1 2
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/10/16 12:07 a.m.

The hole in the fleet is understated luxury in a mid to large package. 5 or 7 series BMW are definitely a possibility. But again low key is important. I really like mercs but having to explain to clients that they are not paying me to much is something I have been through and not liked. Puts me on the defensive and that is not a good starting point.

The more I think about it I want/need a car. I have a truck already. It is compleetly unless pos but it is the wife's and she loves it.

So what is the forgotten step child to mercs and BMW. Audi? I have been looking for an a6 4.2 from 04 or 05 but have yet to find a decent one. And I have never driven one.

Saab? I know nothing about them.

I like the cadi option I will look at those.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
3/10/16 12:57 a.m.

i often get tired of looking and just buy whats handy, maybe thats why ive been through 12 cars and trucks in 2 years.

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie HalfDork
3/10/16 4:39 a.m.

Have you considered the Infiniti M series? The 03-04 M45 should be right at the top of your price range. Alternatively, you could get a very nice Q45.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/10/16 5:40 a.m.

If "low key" is important, then any of the German 3 are probably out, regardless of price.

TBH, I was in a similar situation when I bought my '08 Grand Caravan. I needed to get the TDI off the road for service and needed a car NOW. After a bit of searching I went to Car Sense (Car Max type dealer) and pressed the "easy button". 2.5 years and 74K miles later, here I am.

dean1484
3/10/16 7:19 a.m.
szeis4cookie wrote: Have you considered the Infiniti M series? The 03-04 M45 should be right at the top of your price range. Alternatively, you could get a very nice Q45.

I did not even think of this option. I love this one. This also got me thinking a gs400. I have driven ls400 and it was nice but lacked somthing. I could live with it and it was one of those cars that could grow on you I think. I drove a gs400 several years ago and liked it. Had a bit more sport in it and is about as conspicuous as any other Japanese sedan.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/10/16 7:37 a.m.

The Germans aren't low key. Something from Infinity or Acura is probably the best middle ground though Acura hasn't made anything I'd actually want to buy. The low side of that is Buick but they only recently started building things worth buying so they haven't depreciated yet.
How about the STS? The STS-V is probably more than you want to pay, but they're kind of awesome.

dean1484
3/10/16 8:00 a.m.
Ian F wrote: If "low key" is important, then any of the German 3 are probably out, regardless of price. TBH, I was in a similar situation when I bought my '08 Grand Caravan. I needed to get the TDI off the road for service and needed a car NOW. After a bit of searching I went to Car Sense (Car Max type dealer) and pressed the "easy button". 2.5 years and 74K miles later, here I am.

Audi for some reason does not get you the comments that a BMW or Merc will. I don't know why but that is just the way it is. An Audi is considered a practical car (ya I know). It is kind of the German Volvo or Saab. Weird I know but that is the way it is. The jag was this way as well but because most people thought it was a Sable or something.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
3/10/16 8:24 a.m.

Well there you go, Audi station wagon it is! You know what that means?

dean1484
3/10/16 8:42 a.m.
NGTD wrote: Not that this will help but, I don't think that you are not motivated to find a new car. I think you are pissed that that your Jag got totaled. This reaction is perfectly normal in my opinion. Give it a few days and then start looking. Fly and drive to get another Jag? That Volvo seems nice. S60R? Legacy GT? (I know you said you aren't partial to Subaru's, but if you are willing to maintain a Jag, you can care for a Subaru!).

I am really annoyed at this. I knew it was totaled with in hours of the accident and I told the insurance company this. Three days after the car was hit it I got 2 estimates from good shops reputable shops that I know were not embellishing and they came to the same conclusion and passed this on to the insurance co. How come I can look at the car and they can look at the car and come up with estimates that are with in a couple hundred of each other and determine that it is a total. But it takes a MONTH for Amica to. I have been car shopping on and off for a month. I had to take the time to do comprehensive comps on the car as I am sure that we are going in to a new phase of PITA with that.

