with the original engine. But its still cool. The Stratos replica would be fun, but at 6'1, I'm doubting I'd fit.

No Travis, that's not the only reason to eliminate the Cosworth Merc. It wasn't that great of a car.

Celica all-trac, I'm going to look into that more!

Ther Merkur would be ok, but we didn't get the Cossie engine. Just a warmed up 2.3.

Thanks gents, this has helped. That and only 6 more years to legally import a Delta Evo!

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/5/13 9:05 p.m.

Peugeot 405 Mi16 with a turbo and converted to AWD by importing a parts car.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/5/13 9:22 p.m.

Build an Evo 3 from an imported Canadian "Parts" car and a mirage chassis?

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/6/13 8:15 a.m.

For the Cortina, consider a Zetec swap. That would get you in the ballpark.

Also, would you rather have a rally car you can drive around, while sacrificing a bit of comfort, or a rally-inspired street car? If the former, just buy a built Production or Group-2 car and have fun.

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
1/6/13 8:32 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Volvo 240 flat hood turbo with more boost. Lots more boost.

This was going to be my vote; I've always loved the Volvo rally cars.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
1/6/13 9:03 a.m.
zagato78 wrote: I set some parameters for myself. I want power(in excess of 250bhp), rear or awd, manual. I should add some context, i like rally cars. As well, the homogation specials for those cars. So, I'm reaching out. What rally based car am I forgetting about? I can't come up with anything. I need help..

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
1/6/13 9:09 a.m.

John has the winner!

The 190e cosworth is a great car and can still be purchased for a reasonable amount of money.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/6/13 11:48 a.m.

Starlet? RWD, still can be found and swaps galore:

tr8todd
tr8todd Reader
1/6/13 12:44 p.m.

Triumph TR8 with some basic mods hits all of your targets. There was a nearly finished rally built TR7 V8 that sold in Cali a couple of months ago for around $6K.

Interactive
Interactive New Reader
1/7/13 2:02 p.m.

EVO VIII, IX or X Pretty fast easy to get more power out of. Kind of rice-y on the westcoast

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
1/7/13 2:37 p.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

My friend owns this car now, (the bottom one) it has an AMC 390 v8 and a 727 trans in it.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
1/7/13 2:38 p.m.

C4 corvette?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2Aro2TiSCU5V1dCHJ3jhmUpySAY2rDFrmFaMzY3t2rf0v3tENUvsVSdsdfv1jiVc