I don't really give a rats a$$ about this particular car. It is all the aggravation and disruption to my life and now I get to deal with the whole car shopping experience as I need a replacement of some sort. It effects my ability to conduct business. I can not show up in a clapped out 924s or a 94 mustang that looks like a high school kids project. The H2 is out as my wife needs it every day and it is a very polarizing car. First impressions are important in what I do and since I do have to have clients in my car every now and then the car I drive is important. This whole thing has really been a lot more disruptive than it should have been and continues to be. The new phase of actually now being forced to get a car before the rental expires puts a deadline on things that make it even more stressful.

dean1484
3/10/16 8:43 a.m.
KyAllroad wrote: Well there you go, Audi station wagon it is! You know what that means?

Did they make them on the mid 2000's with the 4.2? I don't what a later 4.2 I have done my homework on those and the later motors with the timing chains at the back of the motor are a really bad option.

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie HalfDork
3/10/16 8:44 a.m.

The other suggestion I was going to make was the Acura TL, but Type S's seem to go for more than the top of your budget. If it wasn't for that I feel like that might be the ideal middle ground - comfy and spacious, not too ostentatious, still good to drive.

Alternatively, I've always been curious about the later RL's...

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
3/10/16 9:08 a.m.

In reply to dean1484:

Yup, the V8 models are the belt type. Only available with an automatic though.

If you go with the V6 twin turbo you can get a 6 speed manual box. Get the APR tune and change the timing belts every 70,000 miles.

dean1484
3/10/16 12:45 p.m.

I found this while searching around at lunch.

dean1484
3/10/16 12:46 p.m.

Never driven one but I like the look and it is under 5K all in

dean1484
3/10/16 12:52 p.m.
KyAllroad wrote: In reply to dean1484: Yup, the V8 models are the belt type. Only available with an automatic though. If you go with the V6 twin turbo you can get a 6 speed manual box. Get the APR tune and change the timing belts every 70,000 miles.

I would really like some advice on the Audi A6 motors. I see lots of the V6's and the twin turbos going for stupid short money for VERY nice looking cars. But I have heard heard bad things about them. I started a thread about this. I should follow it up. The early 4.2 seems to be "the answer" but if one of the other motors are decent enough (I am use to German car maintenance) I would not mind one of those.

I am actually looking for a auto trans Car or a manumatic. I am over the manual thing on the street. They are fun on weekends and what not but 5 days a week in traffic no thanks. Give me the two pedal option.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
3/10/16 1:28 p.m.

Like I said, interference motor so don't neglect the timing belt issue. If it lunches that way it's probably cheaper to just buy another car at this point. Turbos can go but usually don't. Automatic is robust and shouldn't cause any problem. Air suspension is getting elderly and should be replaced with lifetime warrantee Arnot units.

Otherwise it's an overbuilt/overengineered German car with the normal foibles that accompany such a thing. I've driven 2.8, 3.0, and 3.2 non turbo V6 Audis and found them to be sorely lacking in the power department. But the 2.7TT (especially after the reflash) was more than perky enough.

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
3/10/16 2:50 p.m.

I daily drive a GS430 and it's a good solid sport sedan with lots of power. It's definitely way more sporting than an LS but is also much smaller and not as isolated from the road. Which can be a plus (is for me) depending on what you're looking for. They're not flashy. They are quite reliable, though at 260k miles I've had to replace two door lock actuators and lube the passenger window tracks and replace the HVAC dampers. That's after routine maintenance. Not bad for, again, 260k miles.

The Mazda 6 wagon is very fun, we have one in a manual transmission as our baby toter car. It's fun to drive, handles well, and is comfortable, but is geared quite low so is a little noisy on the freeway engine wise and gets worse gas mileage than you would expect. I would say around 20 city, 25 highway. Not bad, just not what I would expect from a smallish car with a v6 and a manual. It's been reliable for the year or so that we've had it. The only unexpected repair has been the PCV hose collapsed and split.

Denton
Denton New Reader
3/10/16 9:02 p.m.

Volvo all the way. Up in your world they are as rustproof as they come.

Perhaps a 2007+ S80? Even better with the V8. S60 is a great car too, go 2005+ if you can

NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
3/10/16 9:06 p.m.
dean1484 wrote:
NGTD wrote: Not that this will help but, I don't think that you are not motivated to find a new car. I think you are pissed that that your Jag got totaled. This reaction is perfectly normal in my opinion. Give it a few days and then start looking. Fly and drive to get another Jag? That Volvo seems nice. S60R? Legacy GT? (I know you said you aren't partial to Subaru's, but if you are willing to maintain a Jag, you can care for a Subaru!).
I am really annoyed at this. I knew it was totaled with in hours of the accident and I told the insurance company this. Three days after the car was hit it I got 2 estimates from good shops reputable shops that I know were not embellishing and they came to the same conclusion and passed this on to the insurance co. How come I can look at the car and they can look at the car and come up with estimates that are with in a couple hundred of each other and determine that it is a total. But it takes a MONTH for Amica to. I have been car shopping on and off for a month. I had to take the time to do comprehensive comps on the car as I am sure that we are going in to a new phase of PITA with that. I don't really give a rats a$$ about this particular car. It is all the aggravation and disruption to my life and now I get to deal with the whole car shopping experience as I need a replacement of some sort. It effects my ability to conduct business. I can not show up in a clapped out 924s or a 94 mustang that looks like a high school kids project. The H2 is out as my wife needs it every day and it is a very polarizing car. First impressions are important in what I do and since I do have to have clients in my car every now and then the car I drive is important. This whole thing has really been a lot more disruptive than it should have been and continues to be. The new phase of actually now being forced to get a car before the rental expires puts a deadline on things that make it even more stressful.

I hope it wasn't my comment that annoyed you. If so, I am sorry, I did not intend to offend you.

I can understand that you are ticked off at the process - in the case of your car getting hit you quite often have to deal with the other driver, the police, insurance companies etc. None of whom seem to be in any particular rush to help.

I went through a similar experience last year when a person backed into my wife's Explorer at work and took off. Despite having witnesses and a suspect vehicle the local Police dicked around with it for over 6 weeks and then did nothing. The officer that investigated it took the report, then the next day went on 3 weeks holidays, then came back and went on a course for another week. They never did contact the witnesses. They contacted the owner of the suspect vehicle and they denied it. That was good enough for the officer, despite evidence on the suspect vehicle having a damaged bumper and paint transfer on both vehicles.

I would be pissed in your situation too, considering that through no fault of your own, you end up out of a car, a bunch of lost time and now having a tough time replacing the car after they take a month to conclude it was done.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/10/16 9:26 p.m.

Something like an Accord does a good job of projecting responsibility without making your clients think you're gouging them.

V6/auto has good power, or 4cyl/manual if you want better handling and more involvement.

dean1484
3/10/16 9:35 p.m.

In reply to NGTD:

No I am fine with you. It is the situation and how this has dragged on.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
3/10/16 9:38 p.m.

Pretty sure this is why people go out and lease Kia's for like 150$ a month. Just get something that moves you and costs less then repairs on something used but possibly nicer.

Sometimes you just need to get to work.

Travis_K
Travis_K UberDork
3/10/16 10:23 p.m.

The m45 is a really nice car, I drove one once and I still want one. If you haven't driven one it's worth finding one just to try it.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
3/11/16 12:35 a.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: Update Magnum body style with Charger front sheet metal. Done. (Caution: I have no idea if it bolts on, or if welding is involved.)

I don't think the charger does but the 300c sure will.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
R1nshpPbIA29zYy8Z9GKAMwL78sVUvP7AJoQYtvBL5HQ631LDkUnrQNUSgNroS8j